Sweet Judo Throw from a Hockey Game

He could have had a sweet uchi mata or even harai goshi, but it looks as though he reconsidered because of the skates. Beautiful professional courtesy and sportsmanship (given that fighting in hockey is pretty much mandatory).

It's not technically perfect

Fucking skates, bro. Skates, ice, pads, gloves, yadda yadda.

Technically perfect...

JdskrNi.jpg

Haha. I'm not saying that it should have been technically perfect, guys. The only reason I said that is because I wasn't sure what to call the throw because to me, it looked more like a blend of a couple different ones than a specific throw that I'm familiar with. Trust me, I think it's pretty damn cool, especially with skates on.

Now I gotta fire up NHL 14 and see if Lupul can do it in the game.

For some reason I wanna say tai otoshi.
I think you're right. It's like a drop version of the old style tai-otoshi when they didn't used to put the leg out.

Wasn't there a thread where rousey did this same throw?

Last edited:
Me throwing drop Seoi Otoshi!? Frankly, I'm offended.

drop seoi otoshi? is there such a thing? seoi otoshi is a drop on its own. but yeah its a drop seoi nage with skates on making it look like a seoi otoshi. imo. i like it, he definity went for it.

Seoi Nage with a Morote lapel grip. I know that makes it kind of hard to resolve with the morote part (moro te = 2 handed) but he's definitely pulling over the shoulder which makes it not Tai Otoshi or Seoi Otoshi.

That nerdness aside, very cool, definitely knew what he was doing.

I think you're right. It's like a drop version of the old style tai-otoshi when they didn't used to put the leg out.

You can see him just catch the leg a bit in the video(starts at 1:08)
[YT]ldhmAtas2Y4#t=21[/YT]

drop seoi otoshi? is there such a thing? seoi otoshi is a drop on its own. but yeah its a drop seoi nage with skates on making it look like a seoi otoshi. imo. i like it, he definity went for it.

Classical Seoi Otoshi does not involve tori dropping to their knees to execute the throw (although tori lowers his body and steps back), so the variation of Seoi Otoshi where tori drops to their knees is commonly termed "Drop Seoi Otoshi", even if the translated term sounds a little absurd (Drop Back-Carry Drop). I've heard some Judoka call it "Ryo-Hiza-Seoi-Otoshi", but that's not an officially recognized name by the Kodokan.

Back