T3 questions for Keith Wassung

Tried this for the first time today, bench.

Not having a clue where I'd be on the weight for reps I did 135 lbs.
Trying to get a feel for this thing, with no spotter available, I left 135 for the whole thing, so...
135 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10: 6750 total.
Right?

I think my next time around will be very different.

Bubble - bench is one of the exercises I'm trying this out for too, I workout alone so never have a spotter, what I'm doing is one armed dumb bell presses, that way if shit happens I'm just one free arm away from "halving the load" so to speak. Plus they're much easier to just drop.

Bubble - bench is one of the exercises I'm trying this out for too, I workout alone so never have a spotter, what I'm doing is one armed dumb bell presses, that way if shit happens I'm just one free arm away from "halving the load" so to speak. Plus they're much easier to just drop.

Man, I LOVE uni-lateral dumbbell benching. I see that crap about standing on half bosu balls to do their curls, so I am turned off by the phrase "core training", but damnit, there's a lot to be said for balancing and pressing a heavy db. Same goes for pulling too, one arm bent over rows.

Plus it looks pretty cool once you get heavy and you got those huge bulky hex dumbbells.:icon_chee

Tried this for the first time today, bench.

Not having a clue where I'd be on the weight for reps I did 135 lbs.
Trying to get a feel for this thing, with no spotter available, I left 135 for the whole thing, so...
135 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10: 6750 total.
Right?

I think my next time around will be very different.

ok, sort of, you got it started and that is what is important.

For the most part, you dont want to have all of your sets with the same weight, though there is a time and place for that. For example. Lets say your last 5x10 total tonnage was 9950. You could do 200x5x10 and that would be 10,000 and then the next time do 205x10, 200x4x10 as a way of increasing workload--but you dont want do that very often. You can even do one of your back-off sets as sort of a combined warm-up/first set and that is ok, to do, but you really want most of your sets to be progressively declining in poundages as the sets progress. You want to time ( hence the name Timed Total Tonnage) each particular workout-
the time it takes you to complete is up to you and it really does not matter as long as you complete each type of workout within the time parameters, so 5x10 will probably take longer than 5xx5, which will take longer than 5x3, so plan accordingly. You dont want strength increases to be due to longer resting times so its vital that the time parameters be consistent

ok, sort of, you got it started and that is what is important.

For the most part, you dont want to have all of your sets with the same weight, though there is a time and place for that. For example. Lets say your last 5x10 total tonnage was 9950. You could do 200x5x10 and that would be 10,000 and then the next time do 205x10, 200x4x10 as a way of increasing workload--but you dont want do that very often. You can even do one of your back-off sets as sort of a combined warm-up/first set and that is ok, to do, but you really want most of your sets to be progressively declining in poundages as the sets progress. You want to time ( hence the name Timed Total Tonnage) each particular workout-
the time it takes you to complete is up to you and it really does not matter as long as you complete each type of workout within the time parameters, so 5x10 will probably take longer than 5xx5, which will take longer than 5x3, so plan accordingly. You dont want strength increases to be due to longer resting times so its vital that the time parameters be consistent

Ok thanks, cleared up a lot for me. I think this is going to be fun.

Bubbles, if my experience so far is any indicator, initially you're going to have some sets where you choose a weight that's far too light or far too heavy for the target number of reps. No biggie.

When you start your second cycle (and then your third, etc.) review the workout from the previous cycle and make an educated guess re: what weight to use.

For example -- before you do the first workout of your second cycle, you could tentatively plan on doing something like 155, 145, 135, 125, 115.

When you actually start the workout, you may find that you only get 8 reps at 155 and your arms feel like lead afterward, so maybe you opt to do your second set at 135.

On the other hand, maybe you tear through 10 reps at 155 and feel great and choose to do a second set at 155.

It's an adjustment process. But like Keith said in his lengthy description, after a few cycles you'll get it pretty well nailed down.

It is interesting in that I have met folks who had no more than a 50lb difference between their top set and their bottom set on the bench press 5x10, and other people ( such as myself, have a HUGE drop-off on sets 4 and 5) I would reach a fatigue point where it did not matter if I had 200lbs or 100lbs, it was still a killer. I think my best ever set of 10 was around 370 or so and by the 5th set, I was at 185-190.

keith

Thanks. I have a rack available that I can bench in without a spotter. Depending on how it's been left from the previous user, it can take up to 5 minutes to set up for benching. I was being lazy and didn't bother.

I love one armed benching btw.

>FLAK: Sounds about right, thanks.
>KW: "I think my best ever set of 10 was around 370 or so and by the 5th set, I was at 185-190.":eek:

Inspired by this idea I did the following today:

- Pullups 5x16,25kg/4x5x15kg @ 85kg
so 2507,25kg or ~5530lbs in 15 mins
[originally I had planned to do it in 20 mins but that is too long, the weights were chosen too light but I still loved it]

- Frontsquat 3x95kg/2x3x90kg/2x3x92,5kg
so 1380kg or ~3040lbs in 20 mins

- OHP [strict] 2x8x50kg/3x8x47,5kg
so 1940kg or ~ 4280lbs in 20mins

That was a fantastic workout. I probably gonna do this every second workout and change the repschemes through 10/5/3 every time I do it.

Thx, Keith.

So by timing u mean getting every set done as qucik as possible in a safe manner? Also if im doing this program could u give a template for the 2 week scheme with other lifts and such

I'm glad this thread was revived, I had forgotten all about it. My new bench program!

*hugs and fondles new bench program*

So by timing u mean getting every set done as qucik as possible in a safe manner? Also if im doing this program could u give a template for the 2 week scheme with other lifts and such

that's one way. Another way would be to time the total session

How is this working out for you guys that are still doing it.

Really cool thread....I am also interested in how people have progressed. Bubble boy, did you hit that 250 yet?

Still planning on writing that thread about your ways of obtaining free gym workout invitations?

How is this working out for you guys that are still doing it.

I still like it :D. I have exchanged the OHP for the Benchpress though, because my shoulders didn't like the higher volume days too much....
The 5x10 on the squat are tough. I stick with that program until I got enough but I feel like I could make gains with it for a long time.

There is one question that has been nagging me and prevents me from training the T3.
I hope someone can help me.

Should the T3 primarly be used for one movement per training session or can the T3 be used for several lifting excercises. How would one make a program so that the T3 can be used for several movements?

There is one question that has been nagging me and prevents me from training the T3.
I hope someone can help me.

Should the T3 primarly be used for one movement per training session or can the T3 be used for several lifting excercises. How would one make a program so that the T3 can be used for several movements?

I used the T3 this way:

Day 1:

Pullups 5x3 (T3)
Frontsquat 5x5 (T3)
OHP 5x8 (T3)

Day 2:

Assistancestuff

Day 3:

Pullups 5x5 (T3)
Frontsquat 5x10 (T3)
OHP 5x3 (T3)

Day 4:

Assistancestuff

Day 5:

Pullups 5x10
Frontsquat 5x3
OHP 5x5

I lifted 3 times per week.
Made great gains in size and strength. Especially in the OHP and Frontsquat. Not so much in the Pullup.
The reason I stopped was simply because I couldn't handle it recoverywise. But I guess if you build in some deload (which I didn't) you can make great gains for a very long time.

Once the progress on the 531 stagnates for me I plan to use the T3 again.

I'm bumping this.

Seems like an interesting approach. I might try it with my squat, then maybe my old nemesis, the bench.

Back