Surprising observations from seeing my first amateur fights.

JohnOates

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
A new MMA place opened where I am at the beginning of the year and just had a first internal kickboxing style tournament last night.

A lot of the fighters just fought for the experience even if they had only trained for a few months and a few others had a few years prior experience in boxing. A few observations if I may as I am terribly confused :)

In almost every fight good technique went out the window and fighters resorted to staying in the pocket wanging wide hooks at each other until they clinched and the referee split the up. Rinse and repeat...

The winner was always the more aggressive guy who seemed more up for it. Even a fighter with a year prior experience, takes boxing seriously and looks awesome in training and with his shadowboxing technique got beat by a new aggressive guy with no technique and a lot of heart. The experienced boxer tried to slow down the pace and use his jab, and the new guy thought bugger this and just closed distance with his punches.

I guess I'm asking if this is normal for new fighters at this low level? Will the more aggressive fighter usually win?

I was very surprised at this :)

When two people with poor skill level start fighting, generally the tougher guy who throws more punches harder is going to win.

Yeah, it's common at that level. Little training, not enough time for technique to become second nature, not used to getting hit (and thus, more likely to shell up/panic).

Yup pretty much.

It's how my first fight looked too :icon_chee

The majority of amateur mma fights I have seen come down to cardio. Whoever gasses first loses, unless someone gets guillotined.

Cardio does become a huge factor in winning a amateur fight. Won my first kickboxing match this weekend & from the other fights I was able to watch, most came down to that.

experienced this and its so easy to get sucked into wingin hooks

Until you build up ring experience it'll be like that. Sparring, even hard sparring rarely compares to the full force brutality of the competition ring.

my first fight I ended up quite literally smashing a girls face cause all she knew to do was come forward into the pocket and swing. No defensive awareness and no footwork We were both in our first fight she was just clearly in the wrong weight class for her height and build and I ended up smashing her nose and seriously bruising her face. (normal enough I guess for many people on this forum :) )
Technique didn't come into it, just who was stronger and the more natural fighter, I was lucky I was.
In my 3rd fight though technique did get better but that brought new problems, the girl was just as strong as me and I broke my thumb in round 1, ended up with my own nose broken because I didn't really know how to fight when injured and what to instinctively do when faced with a taller fighter who had the same skills and strength as me.
ALL that experience will help though now, and as my coach says, everyone looks good on pads, but how do they look in the ring?

Until you build up ring experience it'll be like that. Sparring, even hard sparring rarely compares to the full force brutality of the competition ring.

my first fight I ended up quite literally smashing a girls face cause all she knew to do was come forward into the pocket and swing. No defensive awareness and no footwork We were both in our first fight she was just clearly in the wrong weight class for her height and build and I ended up smashing her nose and seriously bruising her face. (normal enough I guess for many people on this forum :) )
Technique didn't come into it, just who was stronger and the more natural fighter, I was lucky I was.
In my 3rd fight though technique did get better but that brought new problems, the girl was just as strong as me and I broke my thumb in round 1, ended up with my own nose broken because I didn't really know how to fight when injured and what to instinctively do when faced with a taller fighter who had the same skills and strength as me.
ALL that experience will help though now, and as my coach says, everyone looks good on pads, but how do they look in the ring?

I'm secretly hoping in heart that you're a guy, not a girl. That would be f-ing hilarious:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back