Swimming same effect as running

swimming is more of a upperbody workout, as running is more of a lower body workout. I wouldn't limit myself and just pick one. Do both, or better yet swim, get outa the pool run, and then get back in and swim again. That will work the living hell outa ya.

I swim 30-45 daily 5X a week.

I do what I call swim sprints.

1 lap freestyle sprinting / swimming as fast as possible.

1 lap moderate breaststroke

REPEAT for 30 minutes.

I have been doing this for the past 7 months 5X a week on top of my BJJ training and it has helped my cardio dramatically and also helped lean muscle mass.

BTW - I used to hate swimming, but am now completely addicted.

Doing the butterfly with flippers on is the biggest rush. Also very intensive.

yeah, i always wonder why people run on sidewalks/roads, especially around nice parks with a dirt trail or grass.

I dont understand? I run because it keeps me in somewhat good shape. And nice parks, are well.. nice.

The problem with swimming is that unless you are good enough at it to do it efficiently then its not going to be good for your cardio. I have friends that can run miles but they can hardly swim a few laps and its not because they dont have good cardio its because they are not good swimmers. Its all relative.

So true, I'd recommend a few lessons from an instructor before taking up swimming, there's alot of technique, breathing, body alignment etc, if these are not good, you'll gas quick, like I have done. I'm good at running so I do it, and it's also 100 times more convienant, put trainers on, open door>run :)

My running route is perfect, right on my door, undisturbed countryside, it's so quiet I just run in the middle of the road, the only thing I see is sheep, cows and buzzards....and a few horseflies!

I don't understand, swimming with 'poor technique' isn't helpful?

I don't know about anybody else, but when I swim I feel it no matter what I do. So if I'm feeling the burn, how is it not helpful?

As for a leg workout, sometimes I just cross my hands over my back and kick with my legs. No arm movement.

swimming is more of a upperbody workout, as running is more of a lower body workout. I wouldn't limit myself and just pick one. Do both, or better yet swim, get outa the pool run, and then get back in and swim again. That will work the living hell outa ya.

Swimming works your WHOLE body or at the very least most of it. It is not at all limited to the upper body. You could argue running takes arm strength so that's up in the air.

Wow that's not a broad and slightly retarded statement. Running is not bad for your knees if done correctly and sensibly.

Biking is bad for your knees? Are you kidding me? Apart from swimming cycling is one of the number one things recommended to people rehabilitating their knees who cannot run. It's bad for your knees? How? It's no impact, and unless you ride you bike like a clown on a minature tricycle, it's not going to be damaging for your knees.

Not taking anything away from swimming however, but I did want to point out the inaccuracies in this post.

Running is bad for knees point blank, there is NO way around it. Every stride you take puts enormous strain on your knees, unless your on the moon then it would hardly affect you. I am a track and field sprinter so I know proper technique won't stop the degenerative affect on the knees due to running, albeit your leg bones do get stronger and the muscles get bigger. Lol I've even seen a pretty cool thing on the discovery channel that relates to stress on joints/muscles, and human body stuff. Cycling can negatively affect the knees as well though not to the extent of running I believe. You need to have PERFECT form to bike without or with very little affects on your knees (what I've read). Almost everything you need to do in everyday life or an athlete's life places stress on your knees, walking I guess place regular stress on your knees (though it doesn't normally affect you) and running increases it.

swimming of course is less on the joints and works EVERY muscle in your body almost...try surfing. that shit will fuck you up

and for 2 to 3 hours:icon_chee

I think smimming can't replace running. I'd rather see one complementing the other.
Running works alot on your legs but doesn't do much to develop your upper body. Smimming is exactly the opposite. Think of a chicken. The breast is usually white while the leg is darker and tougher. That's because chickens walk around on their legs all day and so develop denser muscles with lots more mythocondria there. On the other hand because they hardly ever use their wings the breast muscles are rather weak. So I think you need both swimming and for good full body endurance.
Now I dunno how good your technique is but I don't see why you shouldn't pick it up rather quickly. I can swim about 50-60 lanes in 40 mins alternating freestyle and breast stroke. Can't do other styles and ain't that fast but I'm not a swimmer, I just do it for conditioning.
1 thing I do technique wise and I don't see alot of other people doing is to breathe every 3 strokes while doing freestyle. I find it less taxing than doing it every 4 as I was taught and I swim faster than doing it every 2. Plus you alternate breathing side every time so you won't end up all bent towards your right or something.

Swimming works your WHOLE body or at the very least most of it. It is not at all limited to the upper body. You could argue running takes arm strength so that's up in the air.
QUOTE]
Hence the word MORE in my sentence. Swimming is MORE of an upperbody workout then leg workout. From your core up you will definitly get a workout from swimming.

Does anyone know if swimming will build up your cardio and if it has the same effect as running? Can you use swimming as a substitute? Just wanted to know since i wanted to drop weight for muay thai.

In the past, when I've substituted swimming for running, I've actually gained some muscle weight. Running, in my case, has always been more effective in cutting weight than swimming. I once read that swimming is not conducive for weight loss because it does not enable your body's core temperature to rise due to the cooling effect of the water and thus you won't burn fat. Everyone is different, though, so I guess, as always, some individual trial and error is the rule of the day.

Unless your focus is to be a better runner or swimmer it doesn't matter, if you're training for say MMA or MT as long as your conditioning is working your heart in the range you want then it's working. Everything else is just fine tuning, need more leg endurance try running, do your shoulders tire out? try swimming etc.

Droping weigth is mostly diet dependent

Back