Switching boxing gym/trainers...your thoughts?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Current trainer I met a year ago is not working out. He was great in the beginning but now not so much. He charges tons for private lesson. These are fine by me but what pissed me off was two cancellation. Two of them was a night before the morning session. First excuse was that he was simply tired and wanted to take Monday off which morning was our session. This time he cancelled and did not bother to give any reason as to why he cancelled. I do not care to ask for his reason.

Its upsetting because I am going out of my way from work/home to come to his gym despite two boxing gyms being much closer. Just to clarify, if someone says " I am cancelling session because I am tired" is that a fair reason or am I just being a snowflake about this?

Overall, he is a good trainer and gyms close by are run by average trainers. In the past I had a great trainer that left the business.

Current trainer I met a year ago is not working out. He was great in the beginning but now not so much. He charges tons for private lesson. These are fine by me but what pissed me off was two cancellation. Two of them was a night before the morning session. First excuse was that he was simply tired and wanted to take Monday off which morning was our session. This time he cancelled and did not bother to give any reason as to why he cancelled. I do not care to ask for his reason.

Its upsetting because I am going out of my way from work/home to come to his gym despite two boxing gyms being much closer. Just to clarify, if someone says " I am cancelling session because I am tired" is that a fair reason or am I just being a snowflake about this?

Overall, he is a good trainer and gyms close by are run by average trainers. In the past I had a great trainer that left the business.
if you can find better, do it! My own opinion, and it's not universal, is you are your own best trainer.

if you can find better, do it! My own opinion, and it's not universal, is you are your own best trainer.

Thanks and I agree. Just curious to know if it's considered distasteful to gym switch or try different gyms?

Like one day you stop showing up and the trainer sees that your fighting his guys at rival gym or something.

Should I let the trainer know that I maybe leaving? Or just leave since I am under no obligation to give reason.

Thanks and I agree. Just curious to know if it's considered distasteful to gym switch or try different gyms?

Like one day you stop showing up and the trainer sees that your fighting his guys at rival gym or something.

Should I let the trainer know?
Trainers are weird, they are possessive and don't react to kindly to being left. Whether you talk to him and tell him or just leave it'll probably make little difference. Whether it's "wrong" or not just depends on the situation, it doesn't sound like it would be from what you've said. Personally, i hated the flakiness, I had no patience for it and I never liked feeling like the only purpose that a trainer/teacher had was to have his own ego bolstered by feeling he was controlling someone.

So, I'd say it's distasteful in some cases, like when a guy who developed you gets left when you can make a lot of money, kinda like Tyson leaving his original crew. But for every case like that, there are the Joe Martin's, a guy who was strictly an amateur trainer who everyone knew that Cassius Clay would have to replace.

Like I say, all depends. It gets awkward I know. And if you were in my shoes a few years ago, I had a guy I wanted to work with but the gym owner wouldn't have allowed that and would sabotage anyone who he thought was going against him.

Hopefully, you have better options than I did. I never had much and I just burned out on dealing with gyms and egos and people who really are just excess distractions, all for nothing.

i suppose everyone’s different, but my personal experience has been positive training at different gyms. All of my coaches have taught me something new, even the shit ones, so I personally can see the benefit. Years ago I trained some kickboxing at an MMA gym, and the kickboxing coach was awful, but he did teach me how to perfect (or as much as possible) spinning kicks. It was a technique that I badly struggled with prior to training with him. Now it’s fckin lethal (if I can set it up and land it). I’ve had similar with boxing as well. The worst boxing coach I’ve trained under did improve my jab, but fck all else

However some people may prefer and train better with some continuity. I suppose it’s swings and roundabouts

i suppose everyone’s different, but my personal experience has been positive training at different gyms. All of my coaches have taught me something new, even the shit ones, so I personally can see the benefit. Years ago I trained some kickboxing at an MMA gym, and the kickboxing coach was awful, but he did teach me how to perfect (or as much as possible) spinning kicks. It was a technique that I badly struggled with prior to training with him. Now it’s fckin lethal (if I can set it up and land it). I’ve had similar with boxing as well. The worst boxing coach I’ve trained under did improve my jab, but fck all else

However some people may prefer and train better with some continuity. I suppose it’s swings and roundabouts

True about awful trainers. I had a shit trainer who did teach how to anchor and step forward with the heel.

Current trainer is good but recent Inconsistency is bothering me. I don't want to leave since I like to stay in one gym.

That and gym jumping won't work if someone wants to fight. In my town you have to be a member of a club.

I once started training at another boxing gym just to supplement it because there were no adults at my gym to spar with. But there were seniors at this other gym. I didn't tell my trainer about it but he found out and he was really pissy with me after even though I still competed for the club. I felt like I went about it the wrong way and I should have mentioned that I wanted to go to this other gym just so I could spar. If he got upset at that then that's his problem but at least I'd have been above board with everything.

Trainers are weird, they are possessive and don't react to kindly to being left. Whether you talk to him and tell him or just leave it'll probably make little difference. Whether it's "wrong" or not just depends on the situation, it doesn't sound like it would be from what you've said. Personally, i hated the flakiness, I had no patience for it and I never liked feeling like the only purpose that a trainer/teacher had was to have his own ego bolstered by feeling he was controlling someone.

So, I'd say it's distasteful in some cases, like when a guy who developed you gets left when you can make a lot of money, kinda like Tyson leaving his original crew. But for every case like that, there are the Joe Martin's, a guy who was strictly an amateur trainer who everyone knew that Cassius Clay would have to replace.

Like I say, all depends. It gets awkward I know. And if you were in my shoes a few years ago, I had a guy I wanted to work with but the gym owner wouldn't have allowed that and would sabotage anyone who he thought was going against him.

Hopefully, you have better options than I did. I never had much and I just burned out on dealing with gyms and egos and people who really are just excess distractions, all for nothing.

I once started training at another boxing gym just to supplement it because there were no adults at my gym to spar with. But there were seniors at this other gym. I didn't tell my trainer about it but he found out and he was really pissy with me after even though I still competed for the club. I felt like I went about it the wrong way and I should have mentioned that I wanted to go to this other gym just so I could spar. If he got upset at that then that's his problem but at least I'd have been above board with everything.

This is the problem with these boxing trainers. They demand loyalty but not willing to give. They play favoritism and they will ignore you or not work with you if you are not worth their time.

Yet they also will not let you go out and expand your moves. It's like paying someone to limit your potential.

I plan on letting him know that the quality has decreased. I am not gonna go Karen on them but I will let them know that they are here to provide a service and quality has gone to shit.

If they get mad it's not my problem. It's my money and if they do not want it then they can fuck off!

If you're not intending on competing, who cares. Do whatever you want. His opinion doesn't matter.
If you intend on competing, communicate with him that you're going elsewhere but enjoyed the times he trained you. Best not to burn your bridges if you're taking it further.

Boxing trainer here- you gotta vote with your money. If you keep coming to see him and handing him cash, he’s going to keep flaking.

This is the problem with these boxing trainers. They demand loyalty but not willing to give. They play favoritism and they will ignore you or not work with you if you are not worth their time.

Yet they also will not let you go out and expand your moves. It's like paying someone to limit your potential.

I plan on letting him know that the quality has decreased. I am not gonna go Karen on them but I will let them know that they are here to provide a service and quality has gone to shit.

If they get mad it's not my problem. It's my money and if they do not want it then they can fuck off!
Do what you want but I think that's a smart decision based on what you described.

If you're not intending on competing, who cares. Do whatever you want. His opinion doesn't matter.
If you intend on competing, communicate with him that you're going elsewhere but enjoyed the times he trained you. Best not to burn your bridges if you're taking it further.
some trainers will not have it any other way. It's a bit like the military, they'll treat you like a traitor.

It's not that hard of a job unless you just don't know what you're doing, it's nowhere near being a real 8 hour a day job and most trainers can't even be bothered to put even the little time they should into the sport.

some trainers will not have it any other way. It's a bit like the military, they'll treat you like a traitor.

It's not that hard of a job unless you just don't know what you're doing, it's nowhere near being a real 8 hour a day job and most trainers can't even be bothered to put even the little time they should into the sport.
Certainly. Trainers can be divas for sure

Loyalty in the fight game will get you nowhere.
95% of people are sharks and you are their meal.
Do whatever you please when it comes to switching trainers and gyms.

If it's not working out simply depart ways. Thank him for helping you and move to somewhere else, which is hopefully better. I've sparred at many gyms and some are better than others but you won't know until you make the leap.

One thing I typically notice with a good trainer/coach is their fighters are good people as well.

Sounds like you know the answer. You know what your boundaries are and it's your time and money and effort you put forth. If things aren't going to Help. Be nice and respectful and do your thing.

I would say to follow your gut. I agree with some other posters who said not to burn bridges. Even if he comes at you with hostility over this decision, best to keep cool and keep your options open for the future. Sometimes 'better the devil you know than the devil you don't.'

I would say to follow your gut. I agree with some other posters who said not to burn bridges. Even if he comes at you with hostility over this decision, best to keep cool and keep your options open for the future. Sometimes 'better the devil you know than the devil you don't.'

After this thread I made up my mind. I have decided to start my own club and fight for myself. My trainer will be my original mentor who no longer is in the boxing local scene. Hence I was looking for a gym trainer who is registered.

I Say fuck it, it's less expensive and my true mentor was a former world champ and fought mayweather and Hatton. He left the local scene beca use of the toxicity. I can see why and I will start my own place.

After this thread I made up my mind. I have decided to start my own club and fight for myself. My trainer will be my original mentor who no longer is in the boxing local scene. Hence I was looking for a gym trainer who is registered.

I Say fuck it, it's less expensive and my true mentor was a former world champ and fought mayweather and Hatton. He left the local scene beca use of the toxicity. I can see why and I will start my own place.

good luck mate. Sounds like a good decision

Back