T-Dub vs GSP: Who wins now

doesnt matter

many people said gsp (even without college wrestling) was the best mma wrestler in history
canada even wanted him for their olympic team

I don't see GSP beating Matt Gentry for the Olympic spot

I disagree. Gsp wouldn't be able to strike against tyrannosaurus woodley. His muay thai is too good. I mean he just destroyed robby lawler.

GSP would do to Woodley what he did to Kos.

Woodley lost to Rory handily. GSP would emply a similar gameplan and do the same.

If GSP comes back at 60% of what he used to be, he still wins.

I think people have forgotten how good he was. He was a lot more just a good wrestler

giphy.gif
Woodley is the way tougher match. Johny Hendricks was GSP toughest fight since His losses. Woodley is a bigger faster version of Hendricks.

Thanks for admitting you have no idea what you're talking about :)

And, no he's not. Hendricks is a southpaw, Woodley is orthodox. That makes a world of difference. You'd know that, if you had a clue about the fight game.

Yep, you are pretty new to this huh? The reason Lawler is a tougher match is EXACTLY because GSP couldn't freely jab him and take him down. That's a VERY obvious fact about that match up.

You mentioned that Lawler has lost to almost every wrestler he's faced? First, that's incorrect. Secondly, it's ESPECIALLY incorrect when looking at this run at WW since he dropped back down. Lawler faced Hendricks x 2, Kos, Ellenberger, and Woodley, as well as Rory MacDonald who while not a wrestler, has very strong takedowns (he took Woodley down, after all). Lawler has had no issues at WW with wrestling. He was only taken down a hand full of times and each time he was able to make it to his feet with little issue. Since his return to WW, Lawler has shown exceptional TDD, scrambling ability, and an ability to punish wrestler from the sprawl position.

In his WW run, the only instance where wrestling bit him in the ass was in round 5 of his first fight with Hendricks, where after getting rocked, he was taken down at the end of the round.

Nothing about GSP's last couple fights (Diaz and Hendricks) suggest he'd easily be able to take Robbie down. Given Robbie's success at stopping the takedown at WW, GSP would surely have to work harder for it.

That, and Lawler is a Southpaw. A southpaw who truly knows how to strike as a southpaw. Watch Lawler fight against Jabbers (like Rory MacDonald). He uses his lead hand to shut down the jab, both because he's skilled at it and because shutting down a left jab as a southpaw is far easier (lead hands naturally block in the southpaw vs orthodox mach up).

So, against Lawler, GSP not only has to deal with a skilled power house striker who knows how to keep it on the feet, he's facing a guy who shuts down his #1 weapon on the feet.

Now, look at Woodley. Woodley has that dangerous right hand on the feet (I challenge you to show me any Woodley fight where anything but his right hand is a danger as far as his boxing goes). What's the best weapon to have against a guy like that? The jab.

GSP has drawn out many overhands throughout his career by sitting behind his jab. He has the reach and skill with it to stay safe from that punch 90% of the time (really, only Serra ever connected clean on GSP with that punch). Woodley has also shown weakness to guys who are able to maintain the distance on the feet (MacDonald notably, even Shields shut down a lot of Wooldey's striking by keeping his distance).

Wooldey hasn't been able to use his wrestling against another elite wrestler since coming to the UFC, so expecting him to be effective with it against GSP is unlikely. If anything, GSP is going to utilize the treat of the takedown between the two.

Lastly, Woodley slows down as the fight continues. Unless he blasts GSP early (which, between the threat of the takedown and jabs, is unlikely), GSP's going to have little trouble doing what Rory has already done. Keep the range, jab him up, and take him down when the chance presents itself.

I mean, just look at Wooldey's fight with Rory. Rory easily took him apart utilizing the threat of the takedown as well as a long jab and strikes. GSP can use that EXACT gameplan and do it just as well as Rory.

The difference between Woodley and Lawler is that Lawler actively shuts down GSP's two biggest weapons. On the feet, he takes away GSP's jab. And he would likely make wrestling a difficult ordeal. Woodley however leaves GSP ith his biggest weapon on the feet. While he may cancel out the wrestling early on as well (like Lawler), GSP has always made his wrestling work better against guys he can set up with his jab.

So, that's why. Woodley's striking game comes down to his right hand. And the right hand strategy has ALWAYS been a bad one against GSP.

Your whole post assumes GSP is still in his prime years, which he is not. Who was the last guy GSP faced that could swing their right hand like Woodley? Woodley's reach and speed make him a big problem. GSP has had 2 ACL surgeries now.

GSP would do to Woodley what he did to Kos.

Woodley lost to Rory handily. GSP would emply a similar gameplan and do the same.
No way. Woodly is a way better wrestler than koscheck, and more accomplished than gsp.

He was a d1 champ at mizzou

giphy.gif
Woodley is the way tougher match. Johny Hendricks was GSP toughest fight since His losses. Woodley is a bigger faster version of Hendricks. Woodley would be a nightmare of a matchup for GSP.
love the gif!

but dude- he laid out a pretty good argument, imo

and it's not like you didn't ask for it

Your whole post assumes GSP is still in his prime years, which he is not. Who was the last guy GSP faced that could swing their right hand like Woodley? Woodley's reach and speed make him a big problem. GSP has had 2 ACL surgeries now.

Perhaps. No one knows how GSP is going to look coming back.

But last time we saw GSP fight, his jabs were still sharp, his takedowns were still good enough to takedown everyone he faced to some extent.

Which GSP am I supposed to use to make a prediction if not the last version we saw? That's who I'm using. Not a prime GSP.

Woodley has shown NONE of the skills that trouble GSP. And not only that, GSP has shown the EXACT skills that trouble Woodley.

If this isn't obvious, than I'm not sure what to say. There's a reason why Rory MacDonald (another Tristar fighter with a strong, long jab and a good double leg) made easy work of T-Wood.

Thanks for admitting you have no idea what you're talking about :)

And, no he's not. Hendricks is a southpaw, Woodley is orthodox. That makes a world of difference. You'd know that, if you had a clue about the fight game.
So hendricks gave GSP trouble because hes an southpaw lol ? hahhahahahha. This isnt boxing or kickboxing lol. The reason Hendricks gave GSP trouble is because hes a giant wrestler with sledge hammers in hands who could negate GSP takedowns. GSP couldnt simply take Hendricks down at will and was force to trade and not dictate the pace of the fight like he usually does. Woodley is basically a bigger more athletic faster version of Johny. Woodley would be a nightmare of a matchup for GSP. Your ether delusional or dont know wtf you talking about.

Perhaps. No one knows how GSP is going to look coming back.

But last time we saw GSP fight, his jabs were still sharp, his takedowns were still good enough to takedown everyone he faced to some extent.

Which GSP am I supposed to use to make a prediction if not the last version we saw? That's who I'm using. Not a prime GSP.

Woodley has shown NONE of the skills that trouble GSP. And not only that, GSP has shown the EXACT skills that trouble Woodley.

If this isn't obvious, than I'm not sure what to say. There's a reason why Rory MacDonald (another Tristar fighter with a strong, long jab and a good double leg) made easy work of T-Wood.
I agree with you...

if Rory made Woodley look that out of place in the cage, GSP would make it an even tougher night for Tyron imo

this assuming that GSP's skills/physical ability hasn't dropped off too much

No way. Woodly is a way better wrestler than koscheck, and more accomplished than gsp.

He was a d1 champ at mizzou

Who has Wodley taken down in the octagon? Condit? Can't think of anyone else. I do believe that is the only guy he's takendown in his UFC run. Kos showed far better MMA wrestling, especially when he was facing GSP. Kos took down some very impressive fighters, and furthermore, was able to keep them down (GSP, Hendricks, AJ, etc). That's better than the wrestling T-Wood has shown.

And sure. Tyrone is more dangerous on the feet. He's faster and hits harder. But he doesn't present much beyond Kos as far as the way he attacks. He's all about his right hand. And GSP jabs fuckers like that into the ground.

Who has Wodley taken down in the octagon? Condit? Can't think of anyone else. I do believe that is the only guy he's takendown in his UFC run. Kos showed far better MMA wrestling, especially when he was facing GSP. Kos took down some very impressive fighters, and furthermore, was able to keep them down (GSP, Hendricks, AJ, etc). That's better than the wrestling T-Wood has shown.

And sure. Tyrone is more dangerous on the feet. He's faster and hits harder. But he doesn't present much beyond Kos as far as the way he attacks. He's all about his right hand. And GSP jabs fuckers like that into the ground.
Tyron uses his wrestling in reverse to keep the fight standing, which is more effective against GSP than trying to take him down.

So hendricks gave GSP trouble because hes an southpaw lol ? hahhahahahha. This isnt boxing or kickboxing lol. The reason Hendricks gave GSP trouble is because hes a giant wrestler with sledge hammers in hands who could negate GSP takedowns. GSP couldnt simply take Hendricks down at will and was force to trade and not dictate the pace of the fight like he usually does. Woodley is basically a bigger more athletic faster version of Johny. Woodley would be a nightmare of a matchup for GSP. Your ether delusional or dont know wtf you talking about.

Kos is a heavy handed, giant wrestler that did negate GSP's takedowns in the second fight.

So, why did GSP beat the living fuck out of him? Oh, right, because he had his jab.

What was GSP lacking against Hendricks? Oh right, his jab.

Woodley is nothing like Hendricks, and that should be pretty obious.

• Since joining the UFC, The only person Woodley has used his wrestling against is Condit. Hendricks has takendown the majority of his opponents.
  • Hendricks is a southpaw who hand fights with his lead hand. Woodley is an orthodox fighter who rely's on winging his right hand.
  • Hendricks has never had problems against fighters who use jabs. Woodley lost to the one good jabber he faced.
It's actually funny you say "this isn't boxing or kickboxing". Woodley has ONLY used his boxing against everyone he has faced in the UFC, save for Condit.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Come back with some evidence or don't come back at all. Cheap insults aren't going to get you anywhere. It's ok to be new to combat sports, but seriously, pull your head out of your ass.

Tyron uses his wrestling in reverse to keep the fight standing, which is more effective against GSP than trying to take him down.

Again, you're wrong.

Kos did that exact strategy. And his striking is more similar to Woodley's than Hendricks' is.

It worked out awfully for Kos.

I've been over this. Try to keep up.

Again, you're wrong.

Kos did that exact strategy. And his striking is more similar to Woodley's than Hendricks' is.

It worked out awfully for Kos.

I've been over this. Try to keep up.
tyron-woodley-ufc-167-knockout.gif
koscheck-stoppage.gif
How is Koscheck like Woodley again ?
You+just+went+full+retard+never+go+full+retard.jpg

I was thinking about this like an hour ago. Suuuuuper tough match up for GSP...especially after a long layoff(ring rust is just mental weakness though ;) ). I think Woodley would win as sad as it is to say... Georges wouldn't be able to get him down before he got blasted by one of those bombs of his he calls fists.

I don't even care what your prediction was. Only the biggest asshole on the planet even poses the question.

Welcome to the site buckwheat.

Back