Suspended Loan Payments

All I have left for school loans are private :(

All I have left for school loans are private :(
You can apply to have them move so over
72 business days
So you’d have probably from July to October in the clear

Same situation for me and the missus, Salary wise we are part of the 10 % income bracket. That dies not mean shit if cheapest houses cost you at least 650k in Euros and probably 70k on top for renovating that piece of shit.
The housing Market is horrendous, especially in Germany considering a majority of the population does not own any real estate effectively leading to the average German owning less wealth than e.g. the average Greek, Italien etc.
Interesting. My cousins and aunt own there homes outright in Hungary. Granted that's in Szeged. In Budapest things are quite different as western Euros are buying realestate both for as investments and residences. But living mortgage free and owning your home is not out of the norm there.

The situation here in Calgary has changed drastically the last two years. Average house prices were in the mid 400s for a while but right now you can get into a single family home in the mid 200s.

Things are about to get really interesting.

I’m not sure if that mental health counselor link you found there included interns or what, but this says 92k average for a psychologist with a masters degree. That aligns with our friends in the private field who make in the 80ks. (We’re late 20s, so lesser on the experience than an average one)

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/benchmark/psychologist-salary/il

school counselor with masters in 50s sounds right

Perhaps you're unaware, but a psychologist and counselor are not the same thing. You said your wife would make way more as a private practice counselor, but you just cited salary data on psychologists to make your point. Is your wife a school counselor or psychologist? Counselors make quite a bit more.

Accordording to Salary.com the average private practice counselor in Illinois makes $61,400, far less than the $92,000 figure you cited.
https://www.salary.com/research/salary/posting/private-practice-counselor-salary

For comparison, according to Glassdoor the average salary for a school psychologist in Illinois is $73,460.
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/illinois-school-psychologist-salary-SRCH_IL.0,8_IS302_KO9,28.htm

So assuming your wife is a counselor (not a psychologist) and we should make an apples to oranges comparison between the work she chose and private psychologists, your wife chose a field where she will make approximately $40,000 less. But does your wife get a pension? (I already asked but you didn't answer). Does she work for a public school? Because Illinois public school teachers get 55% of their final salary for life if they worked there for 25 years. If she stays there for that time her compensation is more like $25,000 less than a private psychologist (the latter whom typically don't get pensions). But then take into consideration that as a school employee I'm sure your wife gets the summer off. So she gets compensated about 3/4 for 3/4 of the work.

Pretty much any work for a nonprofit or local, state, or federal government work. There are tons of doctors making loads of money who are making payments toward PSLF. One of my ex coworkers just got hers forgiven a few months ago.

Thanks. That's bullshit, considering with the exception of doctors, government workers of all education levels are better compensated than private sector.

Thanks. That's bullshit, considering with the exception of doctors, government workers of all education levels are better compensated than private sector.

Many hospitals are non-profit, so it's not even a huge issue probably for most doctors. I'm guessing congress didn't anticipate this when they designed the program.

I've seen different sources come to different conclusions regarding government vs private sector compensation, so I'm not sure. Probably depends a lot on where you're at and what you're doing. Anecdotally, I've received multiple offers at the local, state, and federal levels. Some were a good amount below and some seemed a little over the local private sector going rates.

Many hospitals are non-profit, so it's not even a huge issue probably for most doctors. I'm guessing congress didn't anticipate this when they designed the program.

I've seen different sources come to different conclusions regarding government vs private sector compensation, so I'm not sure. Probably depends a lot on where you're at and what you're doing. Anecdotally, I've received multiple offers at the local, state, and federal levels. Some were a good amount below and some seemed a little over the local private sector going rates.

When I said "doctors" I didn't mean MDs but rather all people who have earned a doctorate education (this of course includes MDs, but other things as well such as PhDs).

The data from the federal government show that with the exception of people with a doctorate education, people with all other levels of college education are compensated less in the private sector than federal, state, and local government workers.

It's a trick so you better read the fine print cause Trump does absolutely nothing good for America and its citizens. The media, academia, political bobbleheads, celebrities and more than half of the war room Sherbros assure me its so.
My god, can you stop whining?

My god, can you stop whining?
Well, I was just about to now that I had gotten it off my chest but you had to just go an open your yap. So no, I will not stop Tonni thanks to your need to try and be the boss of me.

2adb0298649c911a0de70b16efeb5df0.gif

Well, I was just about to now that I had gotten it off my chest but you had to just go an open your yap. So no, I will not stop Tonni thanks to your need to try and be the boss of me.

2adb0298649c911a0de70b16efeb5df0.gif
I don't get K-pop and I never will.

You’re right. Your spot on. It’s my reason for not being for Bernie and Co’s college for all type plans. That just shifts the burden from the students to the taxpayers on what is way too expensive for what it should be to begin with. We need to cut that down.

But just because it’s overpriced and a clear problem needs to be fixed, doesn’t mean we should start talking about eliminating the systems that have been in place for those of us who have gotten higher education at a time when being assfucked by loans was the most common way to get a diploma (looking back, I’d definitely do things differently. Sorry 17-19 year old me made poor long term financial decisions. Shocker). The loans were taken out with the agreement of being forgiven after X years for working in a public sector type job.
People misunderstand Bernie's free college plan. It only applies to undergraduate programs at state and community colleges. And students would still have to qualify for the programs they enroll in while maintaining their grades. Postgrads would still pay, as would anyone who wishes to attend a private university. The idea is that it would eventually apply downward pressure on private schools as well and lower their costs over time.

Not that it matters anymore.
<mma1>

I don't get K-pop and I never will.
Aren't you in your late 30's? You're not SUPPOSED to get it, old man. Did your parents jam with you to Nirvana?

Back