Social "Suspicious Minds": Trump accused of racism for honoring Elvis

President Trump accused of racism as he honors Elvis among other American legends

Not everyone believes Elvis is the king.

President Trump will award the Presidential Medal of Freedom to seven Americans on Friday, including the late rock star Elvis Presley, though even that gesture is coming under fire from liberals.

Trump is honoring Presley, baseball legend Babe Ruth, former Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, philanthropist Miriam Adelson, Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch, jurist Alan Page, and Hall-of-Fame quarterback Roger Staubach.

Still, some have accused Trump of racism for honoring Presley, long known as the "King of Rock and Roll."

The Washington Post’s pop culture critic Chris Richards called Trump’s move “a little nod to the good old days, back when black visionaries could invent rock-and-roll, but only a white man could become the king.”

“Yes, Trump is sending a message here,” Richards wrote.

That claim has been scoffed at online, with the Weekly Standard publishing a rebuttal titled, “Elvis Wasn’t Racist. Neither Is Giving Him the Presidential Medal of Freedom.”

“If you’re invested in making Elvis an avatar for racial resentments more than 40 years after his death, you’re, perhaps unwittingly, making the problems of contemporary divisions worse,” columnist Mark Hemingway wrote. “Music is one of a precious few cultural forces still holding us together.”

>>> TDS strikes again, I see. <{cruzshake}>

This is the sad world we live in, folks.
This is it.

Democrats and all Liberals....

They ain't nothing but a hound dog
crying all the time

President Trump accused of racism as he honors Elvis among other American legends

Not everyone believes Elvis is the king.

President Trump will award the Presidential Medal of Freedom to seven Americans on Friday, including the late rock star Elvis Presley, though even that gesture is coming under fire from liberals.

Trump is honoring Presley, baseball legend Babe Ruth, former Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, philanthropist Miriam Adelson, Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch, jurist Alan Page, and Hall-of-Fame quarterback Roger Staubach.

Still, some have accused Trump of racism for honoring Presley, long known as the "King of Rock and Roll."

The Washington Post’s pop culture critic Chris Richards called Trump’s move “a little nod to the good old days, back when black visionaries could invent rock-and-roll, but only a white man could become the king.”

“Yes, Trump is sending a message here,” Richards wrote.

That claim has been scoffed at online, with the Weekly Standard publishing a rebuttal titled, “Elvis Wasn’t Racist. Neither Is Giving Him the Presidential Medal of Freedom.”

“If you’re invested in making Elvis an avatar for racial resentments more than 40 years after his death, you’re, perhaps unwittingly, making the problems of contemporary divisions worse,” columnist Mark Hemingway wrote. “Music is one of a precious few cultural forces still holding us together.”

>>> TDS strikes again, I see. <{cruzshake}>

This is the sad world we live in, folks.
The Libs must be upset that he didn't give that great musician Calypso Louie Farrakhan a medal.

I'm not saying the guy couldn't sing. What I'm saying is that his voice isn't what put him over the top and made him a living legend. It was his look and his manner. That's why his movies (full of shitty, forgettable songs) were such massive hits.

Elvis was a cult of personality to a much greater degree than he was a traditional rock'n'roll star. The dude, even today, is a virtual religious figure to millions. It's mind boggling.

A singer like Sinatra, on the other hand... His popularity was virtually all in the voice.

Oh good grief. That’s exactly wrong on Sinatra. He was a great singer very early in his career but suffered a major vocal crisis early on from which he never recovered. The majority of what we all know of Sinatra is that post-crisis period where he just “woofs” his way through everything. That Sinatra was entirely personality - I.e. the aspirational Italian-American guy who’s maybe/probably connected to the mob.

Anyway, since you went there, here’s old-fat-drunk-Elvis covering Franks signature tune better than he ever could. Sorry if I’m slaying anyone’s sacred cow but true is true.

Screw you guys, I’m going home....

The whole "so and so" invented rock and roll is silly and pointless. Hell, the first person to even use the term "rock and roll" was Alan Freed, definitely not black. Just like with the who invented heavy metal, it isn't as simple as that. It was a process developed over time and different regions, with many different influences.
If you listen to the first Sabbath album (which erroneously gets credited as the first heavy metal album), there is more jazz influence than Devils Triad.
And then you have, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, JImi Hendrix, Cream, Steppenwolf, ELP, and on and on, that were just as much a contributing factor to what we now call heavy metal. What about Judas Priest? They could be the ones that truly created the genre, if you really think about it.
In short, it's more complex than sos and sos invented x.

Priest do really sound the first to employ the metall harmonies,triads and stuff that we attribute to what is Metal today.

Oh and Rob Halford fucking a Man in the ass really sounds Satanic in which Satan has been associated with the movement ass well.

Some early merely sabath twerks sound like a fusion of what would later be punk.

Now I am curious who pioneered crunchy distorted palm muted riffs

Full retard. A lot of the black entertainers back then loved Elvis and the doors he helped open for them playing his rockabilly mix of black southern and white southern music, not to mention no one ethnicity or "race" invented rock and roll. All those early rock and roll guys were pals as well. Buddy Holly played at the damn Apollo and Little Richard invited Elvis to play with him before either were big.
If you want to get technical The Maddox Brothers and Rose were playing proto-rockabilly in the late 30's long before the early 50's dates that most people use for the creation of rock and roll.
Listen to Elvis' early rockabilly stuff like Mystery Train and some Maddox Brothers and Rose and you can hear the similarities as well.

Another case of overly-sensitive, race-obsessed SJWs whining about a non-issue.

Agre I should listen to Mr.Berry more, but since I am a guitarist to my opinion is biased.
Yeah, Chuck was the start of rock and roll guitar and still highly influential to this day. Wrote all his own songs, great songwriter and lyricist. Elvis was the far superior vocalist, though. Even if he was mostly performing other people's material, a lot of it was great material.

Anyway, since you went there, here’s old-fat-drunk-Elvis covering Franks signature tune better than he ever could. Sorry if I’m slaying anyone’s sacred cow but true is true.

I would not say he did it better than Sinatra, just very different. But I do have to say that is a beautiful version of that song.

Iplg4mR.gif

The guitar was invented by a white man, so fuck off with the "cultural appropriation" garbage.

Rock n roll came from blues, which came from gospel, which came from slave songs, which came from hymns.

White people wrote the hymns.

The whole 'black people made all the music' argument is just people that don't know their history.

Last edited:
IF Chuck D thinks Elvis is a racist, that is good enough for me.

While I personally don't think there is anything wrong (or racist) for giving Elvis some sort of posthumous Freedom (???) award, the author is correct about him becoming famous off black peoples music.

Perhaps Donald should have also given an award to this guy too, as a gesture of good will...

It wasn't black people's music. Things like music evolved organically, over time.

I know I know, cowboys are Mexican/native American or something, rock and roll is black people, the moon landing was hidden figure black math whizzes doing all the hard work.. What am I missing from the leftist history/playbook?

Rock n roll came from blues, which came from gospel, which came from slave songs, which came from hymns.

White people wrote the hymns.

The whole 'black people made all the music' argument is just people that dom't know their history.
It also has some roots in C/W, traditional folk music, swing, etc.
As stated above, it was an organic occurrence over time.

Walk Hard borrowed a tremendous amount of its plotline from the beginning of Elvis rise to stardom.

Trump honoring a man that went to Nam tho... Thats hilarious to me.
Elvis went to Korea.

Back