Surprised that Gunnar Nelson is not Irish

I saw plenty of people calling Nelson the best welterweight prospect before Conor's rise to fame.

this, i was one of em hahahaha. (still could be true tbh)

he had a decent amount of hype.

I figured he was as well cause every time I see him my penis is Dublin.

renato-laranja.jpg

Only in the sense that both countries are in Northern Europe. The Irish are Celts, the Icelanders are of Scandinavian (which is usually called nordic) descent.

The Irish are not Celts thats a common mistake. Irish people adopted Celtic customs and religion but they were not Celts per se.

The Irish came to British Isles thousands of years ago way before the Celts. Newgrange is evidence the Irish are an older race of people.

Uh, so where did the, you know CELTIC language/culture came from?

When proto-Irish were migrating to Ireland there would be plenty of Celtic people in 'Basque area' as well, just like in most Europe.

First Celt known Settlement was found in Germany. Celts were German originally.

The Irish are not Celts thats a common mistake. Irish people adopted Celtic customs and religion but they were not Celts per se.

The Irish came to British Isles thousands of years ago way before the Celts. Newgrange is evidence the Irish are an older race of people.

Irish ethnicity and culture are a complex mixture, as with most places. For some reason, the notion of Ireland as a 'Celtic' nation is the one which has persisted. It is really a mix of the various peoples which have come to Ireland over the years: pre-Celtic peoples, the Celts, the Vikings, the Normans, and the Anglo-Saxons. Most of Ireland's cities, including Dublin, are Viking cities.

Except it wasn't called Germany at the time, sound logic there Einstein.

Pointing it out as Germany makes it easier for people to know what area i am talking about. At the time of the Celts the names of the places was different. There was no big cities at this time only small fort towns.

Pointing it out as Germany makes it easier for people to know what area i am talking about. At the time of the Celts the names of the places was different. There was no big cities at this time only small fort towns.

It's called 'Germany' because the Romans called it 'Germania' and the tribes there 'Germanic'...Germanic tribes were a completely distinct linguistic and ethnic group from Celtic groups such as Bretons, Irish, Welsh, etc.

Doesn't matter how you phrase it, the Irish are not 'German'.

Irish ethnicity and culture are a complex mixture, as with most places. For some reason, the notion of Ireland as a 'Celtic' nation is the one which has persisted. It is really a mix of the various peoples which have come to Ireland over the years: pre-Celtic peoples, the Celts, the Vikings, the Normans, and the Anglo-Saxons. Most of Ireland's cities, including Dublin, are Viking cities.

DNA evidence says Irish people came from Spain, the Basque region specifically. There was an Ice age 12,000 thousand years ago so i have no problem with those findings. Basque region was likely a warm place to live. Northern Europe was covered with Ice 12,000 thousand years ago not the best place to live.

It's called 'Germany' because the Romans called it 'Germania' and the tribes there 'Germanic'...Germanic tribes were a completely distinct linguistic and ethnic group from Celtic groups such as Bretons, Irish, Welsh, etc.

Doesn't matter how you phrase it, the Irish are not 'German'.

Irish are not Celtics or German i never said they are!

Newgrange a historical building older then the Pyramids and Stonehedge is evidence Ireland was settled long before the Celts.

Celts were there before the Romans came to Germania.

Hallstatt-culture http://archaeology.about.com/od/ironage/qt/Hallstatt-Culture.htm

Only in the sense that both countries are in Northern Europe. The Irish are Celts, the Icelanders are of Scandinavian (which is usually called nordic) descent.

This.

My toughts exactly, lol. :D

Cathal Pendred and Conor McGregor aren't traditional Irish names either. And I'm willing to bet you'll find more Nelsons in Ireland than in Iceland.

I've said all this then the likes of fighting gaming comes along and just repeats what I said.

I was surprised to find that John Lineker is Brazilian.

Cathal Pendred and Conor McGregor aren't traditional Irish names either. And I'm willing to bet you'll find more Nelsons in Ireland than in Iceland.

Cathal and Conor are EXTREMELY common Irish names. Forenames anyway. McGregor is more Scottish but it's fairly normal. Pendred. Honestly never heard that surname in my life. Pender maybe. A guy in secondary school was known as "Pender the bender"

I hear Gunnar's dad is actually a YANK that's where the Nelson came from.

Back