Supps that help me

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by dkaki, Aug 19, 2010.

1. dkaki

dkaki White Belt

Hey guys before i go on asking.. take note i have used the search button and it gave me answers from years back...i have read the faq and it has nothing on this but "ur own preference"...so my question is... what to take in order to help lose weight? fatburner? if so which one? what supplements to take before cardio and such... i understand the whole do it natural since that was my initial plan...but i dont have much time left and i havent had experience dropping this much... im 204lbs right now,..and i wanna get to 160-170 by november...the tournament im planning to join is on december...so i gave a one month period for me to adapt to the weight and make adjustments...dropping to 160 then gaining to 170 with muscle is also something i wanna acheive...so please guys...any help?

i posted this in the s&d dept..but realized it was the wrong place

2. leftovercrack

leftovercrack Yellow Belt

Thats alot of weight to lose by november. Are you carrying around alot of extra fat?

What is your calorie intake like now? HOw often do you train? What kind of shape are you in? Are you in poor cardiovascular shape?

There is so many unanswered question that need to be before you could possibly be given any logical advice. Relying on supplements to lose 45 pounds by Nov. is not the right approach IMO. Your daily nutrional intake and excercise habits are the most important things that will help you reach your goal.

3. dkaki

dkaki White Belt

my daily intake is about 1500-2000 cal a day usually a 45-25-30 carb-fat-protein ratio...mwf i do MT and bjj...tths i do weight training(circuit).... i think im carrying a lot of body fat...i just recovered from my shoulder injury and wasnt able to train for 6 months,...my cardio seems to be in good shape since i can do about 6-8miles of running...im currently taking a supp called oxyelite pro,...but im wondering if theres something better? or should i change to a pre workout supp instead?

4. leftovercrack

leftovercrack Yellow Belt

I know nothing of these supplements. I don't think the advice I could give is what your looking for. sorry.

5. Blackice

Blackice Orange Belt

I've used a fat burner before and then I hit a plateau and stopped using it and guess what? I've lost more weight without it consistently than I did with it. Caloric deficit, clean eating, proper exercise and enough protein ensure healthy weight loss whilst retaining your muscle mass. I stick 1-2 cheat days a week in there to keep my metabolism from regulating and it works for me. That way I can have my cake and eat it too while I still lose weight and retain the muscle I've worked hard for. The best thing you can do is experiment on yourself. That's how you figure out what works best for you. You can use a fat burner if you want to, but you definitely don't need one to lose weight, and it doesn't come off any faster using one. At least not for me.

6. Denbob99

Denbob99 Orange Belt

I would probably up your protein, you're losing a lot of weight and you want to try and keep as much muscle as possible afterwards. Also, fish oil is great for losing fat, shoot for 6g a day.

7. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

Have you really carefully measured your caloric intake? That's really low for the amount of training that you do. Assuming that MWF you are doing 2 hours of training, that alone should be on the order of 700-1200 calories. You say you CAN run 6-8 miles, is it something you are doing on a regular basis?

It feels like you should be dropping fat fast with what you are already doing, so something is off.

8. immovablestone

immovablestone Purple Belt

No. Real food is better than any supplement, make sure you eat it.

Reduce carbohydrate calories, increase protein and animal fat calories, drink enough water. This, with the training you describe, should be enough.

9. Denbob99

Denbob99 Orange Belt

This is also very true, if you're not careful you'll stall badly.

10. dropshot001

dropshot001 Red Belt

yohimbine hcl can work well

11. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

You've got about 40lbs to drop. No sense worrying about "fat burners" at this stage. You need to get your diet and training in order. There's no point in introducing supplements into the mix until you're already reasonably lean, since supplements aren't going to make a big difference anyway.

12. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

yeah seriously. people fail to realize once they tailor their diet and training together, it is far better than any fat burner out there. Especially if you are overweight. Just the change in diet alone will get you great results.

13. dkaki

dkaki White Belt

yeah :) i have a calorie calc app on my phone...and i know its low...i lack about 1000 cal depending on how hard i train that day...i run mwf when it doesnt rain...rain is the only thing that stops me from running... ive lost 6lbs already..but i need to lose 44lbs more....and only have 4 months..so im kinda in a panic :) i have to drop to that division before december...

14. dkaki

dkaki White Belt

yeah ive mentioned it already...i wanna reach that weight asap...then maintain it with proper diet,..im only tapping into fat burners now coz i really need to lose the weight for the division i wanna compete in...

15. dkaki

dkaki White Belt

will i be able to lose the 40lbs majority fat within 4 months by just following a diet? will i remain strong? if i can be assured that if i follow a diet then yeah id gladly accept it over just taking fat burners... im just in a panic right now,...

16. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

Supplements won't make or break you on this. You can do it with diet, exercise, and an intelligent pre-tournament cut.

Will you lose strength? Absolutely, especially if you actually had any to begin with.

Is losing 40lbs in 4 months a good idea? Probably not.

Is it healthy? Probably not.

If I were you, I would start training seriously (doesn't sound like you have been), get a good diet going, and not worry about making the 160 or 170 class (or whatever it is) for the tournament. See where you are a few weeks out from the tournament (when you would send your registration in, I suppose), and then pick your weight class. Why are you determined to compete so light? You'll do better if you're not frail from 4 months of hard dieting and big pre-tournament cut.

17. dkaki

dkaki White Belt

i just recovered from a 6 month shoulder injury. I had to stop all training and thus lead to depression and a lot of weight gain. ive always been an athlete and the shoulder injury was my first one. so it kinda derailed me. ive never packed this much weight in such a short time. im just concerned with the weight loss right now coz ive never cut this much weight before.

18. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

Why not just work your way down to that division. surely it wouldn't kill you to compete at a little heavier. It would be much easier, healthier, and you'd probably perform better

19. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

I understand you have weight to lose. My point is, if you choose to do the 40lbs in 4 months thing, you're going to sacrifice a lot in other aspects of health and performance. Why not focus on performance goals (getting stronger, faster, better conditioned, etc.) and a moderate, sustainable pace of weight loss? Don't worry about what the scale is going to say 4 months from now...focus on more substantial things. That's what I would do, anyway.

20. dkaki

dkaki White Belt

ok guys thanks for the tip. i'll try focusing on the performance over the weight loss. on the side note around how much weight would i be able to lose and remain in top shape in that amount of time?