T3 questions for Keith Wassung

T3 takes some balls, trust me. It was painful getting through those 5x5 and 5x10 squat sessions

Planning on starting this for my squat tomorrow.

Previously been following a 5x5 on my squat for quite a while. Last weeks squats was a PR of 130kg 5x5.

Any advice on where to start with the 5x10 tomorrow? And for the 5x5 and 5x3 days?

Also, will this programme work over 3 weeks or does it need to be 3 sessions over 2 weeks?

Went for 100kg. Was a bitch. Used 2 mins rest after first couple of sets and 2:30 after the rest.

Might have stitched myself up for future weeks.

Also maybe went a bit light on early sets with this then? The idea is to do a weight you can do 10 reps with right? Well if I did 10 on 100kg on last set then surely could have got more on early sets, hence weight was too light?

I posted some stuff in your log, Ally.

yes i have done it, so did flown, but he seems to have gone missing from the forums. Your doing it for squats?

Could I do it for 3 lifts if I do it over 3 weeks?

Something like

Week 1

Day 1
Squat 5x10 + assistance

Day 2
Bench 5x5 + assistance

Day 3

Press 5x3 + assistance

Week 2

Day 1
Squat 5x5 + assistance

Day 2
Bench 5x10 + assistance

Day 3
Press 5x5 + assistance

Week 3

Day 1
Squat 5x3 + assistance

Day 2
Bench 5x3 + assistance

Day 3
Press 5x10 + assistance

KW doesn't recommend pressing and benching with the T3 program. Jaunty asked him about it in the past.

Through consulting with Keith and Tosa, Jaunty developed a program known as Tossung singles to work his press, which works nicely with T3 bench.

I'm sure Jaunty will come along soon enough and explain, or you could PM him/visit his log.

If you're running this over three weeks perhaps you can press and bench...but imo squat in the middle of the week. This also depends on assistance.

If you're running this over three weeks perhaps you can press and bench...but imo squat in the middle of the week. This also depends on assistance.

I'd prefer to squat in the beginning of the week or on weekends.

You could always use ohp as an assistance movement once a week or so. These are just my tentative suggestions. With any luck keith will have an answer:)

I'll probably just do bench and squat over 3 weeks then.

I believe that Keith usually recommends using T3 on an exercise that is done 3 or 4 times in 2 weeks, e.g. Monday & Friday week 1 + Wednesday week 2, or simply every Monday and Friday. I am moving to a simple approach of squatting and benching on Monday and Friday (using T3), and deadlifting and OHP on Wednesday (using other programming).

I haven't discussed this with Keith, but I think that part of the point of T3 is that you do quite a lot of total volume, but that you can handle it because you cycle the set/rep schemes. I don't think that doing it on an exercise done only twice in two weeks would give you that.

I believe that Keith usually recommends using T3 on an exercise that is done 3 or 4 times in 2 weeks, e.g. Monday & Friday week 1 + Wednesday week 2, or simply every Monday and Friday. I am moving to a simple approach of squatting and benching on Monday and Friday (using T3), and deadlifting and OHP on Wednesday (using other programming).

I haven't discussed this with Keith, but I think that part of the point of T3 is that you do quite a lot of total volume, but that you can handle it because you cycle the set/rep schemes. I don't think that doing it on an exercise done only twice in two weeks would give you that.

So would you recommend the Bench/Squat/Bench then Squat/Bench/Squat cycle over just Squat/Bench then Squat/Bench then Squat/Bench?

What's your opinion on Juggernaut type programs which are similar to this except each of the rep cycles are drawn out longer (1 month each). Basically, what do you guys think of Juggernaut :p?

So would you recommend the Bench/Squat/Bench then Squat/Bench/Squat cycle over just Squat/Bench then Squat/Bench then Squat/Bench?

You mean 3x T3 days a week, cycling between the two, rather than 2x T3 days a week, cycling between the two, right? I.E.

Week One
Monday- T3 squat 5x10 day
Wednesday- T3 bench 5x10 day
Friday- T3 squat 5x5 day

Week Two
Monday- T3 bench 5x5 day
Wednesday- T3 squat 5x3 day
Friday- T3 bench 5x3 day

This is definitely better than doing each just once a week- more volume, and it is nice to get through a full cycle of both exercises in two weeks. I think this template was actually proposed by Keith.

In case you are interested... I didn't go for that template myself because I could find a really nice way to get deadlift and overhead work in, so I came up with

Monday- T3 squat, T3 bench & row or press & chins (alternating)
Wednesday- 5/3/1 deadlift, T3 bench & row or press & chins (alternating)
Friday- T3 squat, T3 bench & row or press & chins (alternating)

So squatting twice a week, doing each pressing movement three times in two weeks with a complementary pull, deadlifting once a week. I have absolutely loved this template, but now I want to specialize in bench for a while, so am changing to

Monday- T3 squat, T3 bench, row
Wednesday- 5/3/1 deadlift, overhead, chins

I bring this up partly to show you that it is possible to to a couple of T3-programmed lifts on the same day. I know you do wrestling as well, but if I can do it at the age of 38, I would guess that you can do it, and have energy to spare for sports, at the age of 16.

I didn't go for that template myself because I could find a really nice way to get deadlift and overhead work in, so I came up with

Monday- T3 squat, T3 bench & row or press & chins (alternating)
Wednesday- 5/3/1 deadlift, T3 bench & row or press & chins (alternating)
Friday- T3 squat, T3 bench & row or press & chins (alternating)

So squatting twice a week, doing each pressing movement three times in two weeks with a complementary pull, deadlifting once a week. I have absolutely loved this template, but now I want to specialize in bench for a while, so am changing to

Wednesday- 5/3/1 deadlift, overhead, chins

I bring this up partly to show you that it is possible to to a couple of T3-programmed lifts on the same day. I know you do wrestling as well, but if I can do it at the age of 38, I would guess that you can do it, and have energy to spare for sports, at the age of 16.

I've stopped wrestling due to academic reasons, so most of my time is just school and lifting. I think I'll be OK with giving up deadlifting and pressing for a bit. I suppose some pulling (RDLs perhaps?) could be a useful squat assistance. How's this look?

Week 1
Mon: T3 Squat, RDL, Ab rollouts
Tues: 100 BW chins
Wed: T3 Bench, pushups, db rows
Thurs: 100 BW chins
Fri: T3 Squat, RDL, Ab rollouts

week 2
Mon: T3 Bench, OHP, db rows
Tues: 100 BW chins
Wed: T3 Squat, GMs, Leg curls
Thurs: 100 BW chins
Fri: T3 Bench, OHP, DB rows

I'll probably do dips for bench assistance once I DIY myself up a station for them. I'd like to get better at bodyweight exercises and also lose some weight, so I figure some high rep assistance work can only help.

Back