Systema

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Gfreak, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Gfreak

Gfreak Purple Belt

Ok, so I've heard some pretty crazy shit about systema (which, from what I"ve heard, am assuming is true) But...i came across this guy on youtube and just had to share it

YouTube - SystemaSpetsNaz's Channel

He's got a bunch of videos, and on one of them....he claims that some people can travel into a 4th demention to "control" another persons psyche, or something like that...haha Just watch it for y'all's selves.

2. Gfreak

Gfreak Purple Belt

Yea, I understand the part 'bout them training full contact and all, but do you really believe in that "no contact" fighting stuff?

3. AdamL

AdamL Green Belt

I have a better approach: Systemrunaway. I think programs like these give people a false sense of security. These videos typically show a passive slow-moving "attacker" who goes limp as a wet noodle as soon as the instructor starts applying a technique. I've been fortunate enough to not experience being attacked by some nutcase with a knife, but I am willing to bet that they're not going to just slowly thrust at me with their blade, and then respond like a deer caught in headlights should I attempt some sort of defense that doesn't involve them watching Nike logos moving away from them as fast as possible when I run like hell.

4. mjw1

mjw1 Blue Belt

Looks a lot like akido or something of that nature atleast with the main video which was knife defence......

5. TheKrakan

TheKrakan White Belt

The techniques look solid, but they are performed very slow in the vid. Maybe it is just the presentation, but when I see the standard attack, block, strike, takedown finish with one strike performed at 1/2 speed it makes me a little suspicious. I learned how to disarm villians who attack in a halfmoon stance at Fred Vallari's when I was 12.

6. Kozbot

Kozbot Purple Belt

its crap and will always be crap

7. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP ^Korean Chef Kevin Lee, NOT Fighter Kevin Lee

as legit as they come

8. Tempo

Tempo Brown Belt

I find all these self defense things like this are just bullshit. And you are more likely to get injured by trying it, if a guy is coming at you with a knife and you aint got anything my idea is to get the fuck out of there..
    Yeah the guy can do it in a controled enviroment, im sure his "students" are impressed as they come at him really slow, but honestly if a guy is coming at you with a knife are they going to slowly try to stab you? no they are going to fly at you with the thing.

Like i said, its best to run..

9. mjw1

mjw1 Blue Belt

^^^^
    Or pull out the hand gun and blast his ass!!!!

10. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

Alot of those knife takes aways are going to to get you sliced up if done under ideal circumstances. I would hate to see in bad situations. The Instructor demonstrating ran his hand, arms and leg across the cutting edge on several of those demos.

11. Armycombative

Armycombative White Belt

somewhere between hell and a hand grenade
    I don't know about this video, but Systema is not bullshit. Russian Spetsnaz are no bullshit. Russians have a good bit of contact with all kinds of martial arts. They did like several others have done. Taken what they can adapt for their needs and make it their own.

12. robin101

robin101 White Belt

What i love about military technical arts like systema, krav maga, combat sambo etc is that they show you a load of cool looking techniques for grappling, take downs etc, but when the resistant sparring happens, it always goes the same way, they try that stuff a couple of times, non of it works and it comes down to punch, kicks and basic wrestling. Watch the krav maga ep of "human weapon" its exactly the same at the israeli military compound.

13. thirteen

thirteen Brown Belt

14. LEGS MAHONEY

LEGS MAHONEY genetically modified man shark

after seeing that chi slap video where that fat systema instructor palm strikes his student gently to make him feel different emotions on cue, i gotta say it's hard to take this style seriously.:icon_chee

15. robin101

robin101 White Belt

Is that what All systema teaches, or does that teacher represent systema the same way no touch knockout dilman represents karate i.e only the nutjob fringe? cant dismiss a whole art based on a couple of whack jobs, or goodbye, karate (no touch knock outs) , Kung fu (a load of weird chi gung stuff like invulnerability etc) and many others.

16. LEGS MAHONEY

LEGS MAHONEY genetically modified man shark