Switched base side control escapes

Smato_rules

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Ive been having trouble escaping from side mount when the guy on top switches their base, where they almost take a kesa gatame position, but lower towards my hips. Does anyone have any go to’s for that?

I tend to prefer escapes where I come to my knees off the underhook or grab a leg, pull deep half and come up to the single, but I get stuffed when they switch.

The one video I have found has the guy on bottom bumping the guy on top towards the head then pushing them towards the feet when they base, but it’s a real bitch to pull off vs bigger guys.

Consider circling to north south and rolling them.

Last edited:

That’s interesting I’ll give that a shot thank you.

Also from that video, is it common to use a Peterson roll to get out from bottom side? I know Eduardo Telles does basically that I think, but don’t hear of it anywhere else

i wish id see guys use firemans in mma i find it could work great in some situations like a guy on fence pushng back into you trying to get his back off fence

i never did firemans cause was told/felt for bjj it was way to dangerous with crucifix ect but if your good nd have great sub defense its great

Back