Surprise smoker in 10 days, does increased conditioning make sense?

FStep

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I didn't think I was going to have an opponent, but got one last minute. I have 10 days to go. I am in shape and ready to go as i've been training hard, but perhaps a notch below where I would've been had I known a month ago, just wondering if it makes sense to step up the conditioning with this little time left or tone it down at this point?

If step it up, what's better at this point running, jump rope, bag work, etc?

Edit: it's a muay thai smoker

Last edited:
I wouldn't imagine there'd be much improvement to be had in 10 days, especially if you're going to have a bit of time tapering before the smoker. Maybe just continue as you are and ease off a couple of days before - is this your first one? Good luck!

I wouldn't imagine there'd be much improvement to be had in 10 days, especially if you're going to have a bit of time tapering before the smoker. Maybe just continue as you are and ease off a couple of days before - is this your first one? Good luck!

Yep first one!

Do you stop completely a couple days out or how much do you typically reduce the intensity the week of? I play to do the last sparring session 7 days prior.

Yep first one!

Do you stop completely a couple days out or how much do you typically reduce the intensity the week of? I play to do the last sparring session 7 days prior.

If its hard sparring to me thats stupid.

Yep first one!

If you're sparring 7 days out, I wouldn't be going too hard and risk injury that close to your fight. With everything else, it's up to you, maybe some light roadwork, skipping, hit the pads, break a sweat but leave plenty in the tank ready for the big day. You'll be fine - if it's your first one expect to be blowing hard early on anyway!

Sparring generally stops around 7 days out, but live drills are always still good for another few days after.

In 10 days? You've got enough time for a *small* gain in conditioning, absolutely, but to your own words you're already in shape and ready to go. No sense ramping up if you don't need to.

Typically with my guys, we have a moderate session on the Monday, a hard session on Tuesday, a moderate - easy session on Wednesday, a very gentle session (basically just shadow boxing and some bag work) on Thursday, complete rest on Friday (generally our weigh-in day, and fight on Saturday. At this stage the goal is to make sure you come in as fresh and ready as possible on the day of the fight, as well as being on weight safely and comfortably.

Kinda depends on your overall training load and plan so far. Very general advice would be to not step up conditioning volume wise

Back