Surprised that Gunnar Nelson is not Irish

hasar

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Always thought he was from Ireland.

I always laugh when I see people slating him for the Ireland card. I don't think half the forum knew who he was before it was common knowledge that is a training partner of Conor.

I always laugh when I see people slating him for the Ireland card. I don't think half the forum knew who he was before it was common knowledge that is a training partner of Conor.

I saw plenty of people calling Nelson the best welterweight prospect before Conor's rise to fame.

Yeah, Gunnar Nelson is such stereotypical Irish name.

He's from Iceland and does most of his training in the Mjolnir gym there, Kavanagh is his main coach though and he does put in time at SBG in Dublin.

Icelandics and Irish are both Nordic.

Only in the sense that both countries are in Northern Europe. The Irish are Celts, the Icelanders are of Scandinavian (which is usually called nordic) descent.

Huh.....I kind of always thought he was Irish as well b/c of the Conor connection. And I do remember when people were talking about how Nelson was gonna take over the WW division.

I saw plenty of people calling Nelson the best welterweight prospect before Conor's rise to fame.

I knew about Gunnar Gunni before Conor Mc as well, since he fought in the UFC and dismantled TheMarques Johnson a good 7 months before Conor Mc showed up in the UFC. But I'm hip like that.

The Irish aren't "nordic" per se but we had a ton of Vikings come over here - all out major cities - Cork, Dublin, Waterford were started by the Vikings.

Then in about 1169 we had the Norman invasion and the Normans were Vikings who had settled in the North of France.

However the indigenous irish (or the first peoples who settle ireland) were not Celts but migrants from the Basque area. In fact there were little or zero Celts ever settled in ireland. It's just bullshit that they tried to give the Irish a sense of identity in the 19th century.

However the indigenous irish (or the first peoples who settle ireland) were not Celts but migrants from the Basque area. In fact there were little or zero Celts ever settled in ireland. It's just bullshit that they tried to give the Irish a sense of identity in the 19th century.

Uh, so where did the, you know CELTIC language/culture came from?

When proto-Irish were migrating to Ireland there would be plenty of Celtic people in 'Basque area' as well, just like in most Europe.

Yeah the irish language is considered "celtic" but the Spanish language is considered "latin" or "romance" and they're not Roman/Italian.

They certainly had tradings and influences from the Celts of mainland europe - i mean you have stuff like the Ardagh chalice is celtic in design - but the idea that the Irish are a "celtic" people has been throughly disproved. Just google you ignorant Polish twat. You mean to tell me you know more about the origins of my own country, I don't know if the poles are slavs or Germanic and i don't pretend to know.

And take guys like McGregor who certainly looks like he's descended from the Vikings but you also have guys like Colin Farrell who looks Spanish/Basque.

The Irish are pretty much a mix of Basque/Viking/Norman/Saxon (from the Protestant ascendancy) but little or no Celtic.

Last edited:
LMAO.

Why so angry dude?

Judging by some hypothetical ancient genetics isn't really a way to guess who one is.

People were forming their ethnicity based on common culture, way of life, and in most cases, language.

language is considered "latin" or "romance" and they're not Roman/Italian.

They are, in a way, Roman - they were people who under Roman rule, adopted Roman way of life, including Vulgar Latin that later became Spanish languages.

What later became Spanish culture stems from Roman law, tradition, customs, Roman Christianity etc.

conversely, they did a genetic study and they found that in Iceland the male line is almost all Scandinavian and the female line is almost all Irish.

So they say, Nordic settlers came down to Ireland, grabbed themselves a wife and sailed off to Iceland to start a new life. Now whether the Irish women went willingly or were kidnapped is up for debate.

LMAO.

Why so angry dude?

Judging by some hypothetical ancient genetics isn't really a way to guess who one is.

People were forming their ethnicity based on common culture, way of life, and in most cases, language.

They are, in a way, Roman - they were people who under Roman rule, adopted Roman way of life, including Vulgar Latin that later became Spanish languages.

What later became Spanish culture stems from Roman law, tradition, customs, Roman Christianity etc.

They may have lived under the Roman Empire but so did England (for about 400 years. In fact so did half the known world. Like little or no Celts settled in Ireland, I would say little or no Italians settled in Spain under the Roman Empire.
They're still Spanish.

Surprised this isn't a white belt thread.

They may have lived under the Roman Empire but so did England (for about 400 years. In fact so did half the known world. Like little or no Celts settled in Ireland, I would say little or no Italians settled in Spain under the Roman Empire.
They're still Spanish.

This is disputed stuff and there is no clear answer to my knowledge. It is certainly possible that Celts settled in Ireland because there is clear evidence of their influence (the language, to name one). However, it is also possible that the Celtic heritage arrived in by way of trade. However, I find it unlikely that a language migrated on its own without and influx of speakers from outside.

Back