Sweetener Question

dza76wutang

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I bought 8lbs of Chocolate Protein from TP.com and had it sweetened with Splenda. The chocolate aspect of the flavor is fine, however, it is EXTREMELY sweet. Is that because I used Splenda or would all the other sweetener options result in that taste because it's actually the free chocolate flavor that does it? Is the premium Dutch worth the .75/lb? If it's the Splenda, is there a less potent sweetener (like Aspartame)? Does anyone know if TP would customize it to the point of using like 50% of the normal sweetener amount?

What about buying some unflavoured and cutting it with the choco one.

I think it's more of an issue of the amount of sweetener and less about the type of sweetener. Maybe you can request TP to put in a little less next time.

I personally doubt that they'll customize for you but who knows?...

My honest answer is (and no offence :icon_chee) just deal with it and take it as it comes.

TP.com said they'll honor a request to reduce the amount of sweetener in the future, wow that's sick customer service!!

did you get it with or without premium flavoring? the premium flavoring comes with a certain amount of sweetner in it, the regular flavoring "non premium" comes with options in terms of what, if any, sweetner you can put into it.

did you get it with or without premium flavoring? the premium flavoring comes with a certain amount of sweetner in it, the regular flavoring "non premium" comes with options in terms of what, if any, sweetner you can put into it.

Ok here's the full story:
I was taking BSN-Syntha-6 Dutch Chocolate and stopped when I saw the Consumer Reports heavy metal thing. I talked to TP.com and they showed me certification that their stuff was safe. I ordered the plain "chocolate" flavor (the free one) and had it sweetened with Splenda, as it tastes less fake than Aspartame and I want to wait until more research is done with Stevia. The protein itself is good stuff, the "chocolateyness" is good as well, however, I was of the opinion that either the amount of Splenda they used was too much or that Splenda was just too sweet for me in this product (I vaguely recall something like 1tsp splenda = 2tsp sugar, possibly misremembering).

I made THIS thread to gain insight into the sweeteners, as my gut reaction was to blame Splenda, not the quantity. However, after talking to Carl at TP.com he said that I can request reduced sweetener amount, so I'm going to experiment with my next order and see what % of the default is optimal for me (start at 80% and adjust till I reach optimization). I also may try the premium "Dutch Chocolate" flavor just to see if that does it for me.

Seriously though, I think the take away message from this is that TP.com has excellent customer service.

This would be an issue likely of your own taste buds, though. Too much splenda for most people results in bitterness, not unbearable sweetness. Statistically speaking, ha. That was a mathematician joke.

But I agree that the Company agreeing to reduce it is excellent customer service.

In the past couple years I've come across people with varying tastes, it's strange. One client says plain cheerios are very sweet to him, for a little actual sugar as they use, it still bugs him. He's very particular to things sweetened via certain ingredients.

This would be an issue likely of your own taste buds, though. Too much splenda for most people results in bitterness, not unbearable sweetness. Statistically speaking, ha. That was a mathematician joke.

But I agree that the Company agreeing to reduce it is excellent customer service.

In the past couple years I've come across people with varying tastes, it's strange. One client says plain cheerios are very sweet to him, for a little actual sugar as they use, it still bugs him. He's very particular to things sweetened via certain ingredients.

Good one!

I have low tolerance for sweet flavors. I don't know why but I'm one of the few people I know to put stuff down and go "ick it's too sweet".

Back