International Syria Discussions, v2: Turkey and Syria Trade Deadly Strikes, As Russia Watches Uneasily.

Oil (and natural gas) isn't a US national security issue anymore. Current fracking and already discovered but unused fracking fields covers it. We're energy independent for the next 100 years. Longterm, America's going to be pulling out of the ME for that reason. Unless one of the democrats wins the election bans fracking like some of the leading candidates have promised, then we're back to 2003 and peak oil all over again.

Oil (and natural gas) is still a national security issue for Europe but that isn't really our problem. That's Europe's problem and it thus requires European solutions. I'm actually very curious to see how Europe crafts their militaries, especially in regards to funding and force projection, and foreign policy going forward as its foreign interests decouple from America's in the post-Soviet and post-peak-oil (for America) era.

We in the US, actually don't. 300 million people in one of the most resource rich areas spanning the length of a continent.

The growth model needs global markets, but the American people don't.

It maybe beneficial to grow the pie(atleast for some), but it isn't needed.

Our currency is still very much wrapped up and supported by the petro dollar.

I do agree that if we pulled back europe would be left with their ass in the breeze and would realize real quick why america put so much money into the military and policing the globe.

While it is true we dont need it so much any more it is also true we dont want the chinese and russians to expand their sphere of influence.

Isolationism is very much a utopian dream like what libertarians and communists think and in my opinion something that wont work out for the best . I do think we are in a damned if you do and damned if you dont kind of position.

Im very much alarmed that China is quietly taking over africa where all the technology minerals are mined and dont think that is going to be a good thing either.

You know about the american jesus ? Im fearful that hes inside me.

It's time to let others fight over this blood soaked sands!

It's time for our troops to fight over this oil soaked land.

Does America really need all that foreign oil? If I am not mistaken USA is now the largest oil producer .

I get that by seizing foreign oil production the US can control the market at their will but is it really worth all that trouble?

This is not rhetorical question I am legit curious.

We in the US, actually don't. 300 million people in one of the most resource rich areas spanning the length of a continent.

The growth model needs global markets, but the American people don't.

It maybe beneficial to grow the pie(atleast for some), but it isn't needed.

It’s horse shit. People assume we’re still in Afghanistan to steal resources when there’s hardly any US companies in there meanwhile China has trillions in deals in Afghanistan.

We went to steal Iraqi oil but the majority of companies invested in Iraq are not US companies.

My guess is to keep it as a bargaining chip for Syrian Kurds or to keep it out of the hands of Turkey or Assad

You are all correct.

We have been cutting down our oil import from the Middle East to the tune of over half a million barrels per day since it's cheaper to pump our own crude. This is public information available to anyone who could read.

It takes a special kind of stupid to insenuate that the world's top oil producer actually needs to "steal Syrian oil", a reserve that amounts to a drop in the bucket, not to mention the astronomically high operational costs of pumping oil in a war zone compare to the cheap and plentiful shale in the Permian basin, or the half-price crude from Alberta, Canada.

But then again, I don't really expect any of the usual idiots with cognitive dissonance to base their argument in reality, even if they were just crying last week about the possibility that ISIS insurgency (in the East) might make a come-back when the U.S withdrew from the Turkish border (in the North), and are now angry again that the oil fields currently under SDF control will stays under the SDF control instead of falling into the hand of ISIS (or Assad, or Putin, or Erdogan, or the "moderate" Syrian rebels fighting alongside Turkish forces).

Last edited:
U.S. send troops to northeastern Syria to protect oil fields from ISIS, Pentagon says
OCTOBER 24, 2019

syria-oil-fields-isis.png

A look at where U.S. military assets would be deployed to assist troops protecting oil fields from being recaptured by ISIS.

A Pentagon official said Thursday that the U.S. is planning to send additional troops into northeastern Syria to protect oil fields from ISIS. The announcement comes as Russia, which has gained new power in the region, ordered all U.S. troops out of the country and called the remaining American troops an "occupying force."

While most U.S. troops are withdrawing from Syria, the Pentagon is planning a major increase in firepower to protect the ones left behind. If approved, a combat unit armed with tanks would be sent into an area along the Euphrates River to reinforce about 200 lightly armed troops who are staying in Syria to protect the oil fields.

"One of the most significant gains by the U.S. and our partners in the fight against ISIS was gaining control of oil fields in Eastern Syria — a crucial source of revenue for ISIS," a defense official said.

Senator Lindsey Graham said he was briefed on the situation Thursday by Joint Chiefs Chairman General Mark Milley.

"There's a plan coming together from the Joint Chiefs, that I think may work, that may give us what we need to prevent ISIS from coming back around," he said.

www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/turkey-syria-news-us-plans-to-send-additional-troops-to-syria-to-protect-oil-fields-from-isis-pentagon-says/
Not gonna lie. Being stationed in Syria would make me nervous. ISIS and similar groups are well trained and have a good chunk of combat experience from the multiple battlefields in that region. The Syrian Civil War is going for 8 years already.

These groups are well armed and well trained, it's not like when we invaded Afghanistan and were fighting glorified farmers with AKs

Not gonna lie. Being stationed in Syria would make me nervous. ISIS and similar groups are well trained and have a good chunk of combat experience from the multiple battlefields in that region. The Syrian Civil War is going for 8 years already.

These groups are well armed and well trained, it's not like when we invaded Afghanistan and were fighting glorified farmers with AKs

I'm against us getting into the middle of the Syrian civil war without a legal mandate, but I'm okay with allocating some of the troops previously guarding the Turkish border to oil-rich Deir al-Zour to help the SDF keeping ISIS insurgents at bay. After all, our entire veneer of legality for being in Syria in the first place is to fight terrorists under the AUMF. That's ISIS - not Assad's government, or Russia, or Turkey, and we all know ISIS' #1 source of revenue is oil smuggling.

Now the real interesting question is that after Assad gain the upper-hand, does he intends to continue attacking the last pockets of terrorists remaining in the East, or keeping them there to be a pain in the Kurds' ass.

Last edited:
Since ISIS was defeated as a conventional army, I didn’t even consider them but you’re right and that is probably the most likely reason.

US foreign policy is bad enough, we don’t need to lie to criticize it. But this is the internet age, facts don’t matter, headlines and 15 second sound bites are what matter.
Instead of ISIS I should say terrorists or bad guys in general. The so called moderate rebels led by Turkey have their ranks filled with islamists and AQ sympathizers.
On the other hand Turkey must be concerned that the YPG will use the oil money to support the PKK, but with American troops on the ground it's likely they will, at least for the time being, not funnel too much money to the PKK.

I'm against us getting into the middle of the Syrian civil war without a legal mandate, but I'm okay with allocating some of the troops previously guarding the Turkish border to oil-rich Deir al-Zour to help the SDF keeping ISIS insurgents at bay. After all, our entire premise of being in Syria in the first place is to fight ISIS, not Assad, or Russia, or Turkey, and we all know ISIS' #1 source of revenue is oil smuggling.

Now the real interesting question is that after Assad gain the upper-hand, does he intends to continue attacking the last pockets of terrorists remaining in the East, or keeping them there to be a pain in the Kurds' ass.
You do realize though that Trump does not GAF about your reasoning for being there right? He would pull out entirely tomorrow if not for the oil and the power controlling oil gives in the region. It is not, as you say that the US needs the crude for consumption, Trump wants its for US corporate interests and power and control in the region. He is very plain talking about it (refreshingly so) going back years in the interviews i posted. For him, it is really only about controlling the oil. Fuck the people, who cares about the terrorists. Let them slaughter each other and just grab the oil.

And also lets recognize Trump is supporting endless wars and increasing troop positions well beyond what they were before he came to power despite his rhetoric. Lets get the useful idiots out of this discussion and call a spade a spade.

Again I find Trumps honesty here actually refreshing even if i don't agree with as he is not hiding behind all the specious reasoning prior POTUS's did and will put the American people to the true and honest test.

'Do you stay. Do you seize control and power to control the oil. Fuck the people.'

ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi believed to have been killed in a US military raid in Northwest Syria
Oct 26, 2019

ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is believed to have been killed in a raid conducted by the US military in northwest Syria on Saturday, according to a senior US defense official and a source with knowledge. The final confirmation is pending while DNA and biometric testing is conducted, both sources tell CNN.

The defense official said it appears that Baghdadi detonated a suicide vest during the raid.

The CIA assisted in locating the ISIS leader, the defense official said.

Newsweek first reported that Baghdadi was believed to have been killed.

President Donald Trump is scheduled to make a major announcement Sunday at 9 a.m., White House deputy press secretary Hogan Gidley announced. An administration official told CNN that the announcement is foreign policy related.

The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Baghdadi, the leader of the terror group, has been in hiding for the last five years. In April, a video was published by the ISIS media wing al-Furqan that showed a man purporting to be Baghdadi. It was the first time Baghdadi has been seen since July 2014, when he spoke at the Great Mosque in Mosul.

In February 2018, several US officials said Baghdadi had been wounded in an airstrike in May 2017 and had to relinquish control of the terror group for up to five months because of his injuries.

Baghdadi became the leader of Islamic State of Iraq (ISI) in 2010. In 2013, ISI declared its absorption of an al Qaeda-backed militant group in Syria and Baghdadi said that his group will now be known as Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL or ISIS).

https://abc13.com/politics/us-military-targeted-isis-leader-al-baghdadi-in-raid-on-saturday/5650282/

Last edited:
Oh nice he fucking exploded to shit fuck em.

Oh nice he fucking exploded to shit fuck em.

Well, let's hope there's enough left of him in the rubble for a conclusive forensic analysis before conspiracy arises.

Reports seem to suggest he was driven into a tunnel, then proceeded to blow himself up with a suicide vest, along with 3 of his children..

Last edited:
Let's see if Trump tries to pretend he personally pulled the trigger like Obama shamelessly did with Bin Laden.

Traditional sea burial of a religion and culture which thrived in the desert incoming.

Let's see if Trump tries to pretend he personally pulled the trigger like Obama shamelessly did with Bin Laden.

Are you guys going to be mentioning Obama in 20 years also? Was he that great of a president?

Back