Supressing 50/50 guard

mweaver123

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay, so this brown belt I'm rolling with seems to like 50/50 guard and uses it quite a bit. I, as a lowly white belt, have not trained it at all yet and so I was clueless as to how to deal with it. What are some strategies I can use to counteract or suppress this guard? I'd kinda just like to play a more traditional grappling game, I guess (at least, for the time being). :icon_chee

there are numerous entries to the 50/50 from various positions.

#1 thing is, early prevention is the best defense.....

just avoid it and when you get in it turn around and flee!

if you choose to fight it at this stage you will lose. the only other option is to learn it...

It's 50/50. Just do exactly what he does to shut it down. :p

No, but seriously, stomping the entangled leg forward everytime your opponent tries to stand up is an excellent start. After that it's mostly a matter of sleeve control and angle.

Again, if you two have locked 50/50's than just stomp your inside entangled foot away from his body as hard as you can to keep him off balanced. In the mean time just pull that brown belt aside after class and ask him to teach you some stuff. In my experience 50/50 guys love showing off what they know cause they kind of have this rebel status.

He's a brownbelt, you're a whitebelt; he can't do anything to you except sweep / armbar. 50/50 is to your advantage!

Heel hook him!!1

(I'm 99% joking here)

there are numerous entries to the 50/50 from various positions.

#1 thing is, early prevention is the best defense.....

just avoid it and when you get in it turn around and flee!

if you choose to fight it at this stage you will lose. the only other option is to learn it...

kind of my thought on STDs.....

You can pass:

YouTube - UFC Style 50 50 defense PART 1 / counter / escape
YouTube - 50 50 defense PART 2 -- Inside Heel hook / counter / escape (Ufc 103 Technique)

I regularly use these two methods of passing the 50/50. The most important piece of info is in how you stand (which Phil covers excellently), and keeping your foot flat on the ground. Smash it down and get out ASAP.

I like these alot also (lol, and not just because I'm in the videos). There's a good one that Ryron and Rener (I think it was those two) Gracie put out also that was pretty good and sort of similar. I'll see if I can dig the video up.

I've had ok luck disengaging from the 50/50 position by tilting my hips back into/facing the opponent and then posting with my non-entangled leg and trying to slip my entangled leg out.

Three methods that I use to figure out problem positions:

1. Ask my instructor/classmates for their input and explore the position with them.
-this gives you the chance to get multiple viewpoints on the position, how to prevent it, how to stop it once it's locked in and how to deal with it once you are playing the position.

2. Break the position down on your own by watching teammates use it and watching video of the position. Figure out how people are getting into the position, what they need to complete a successful entry into the position, what they need once they are in the position and what they are trying to do with the position/where they want the position to go.

3. Play with the position intuitively. Meaning pay attention to what you naturally do when you feel like you are being put there and pay attention to what your training partners with more experience do intuitively if they are new to the position. If there is anything that you naturally do that makes it harder for your partner to enter into the position or complete their goal in the position, then make a note of it and start building around that nugget of information. For example, when I play with footlocks against guys who aren't that experienced with them, they naturally try to grab my hands to stop me from finishing the moves. Sometimes their hand placement is useless, sometimes it effectively stops me from doing what I want to do. So now I can take the movement that they used intuitively and build something off of that. Maybe using their effective gripping to improve my footlock defense, maybe modifying my own grips to make it harder for them to control my hands when I am trying to footlock.

Hope that makes sense!

if youre in the standing 50/50 if you step over you can put them in the scorpion deathlock

if this ever worked on a brown belt it would only work once.

if youre in the standing 50/50 if you step over you can put them in the scorpion deathlock

And then said brown belt would put you in that position multiple times and tap you with this deathlock (assuming you're a white belt).

This revolutionary vid has made the 50/50 obsolete.

lol.

Purchase Ryan Hall's dvd on 50/50. He shows some defenses to the position as well as offense.

Back