Supplement for training 6 times a week?

dragonkid

White Belt
Reaction score
I have recently read an article from here

And it said that the keys to recovery is using supplements containing: Whey Protein, BCCAs, Glutamine, and Creatine.

I am currently started training 3 sessions a day, 6 days a week. Doing Cardio in the morning, weight training around lunch time, and MMA fighting classes at night.

I used to drink Sci-MX Omni MX Hardcore

But after reading from other reviews, many people had say this All in one protein will make you fat.

So now I have changed to MusclePharm Combat, MusclePharm Creatine, MusclePharm Glutamine, MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2, MusclePharm Assault and MusclePharm Shred Matrix.

I am only on my first week of using these. Then I go back to check on the Sci-MX Omni MX Hardcore, and realized that this all in one powder actually contains all the MusclePharm products which I am using.

So my question is, should I stick to MusclePharm or go back to Sci-MX, when I finished using MusclePharm.

The main factor is actually the cost. All the MusclePharm products I am using cost a lot more than 1 Sci-MX.

Also could some of you recommend other products which might be cheaper and still getting the same results.

Please advice, :icon_conf

That's a load of exercise you're doing. Best advice I can give you is you need to be eating a shit load of food.
Whey is good post workout and a convenience when trying to hit protein macros, BCAA's are pretty good when dieting, Glutamine I used to supplement but didn't notice any difference when I stopped, and creatine is will help with strength training.

Best advice for cost, you could likely drop the Glutamine and the BCAA's and still see the same results. But that's just my opinion.

Agreed. Food first, lots of protein, right amount of carbs and fat. Consistently. IMO you don't need the BCAAs or glutamine. You can get micronized creapure creatine monohydrate dirt cheap, and stack it with Beta Alanine and/or citrulline malate. You're paying a shitload of $$ when you don't really need to.

Creatine and protein powder are really all you need. Protein powder to supplement the times you're not getting you're daily requirements through food.

BA and Citrulline are nice-to-haves, that actually work, if you have the money and desire to use them.

G

Agreed. Food first, lots of protein, right amount of carbs and fat. Consistently. IMO you don't need the BCAAs or glutamine. You can get micronized creapure creatine monohydrate dirt cheap, and stack it with Beta Alanine and/or citrulline malate. You're paying a shitload of $$ when you don't really need to.

Creatine and protein powder are really all you need. Protein powder to supplement the times you're not getting you're daily requirements through food.

BA and Citrulline are nice-to-haves, that actually work, if you have the money and desire to use them.

G

Thanks for your advice, what is BA stand for? BETA-ALANINE?

And it said that the keys to recovery is using supplements containing: Whey Protein, BCCAs, Glutamine, and Creatine.

Most whey protein mixes are full of BCAAs anyway, glutamine meh. Stick with a good whey and creatine, I use assault for a pre when I work out in the morning as well. I guess shred would be good if you are trying to lose weight but working out 18 times a week, that is unlikely to be a problem anyway.

So I gotta ask... why on earth are you working out so much? Sounds like a recipe for injuries as you aren't allowing your body to recover.

How is your diet? what are you eating to fuel all of this exercise?

P.S you must really love musclepharm, you should buy shares.

Lot of food. And coffee never hurts

Most whey protein mixes are full of BCAAs anyway, glutamine meh. Stick with a good whey and creatine, I use assault for a pre when I work out in the morning as well. I guess shred would be good if you are trying to lose weight but working out 18 times a week, that is unlikely to be a problem anyway.

So I gotta ask... why on earth are you working out so much? Sounds like a recipe for injuries as you aren't allowing your body to recover.

How is your diet? what are you eating to fuel all of this exercise?

P.S you must really love musclepharm, you should buy shares.

Yeah, I love MusclePhram stuff. :icon_chee
I dream of one day they will sponser me. :icon_chee

After doing a bit more research, you are right. BCCAs and Glutimine are also in the Combat powder, so I think I can stop buying additional BCCAs and Glutimine. I also use Assualt only if I feel like I need it.

My diet, lots of meat, vegetable and rice or pasta. I have Oatmeal in the morning after cardio.

I am working so hard, because I am now 40 years old. If I don't train this hard, I am not sure if I can keep up with younger fighters who are in their 20 - 30 years old. Also I have already quit my office job, and pursue my dream of getting into UFC and win a title before I die. :redface:

BCAA's: Made entirely redundant by a protein-rich diet, though there's plenty of anecdotal tidbits out there saying they work miracles. Personally I think they're a giant waste of money unless you're intermittent fasting.

Glutamine: Just a waste, period.

When you get older, your volume has to go down, not up. It's just the harsh reality. You've got to sieve your exercise selection down to what is crucial and cut out all the filler. This is a well established approach for aging athletes, and it's what Randy Couture did as well.

BCAA's: Made entirely redundant by a protein-rich diet, though there's plenty of anecdotal tidbits out there saying they work miracles. Personally I think they're a giant waste of money unless you're intermittent fasting.

Glutamine: Just a waste, period.

When you get older, your volume has to go down, not up. It's just the harsh reality. You've got to sieve your exercise selection down to what is crucial and cut out all the filler. This is a well established approach for aging athletes, and it's what Randy Couture did as well.

So train less time? And work on techniques more?

So train less time? And work on techniques more?

Hell man, there's no real answer to that question without coaching you personally. I can't pretend to tell you what your body dictates - maybe you've got fantastic genetics for an older guy and you can go balls out 6xWeek.

As much as I hate using bullshit slogans, listen to your body. It will tell you when it needs less volume and more rest/food. Find a mix that keeps you ticking and don't train through the obvious signs (so, so common). If you need more work, there's always flow drills, light rolling, mitt work, etc.

I really only meant to inform you that BCAA's probably won't do all that much, glutamine is absolutely worthless, and to suggest you be cognizant that you can't just outwork your age. Best of luck to you though.

Hell man, there's no real answer to that question without coaching you personally. I can't pretend to tell you what your body dictates - maybe you've got fantastic genetics for an older guy and you can go balls out 6xWeek.

As much as I hate using bullshit slogans, listen to your body. It will tell you when it needs less volume and more rest/food. Find a mix that keeps you ticking and don't train through the obvious signs (so, so common). If you need more work, there's always flow drills, light rolling, mitt work, etc.

I really only meant to inform you that BCAA's probably won't do all that much, glutamine is absolutely worthless, and to suggest you be cognizant that you can't just outwork your age. Best of luck to you though.

Thanks for your advice, I like your blog. I will read more of it. :icon_conf

Good thread.I was just about to make a thread about recovery as well. I've been training quite a lot 5-7 days a week for a while , body starting to hurt lol.

Supplementation shouldn't be your nutritional front line. Supplementation should be used for the nutrition you absolutely cannot get in a normal day. The consumption of only proper macros and calories will fool you into thinking you're getting enough micronutrients to be as fit as you're meant to be.

Best of luck with your fighting. Come over to F11 and post videos when you get around to it.

Supplementation shouldn't be your nutritional front line. Supplementation should be used for the nutrition you absolutely cannot get in a normal day. The consumption of only proper macros and calories will fool you into thinking you're getting enough micronutrients to be as fit as you're meant to be.

Best of luck with your fighting. Come over to F11 and post videos when you get around to it.

Where is F11? I am aiming to have my first MMA fight early next year. :icon_conf

Id supplement the training with the following supplements

FTR, these supplements are PROVEN by science to work:
-sleep
-water
-clean food

thats it.

Ts what does your training schedule look like? Is your cardio LISS jogging or something more intense? What does your weight routine look like? Chances are you don't need to be lifting everyday. 3x a day is a lot even for a 20 year old, I would advise you to cut back.

Ts what does your training schedule look like? Is your cardio LISS jogging or something more intense? What does your weight routine look like? Chances are you don't need to be lifting everyday. 3x a day is a lot even for a 20 year old, I would advise you to cut back.

Morning:
Cardio, I change different cardio machines each day and work on it for 30 minutes. so I can shock my body.Then 15 minutes of punch bag or grappling dummy for 3 rounds of 5 minutes each round and 1 minute rest between rounds,

Afternoon:
Weight routine is:
Monday = Chests and Back
Tuesday = Legs
Wednesday = Shoulders and arms
Thursday = Chests and Back
Friday = Legs
Saturday = Shoulders and arms
Sunday = Rest

Evening:
Monday = Boxing
Tuesday = BJJ and Wrestling