Superman Returns (2006) is underrated

STEVEN SEAGOLD

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
thumb-1920-386592.jpg

Successful in the eyes of the critics, but not the audience. I just love the throwback feel to the Donner Superman films. Loved the ambiance and general introspective quaintness. A somber character study.

Yes the film had some flaws, but I still prefer it over Man of Steel, which was cool with it's Gladiator meets Superman elements... Missed the classic and crucial elements to the Superman character.

Spacey was the worst Luthor of the Hackman/Spacey/Eisenberg triumvirate, think about that for a second.

The only superhero film after 2000s where the hero doesn't have abs when clothes off. That's saying something. Also seeing "Cyclops" so short standing beside Brandon Routh made me think how average built the men of the X-men franchise are.

I liked it. I usually have decent acceptance on films though.

SR is lightyears better than that fucking bullshit MoS & BvS.

I loved when Lex said "Who is this child's father?!?!"

Superman Returns was pretty mediocre but had the most epic Superman imagery I've ever seen on film.

5. Mimicking the Action Comics #1 cover (lifting the car) and Atlas (lifting the Daily Planet globe). Amazing fan service.
2md3xnd.png

23movgz.png

4. The entire rescue of the airplane.

3. Embracing the power of the sun to regain his strength.

2. Listening to the problems of the world from the outer atmosphere.

1. And the best... Plummeting to Earth after saving the planet, and the pull away shot showing him fall into Metropolis, with the distant, muted impact. It was a beautiful scene.

This movie gets far too much hate.

Last edited:
Man of Steel actually had some epic scenes as well, although I'm pretty sure we saw every second of them in the trailers.

My favorites were young Clark pushing the bus out of the water (rewound and watched that a hundred times, the music was perfection) and Clark peeling the metal door back, bathed in flame, and of course, Christ pose in the water. That looked spectacular on the big screen.

I have always thought this was a superior movie compared to man of steel

SR had the legit Superman. Whatever that shit was in MoS/BvS wasn't legit. HA! The New Adventures of Lois & Clark had a more legit Superman than the crap Snyder gave us.

There were parts of Superman Returns that were good, but overall I think Man of Steel was better. I do think the plot of Man of Steel was overly complicated and I wanted Lois Lane's character to disappear given how she happened to be everywhere at the perfect time.

Heh, the blond soldier at 10 seconds into this video? I played football with him for eight years. Dude's been in everything.

Dean Cain was my favorite super man
dean-cain-superman.jpg

Superman Returns was boring.

Man of Steel was not.

Supe needs someone to fight.

Snyder had so much classic Superman imagery in BvS, the homages were nuts. The airplane rescue scene is the only noteworthy one from SR.

Spacey was the worst Luthor of the Hackman/Spacey/Eisenberg triumvirate, think about that for a second.
no. i didn't think batman vs. superman was as bad as most, but eisenberg's luthor is a real pair of cement boots on that film. never even reminiscent of luthor, he replayed the facebook guy as a slightly bigger villain.

Snyder had so much classic Superman imagery in BvS, the homages were nuts. The airplane rescue scene is the only noteworthy one from SR.

Superman Returns literally framed two of the covers from the very first comic covers in separate scenes.

Back