Switching to Morning Lifts

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by facedancer, Oct 21, 2010.

1. facedancer

facedancer Warning: ***hole

Lately I've just been getting home too late and after a 10-12hr work day, sometimes it's hard to stay motivated. As of this morning I decided to start my day early rather than end it late. When I was at ASU the weightlifting team met at 5:30am and I never felt like I was accomplishing as much as I did in the evenings but I'm going to give it another try.

Looking for tips from my fellow morning lifters.

2. BJJ in Chicago

BJJ in Chicago Livin' la vida bomba

Trying desperately to learn the berimbolo
    I get up at 4am to lift most days. It is the most miserable experience ever. and I despise it many days.

That being said, I am also eternally thankful for being given the opportunity to do even that.

Best of luck.

3. CRZA

CRZA Purple Belt

recently started training in the morning. Some tips that I found useful, wait 1-2 hours before you actually start to train after waking up. Get some good carbs in that period of time and do a good warmup.

4. facedancer

Luckily I don't have it that bad...630am. I'm trying to get in a shake and whatever meal I can stomach as soon as I roll out of bed. I'm worried about not having that full day of calories in me so I threw a scoop of ice cream in my shake this morning. I'm really just guessing at it though...

I read somewhere to save the carbs till after.

5. mmafreedom

mmafreedom Purple Belt

6. facedancer

Thx. It's not letting me open it at work but I'll check it out when I get home (early)tonight!

7. edco76

edco76 huh? Platinum Member

I always train in the mornings. I guess at advanced levels you may need to make some changes but it seems to suite me just fine. Some mornings I go at like 4:30-5. Those mornings I usually choke down a Cliff Bar and a cup of coffee. If I go at like 6 I will have a full breakfast.

Also last week a friend from work gave me scoop of "Jack3d" I actually felt great and had tons of energy. It gets blasted on here but it worked for me. After reading up tho it seems that the part of it that is beneficial is the caffeine and B Vitamins, So you could maybe just get some of that and be a lot cheaper.

8. oasfc

oasfc Orange Belt

during the summer i was up at 6:30 to lift before work. i now get up around 8ish to get lift before university. i would never switch to training in the evenings (mainly because of MT).

9. BoxingFan123

BoxingFan123 Purple Belt

I do all weightlifitng in the morning, cardio/wrestling at night

the worst part is rolling out of the bed when its cold, other than that I don't eat until after my workout, i get sluggish if i eat as soon as i wake up

10. Morganation

Morganation Brown Belt

I find that I usually have a shitty workout if I try to go after work.Mornings is where its at.

11. ghostwipe

ghostwipe Black Belt

I'm consistently about 20% weaker in the morning. Even after a decent warmup.

12. Vector_X

Vector_X Brown Belt

I've been doing 2 a days with wrestling in the morning 7am and jiujitsu 730pm-930 in the evenings and then on off 2 days i wake up at 7 hit the exercise bike and then lift in the evenings and sunday i rest. The wrestling in the mornings is easily the most difficult part its extremely high intensity and uses a lot of energy. The hardest part I've found is getting properly hydrated right off the bat.

13. big_kahuna

big_kahuna Problem?

I'm in the same boat.
    I'm not against working out in the morning but I just feel weak.
    It takes way too long for me to really wake up and feel like I can lift heavy. And since I start work between 8-9am, I would have to wake up super early.
    After work I actually feel the strongest.

Kudos to you folks who wake up at the crack of dawn and lift heavy-ass weights.

14. Scarymonster

Scarymonster Orange Belt

I do it. It's hard esp in my garage when it's cold like 45 degrees in there... its had to motivate. But I feel good through the day when I get my work in.

I heard once your back can be susceptible to injury more in the AM b/c your discs expand or something when you are laying down sleeping... but whatever. I do my DL' after a stretch & warmup but am okay. Maybe it's different if your pulling crazy weight but I am not.

15. Gary Peters

Gary Peters Purple Belt Professional Fighter

It seems like it varies for most people. I've been doing my strength workouts in the morning while fasted and it has been going great. Except for the whole having to wake up early part...

16. MrLane

MrLane White Belt

I prefer lifting in the morning. I've switched from a 6am to 7am which gives me a little extra sleep and time to eat something. Eating before hand is essential as is drinking, even if its 2 slices of toast, a glass of OJ and a pint of water.

The two downsides is that the highlight of the day is over before its really started and if you have a bad session it puts you in a terrible mood all day :(

17. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

I lift in the mornings on the weekend. Normally around 8 AM. That's the time I start my work day during the week, so I can't say that it's really early. I prefer to lift in the morning. The days stresses normally wear on me during the week, so I feel that I lift better in the morning.

18. dexbot

dexbot chest press = sexiness

I almost never eat before training in the morning, then again I try to keep it limited up to 1 hour. If I get hungry one or two bananas to the trick. I drink as much water as possible before and walk with the dog for ca. 15 minutes to wake up.
    But after training I eat like a madman (Pasta, eggs, bread etc. it's my first lunch so to say) and after 2 hours I am hungry again so I have to make sure to have something with me over the day.

19. pjmeunyc12

pjmeunyc12 Purple Belt

AM is the go to time for me. Its way too easy to be lazy and not go to the gym after a 12hr work day. Gets it in and outta the way. I wake up slam a whey shake, eat a banana, take a shit, and then head to the gym. It does affect PR lifts though, if I go for a PR its gonna be on a weekend after a healthy cheat meal ha.

20. JCninja

JCninja White Belt

I'm a morning guy. I have no motivation after a full day of work. I can lie to myself and say it's going to happen, but it won't. Being someone who has had some serious injuries. (Not from lifting but in general.) I have to be a little more "aware" to avoid injury. Make sure to give yourself enough time to have a solid warm up. Whenever I thought I could skip/cheat on the warm-up, I've regretted it.