Surprised that Gunnar Nelson is not Irish

You can tell he spends a lot of time in Ireland. His accent when speaking English has a pretty heavy Dublin twang.

Great thread. I'm glad this was sorted.

And you were doing so well until right there. I think you meant "Britain".

Kinda. I specifically said "England" instead of Britain cause the Romans never conquered Scotland - the Picts and the Scoti gave them a hell of a lot of trouble. They even built Hadrians wall as a show of force and which was the inspiration for the Wall in A song of Ice and Fire.

However saying England was a poor choice as "England" wasn't even a concept then.

I remember seeing a couple of his fights in bamma. Thought he was a pure jiu jitsu before lol

Icelandics and Irish are both Nordic.

eb6.jpg

The Romans didn't conquer Britain.

But what they did conquer, *they* referred to as "Britain" (Britannia). My point (as has already been acknowledged) was that "England" did not even exist at the time, and there were no "English" on the island, either (or at least very few Angles/Jutes/Saxons).

But what they did conquer, *they* referred to as "Britain" (Britannia). My point (as has already been acknowledged) was that "England" did not even exist at the time, and there were no "English" on the island, either (or at least very few Angles/Jutes/Saxons).

Ye. As I said England was poor choice of term but I meant it as the Romans got their arses handed up them by the Picts so they never held "Britain" as we know it today.

My point was just cause somewhere was under the Roman Empire doesn't make them "Romance" or "Latin" peoples/languages.

Besides, back to the original point. I'm Irish and have never met a single Irish person with the name Gunnar. I'm sure they might exist, say for an Irish person with a Scandanvian parent but Gunnar is about as Scandinavian as you get can.

Anyone remember the "baby Faced Assassin" Ole Gunnar Solskj

I always laugh when I see people slating him for the Ireland card. I don't think half the forum knew who he was before it was common knowledge that is a training partner of Conor.

Wrong!

Gunnar Nelson emerged on the MMA scene long before anybody here knew about McGregor.

So if anything maybe Conor is the one who is known to be a sparring partner of Gunnar Nelson. :icon_chee

Actually because of the influx of Viking, norman, and Saxons onto our fair isle Adolf Hitler himself had Ireland in his "top tier" of Nordic countries.

Then again Hitler was an idiot.
There is definitely a big nordic influence on Ireland but it's a big step to call it a nordic country. We have indigenous people here who are Mediterranean dark plus we have a community known as Irish travellers aka knackers/tinkers who are scum of the fucking earth.
And during the years 1995-2007 we had what was known as the Celtic Tiger - a period of economic wonder. So to show the world what a great and welcoming country we decided to take in a load of Nigerians and other sub-Saharan Africans! Now these people simply do not work and just live off benefits, but that's another story i guess.

I can't recall a time I've ever been surprised that a person wasn't Irish.

Gunnar is a Scandinavian Icelandic/Swedish name. And very much so.

I figured he was as well cause every time I see him my penis is Dublin.

Back