Supersets

Lead

/Led/ blanket
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't want to get shot down if this is a common or bad question but I started putting in supersets in my workout. My goal is gaining strength so I was wondering whether this is beneficial or not. From the articles I read, it seems good but I want some of your opinions. Do any of you use them, if so which kind and how many sets and reps?

What kind of supersetting are you talking about? Sometimes supersetting something like a press and some sort of row/chin up is useful to save time in training but I think it may result in some sort of decrease in performance. Something about reciprocal inhibition, I'm not sure really. Anyways supersetting is usually not a good idea if strength is your goal.

What kind of supersetting are you talking about? Sometimes supersetting something like a press and some sort of row/chin up is useful to save time in training but I think it may result in some sort of decrease in performance. Something about reciprocal inhibition, I'm not sure really. Anyways supersetting is usually not a good idea if strength is your goal.

I see. Well for shoulders I was doing lat raises and overhead press. With chest, DB press and DB flies (I think I might ditch these), and for arms pushdowns and DB curls. Some are working the same muscles but some are opposite.

Supersets are where you are working the same muscle/muscle groups , which is something that can be used for hypertrophy (size gain)...although you still should be judicous about their use. For strength gains it's pretty useless.

Alternate sets are where you do exercises that use different muscle groups (for the most part, there can be some overlap). This can be useful to save time, as rckvl mentioned. As to whether it noticeable affects performance on either lift, that depends on the individual, and the routine.

Your second reponse leads me to believe you'd greatly benefit from reading the FAQ, especially the section on routines.

Last edited:
Alternate sets are where you do exercises that use different muscle groups (for the most part, there's can be some overlap). This can be useful to save time, as rckvl mentioned. As to whether it noticeable affects performance on either lift, that depends on the individual, and the routine.

I always just called that a superset.

Well, I learned something today.

I do alternate sets all the time, in order to save time. I've never noticed a decrease in performance.

Now I don't get how these super sets are good for gaining size, but not strength. How does that work seriously? I work out but i am retarded when it comes to this kind of stuff.

I always just called that a superset.

Well, I learned something today.

I do alternate sets all the time, in order to save time. I've never noticed a decrease in performance.

Well, you can call it a superset if you want, I wouldn't consider it "wrong", it's not like there's a dictionary defining these terms. Certainly many people do just call it a superset. But I like the term alternate set for the sake of clarity (also I think it sounds better, more modest, and not associated with pumping the Gunzors).

Now I don't get how these super sets are good for gaining size, but not strength. How does that work seriously? I work out but i am retarded when it comes to this kind of stuff.

They can work for size because they allow for muscle fibers that have more endurance to be fatigued, by continuing to stimulate them...same principal as drop sets. If the focus is strength, you want to produce as much force as possible during your lifts, so fatiguing the muscles with another lift inbetween sets is counter productive. That said, getting bigger does help someone get stronger, so depending on the individual, there could be a time and place for supersets even if the ultimate goal is strength...E.x. if someone's doing a hypertrophy block, some accessory work might be supersetted.

superset is any set of exercises, one performed right after the next and then repeating the cycle from the first to the second

doesn't necessarily have to be the same or a different muscle group.....it can even be 3 sets each done with a different exercise and then repeating

Back