Crime 'Swatter' sentenced to 20 years

SamSchmidt

I crossed time for you belt
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-man-sentenced-to-20-years-for-fatal-swatting-of-kansas-man

A California man was sentenced to 20 years in prison Friday after making fake emergency calls to authorities across the country which led to the fatal shooting of a Kansas man by police.

Tyler R. Barriss, 26, admitted last November to calling Wichita police from Los Angeles in late 2017 to falsely report a shooting and kidnapping at the Kansas home where 28-year-old Andrew Finch lived. He pleaded guilty to a total of 51 federal charges related to fake calls and threats.

Authorities said Finch was not involved in the dispute nor playing the “Call of Duty: WWII” video game when he answered the door. Police said an Ohio gamer recruited Barriss to “swat” – or report a false emergency call to get authorities to descend on an address.

However, the address they used was old.

The intended target in Wichita, Shane Gaskill, 20, and the man who allegedly recruited Barriss, Casey Viner, 19, of North College Hill, Ohio, are charged as co-conspirators.

Authorities say Viner provided Barriss with an address for Gaskill that Gaskill had previously given to Viner. Authorities also say that when Gaskill noticed Barriss was following him on Twitter, he gave Barriss that old address and taunted him to "try something."

Viner and Gaskill pleaded not guilty to charges including conspiracy to obstruct justice, wire fraud and other counts. Viner has notified the court he intends to change that plea at a hearing scheduled for Wednesday. Gaskill's trial has been delayed to April 23 amid plea talks with federal prosecutors.

Finch's family has sued the city of Wichita and the unidentified officers involved. Police have said the officer who shot Finch thought he was reaching for a gun because he moved a hand toward his waistband. Prosecutors declined to charge the officer.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation recognized swatting as an emerging threat as early as 2008, noting it had become commonplace among gamers.

Good. Swatting is full retard. Hopefully this sends a message for idiot gamers who do this

Perturbed by the lack of focus on how shitty this SWAT team was and how poorly many operate.
A really good documentary called Peace Office featuring a former Sheriff whose own relative was killed by a trigger-happy military swat team he formed years earlier.

Seems like an appropriate long sentence for a prankster considering this is basically an extreme manslaughter. (e.g. a death caused by a negligent/malicious act that didn't directly kill someone intentionally)

Good but the fact not one police officer will stand infront of a jury over this is ridiculous.

The shooter deserves a harsher sentence than the one who made a prank call.

I have never been SWAT'd. But I was once Domino'd. Pretty fucking scary.

Several people have been killed by this “prank.” So any of these gamer nerds who get caught using this “prank” should be charged with crimes that amount to similar jail time as attempted murder.

Barriss has admitted to his role in the Kansas man’s death, as well as to dozens of other non-fatal “swatting” attacks. These dangerous hoaxes involve making false claims to emergency responders about phony hostage situations or bomb threats, with the intention of prompting a heavily-armed police response to the location of the claimed incident. [Source]

How did he do this 'dozens' of times without getting caught, and how was there not a single police officer who faced trial for killing an unarmed man in their own house?

Bring the hammer down. This is a very dangerous and stupid act, and it must be nipped in the bud.

Perturbed by the lack of focus on how shitty this SWAT team was and how poorly many operate.
A really good documentary called Peace Office featuring a former Sheriff whose own relative was killed by a trigger-happy military swat team he formed years earlier.

Seems like an appropriate long sentence for a prankster considering this is basically an extreme manslaughter. (e.g. a death caused by a negligent/malicious act that didn't directly kill someone intentionally)

Yeah they really want to shoot somebody sometimes.

Good but the fact not one police officer will stand infront of a jury over this is ridiculous.

LOL at me agreeing with you.

The shooter deserves a harsher sentence than the one who made a prank call.

How did he do this 'dozens' of times without getting caught, and how was there not a single police officer who faced trial for killing an unarmed man in their own house?

Yeah they really want to shoot somebody sometimes.

I was like you guys, wondering why there was no focus whatsoever on the cop that shot an unarmed man outside his house.

I found this long and detailed article, explaining the entire situation.

https://amp.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article208738719.html?__twitter_impression=true

In short, this was an absolute tragic situation, but with what the cops knew before the shot was fired, it was a justified shooting.

Yeah, we all wish cops weren't so trigger happy, based on the few situations in which mistakes were made. However we caren't cops, and have no idea what it is like to have our lives on the line, having to make split-second decisions in the amount of time it can take for a suspect could whip out a gun and fire a round.

Once again, this is a tragedy for everyone involved.

One thing is for sure - the family of the victim is going to be pah-pah-pah-pah-PAID in the civil case against the city as they fucking should be.

In short, this was an absolute tragic situation, but with what the cops knew before the shot was fired, it was a justified shooting.

I'm glad the standard in my country is not this low.

I was like you guys, wondering why there was no focus whatsoever on the cop that shot an unarmed man outside his house.

https://amp.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article208738719.html?__twitter_impression=true

Yeah, we all wish cops weren't so trigger happy, based on the few situations in which mistakes were made. However we caren't cops, and have no idea what it is like to have our lives on the line, having to make split-second decisions in the amount of time it can take for a suspect could whip out a gun and fire a round.

One thing is for sure - the family of the victim is going to be pah-pah-pah-pah-PAID in the civil case against the city as they fucking should be.
Doesn't sound like you're even close toi "with us". That video and article show cops being idiotic and shooting someone who, even if the circumstances were true from the call, shouldn't have just shot the first person who came to the door of a house. They saw no weapon so there's no way you even know if they're one of the hostages. It's pathetic and EVEN IF HE HAD A GUN HE NEVER POINTED ANYTHING AT THEM OR ATTEMPTED TO FIRE ON POLICE, which is the ONLY time a police officer should be firing on a random citizen (or they're aiming aiming weapons at other citizens, which also wasn't happening).

Last edited:

How do you know I'm not a LEO ? And the old I thought he was reaching for an invisible gun have been done to death.

The officers were responding to a potential hostage situation they had no idea who the hostage taker was but they decide to shoot the first person who walked out the door ?
I imagine if the hostage taker was releasing a child they would have feared for their lives and blown the kid away too hey.

Doesn't sound like you're even close toi "with us". That video and article show cops being idiotic and shooting someone who, even if the circumstances were true from the call, shouldn't have just shot the first person who came to the door of a house. They saw no weapon so there's no way you even know if they're one of the hostages. It's pathetic and EVEN IF HE HAD A GUN HE NEVER POINTED ANYTHING AT THEM OR ATTEMPTED TO FIRE ON POLICE, which is the ONLY time a police officer should be firing on a random citizen (or aiming aiming weapons at other citizens).

Why are you shouting ?

Back