Surprised that Gunnar Nelson is not Irish

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by hasar, Aug 3, 2015.

1. hasar

hasar Yellow Card Yellow Card

Always thought he was from Ireland.

2. RJ43

RJ43 The Baddy

I always laugh when I see people slating him for the Ireland card. I don't think half the forum knew who he was before it was common knowledge that is a training partner of Conor.

3. JustinvR

JustinvR Brown Belt

I saw plenty of people calling Nelson the best welterweight prospect before Conor's rise to fame.

4. Karelinator

Karelinator Bulgarian pursuittt Platinum Member

Yeah, Gunnar Nelson is such stereotypical Irish name.

5. the ax murderer

the ax murderer Looking At The Stars.

He's from Iceland and does most of his training in the Mjolnir gym there, Kavanagh is his main coach though and he does put in time at SBG in Dublin.

6. VAfan

VAfan Gold Belt

well, it's only one letter away.

7. ray tango

ray tango Insha'Allah

I "c" what you did there...

8. Vergilius

Vergilius Brown Belt

Only in the sense that both countries are in Northern Europe. The Irish are Celts, the Icelanders are of Scandinavian (which is usually called nordic) descent.

9. TheNinja

TheNinja Gold Belt

Huh.....I kind of always thought he was Irish as well b/c of the Conor connection. And I do remember when people were talking about how Nelson was gonna take over the WW division.

10. Ragnarocker

Ragnarocker Banned Banned

I knew about Gunnar Gunni before Conor Mc as well, since he fought in the UFC and dismantled TheMarques Johnson a good 7 months before Conor Mc showed up in the UFC. But I'm hip like that.

11. Nelson McGunnar

Nelson McGunnar Banned Banned

The Irish aren't "nordic" per se but we had a ton of Vikings come over here - all out major cities - Cork, Dublin, Waterford were started by the Vikings.

Then in about 1169 we had the Norman invasion and the Normans were Vikings who had settled in the North of France.

However the indigenous irish (or the first peoples who settle ireland) were not Celts but migrants from the Basque area. In fact there were little or zero Celts ever settled in ireland. It's just bullshit that they tried to give the Irish a sense of identity in the 19th century.

12. Karelinator

Uh, so where did the, you know CELTIC language/culture came from?

When proto-Irish were migrating to Ireland there would be plenty of Celtic people in 'Basque area' as well, just like in most Europe.

13. Nelson McGunnar

Yeah the irish language is considered "celtic" but the Spanish language is considered "latin" or "romance" and they're not Roman/Italian.

They certainly had tradings and influences from the Celts of mainland europe - i mean you have stuff like the Ardagh chalice is celtic in design - but the idea that the Irish are a "celtic" people has been throughly disproved. Just google you ignorant Polish twat. You mean to tell me you know more about the origins of my own country, I don't know if the poles are slavs or Germanic and i don't pretend to know.

And take guys like McGregor who certainly looks like he's descended from the Vikings but you also have guys like Colin Farrell who looks Spanish/Basque.

The Irish are pretty much a mix of Basque/Viking/Norman/Saxon (from the Protestant ascendancy) but little or no Celtic.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  14. Karelinator

LMAO.

Why so angry dude?

Judging by some hypothetical ancient genetics isn't really a way to guess who one is.

People were forming their ethnicity based on common culture, way of life, and in most cases, language.

They are, in a way, Roman - they were people who under Roman rule, adopted Roman way of life, including Vulgar Latin that later became Spanish languages.

What later became Spanish culture stems from Roman law, tradition, customs, Roman Christianity etc.

15. Nelson McGunnar

conversely, they did a genetic study and they found that in Iceland the male line is almost all Scandinavian and the female line is almost all Irish.

So they say, Nordic settlers came down to Ireland, grabbed themselves a wife and sailed off to Iceland to start a new life. Now whether the Irish women went willingly or were kidnapped is up for debate.

16. Polar Bears

Polar Bears Orange Belt

no he is not. he is from iceland

17. Nelson McGunnar

They may have lived under the Roman Empire but so did England (for about 400 years. In fact so did half the known world. Like little or no Celts settled in Ireland, I would say little or no Italians settled in Spain under the Roman Empire.
    They're still Spanish.

18. WallyBear

WallyBear I am the liquor.

Surprised this isn't a white belt thread.

19. TrueBias

TrueBias Silver Belt

That is correct.

20. Vergilius

Vergilius Brown Belt

This is disputed stuff and there is no clear answer to my knowledge. It is certainly possible that Celts settled in Ireland because there is clear evidence of their influence (the language, to name one). However, it is also possible that the Celtic heritage arrived in by way of trade. However, I find it unlikely that a language migrated on its own without and influx of speakers from outside.