Television SUPERMAN & LOIS (Discussion)

What are you an millenial in your old milf phase? "Too old. Too old to begin the training" -buddha-

Just calling 'em like I see 'em. I'm 47. Historically the CW's target audience has been women <35 (which is why I think most of their programming is crap), so definitely the wrong network if you're looking for hot 20-something women in skimpy outfits.

Just calling 'em like I see 'em. I'm 47. Historically the CW's target audience has been women <35 (which is why most of their programming is crap to me), so definitely the wrong network if you're looking for hot 20-something women in skimpy outfits.
Which is why its trash. Doesnt appeal to the younger ground or older alphas. They should have just casted Erica from smallville as lois. The current superman is a joke and i call him Superboy.

Which is why its trash. Doesnt appeal to the younger ground or older alphas. They should have just casted Erica from smallville as lois. The current superman is a joke and i call him Superboy.

I think he's doing a good job but if I had to criticize, yeah agree he comes off a little young and naive for what's supposed to be a grizzled Superman with ~20 years experience under his belt.

As far as a Superman cast goes, I think Smallville nailed it with everyone EXCEPT Durance as Lois. I mean she wasn't terrible but came off more like Penny from Big Bang Theory. IMO Tulloch plays a much better no-nonsense reporter like Lois is supposed to be and the actresses are around the same age anyway (Durance is two years older at 42).

Last edited:
I think he's doing a good job but if I had to criticize, yeah agree he comes off a little young and naive for what's supposed to be a grizzled Superman with ~20 years experience under his belt.

As far as a Superman cast goes, I think Smallville nailed it with everyone EXCEPT Durance as Lois. I mean she wasn't terrible but came off more like Penny from Big Bang Theory. IMO Tulloch plays a much better no-nonsense reporter that Lois is supposed to be and the actresses are around the same age anyway (Durance is two years older at 42).
I dont understand how you compare the lois when you stated they are supposed to be at different stages of their career. Erica definitely took her of herself then the current grandma flat lois. Erica > superboy lois

I dont understand how you compare the lois when you stated they are supposed to be at different stages of their career. Erica definitely took her of herself then the current grandma flat lois. Erica > superboy lois

Lol

Smallville wrapped 10 years ago and when it was airing live, my opinion of Erica Durance was the same as my current opinion of the guy who plays Jordan on S&L: they're not terrible and they don't ruin the show, but they're weaker in their roles than the rest of the IMO well-cast roster.

My reference to age was simply that both actresses are generally now age appropriate for what should be modern day Lois with teenage kids. If anything both are a little younger than Lois should be but I get that most people don't want to watch an IRL grandma playing Lois.

If you don't like Tulloch, that's cool and no hard feelings boss.

Last edited:
Just calling 'em like I see 'em. I'm 47. Historically the CW's target audience has been women <35 (which is why I think most of their programming is crap), so definitely the wrong network if you're looking for hot 20-something women in skimpy outfits.
My wife loves the Nancy Drew show on the CW.

I just can't get into it.

My wife loves the Nancy Drew show on the CW.

I just can't get into it.

Yeah Smallville (although that got bad toward the end) and now Superman & Lois are much better than everything else on there. I think Supernatural (which used to come on after Smallville) seemed to be well produced but I could never get into it. After Smallville wrapped they've done a lot of other DCU series but I've found them to all be terrible by comparison.

I enjoy this show, I just don't love it. It's shot better than any show currently on the CW, and although Clark is kind of skinny, dude looks awesome as Superman. There are certain things he does in fight scenes that are impressive.

I don't know why I'm not loving the show though. I can't put my finger on it.

I enjoy this show, I just don't love it. It's shot better than any show currently on the CW, and although Clark is kind of skinny, dude looks awesome as Superman. There are certain things he does in fight scenes that are impressive.

I don't know why I'm not loving the show though. I can't put my finger on it.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I do like the show but I'd like for it to explore some new angles that we don't already know about (although I can see it setting those up). Morgan Edge is the new Lionel Luthor/Lex from Smallville and they're even recycling the same Smallville schtick with manufactured super-powered dudes to rival Superman.

I'm enjoying it so far but IMO one aspect that's preventing it from being truly great is the being targeted at women/family (CW network), so all the gritty real world stuff is toned down and it's written from what seems like a woman's perspective. The military including General Lane are one-dimensional caricatures and there's a lot of plot ridiculousness around that. Lois (a civilian with no official military or government authority) just marches into a live military operation to confront her dad because he's being mean LMAO.

They're clearly going somewhere with the Lana/Kyle dynamic and him getting drunk and missing his daughter's talent show. I'm assuming Lana didn't tell him about the job offer because she's aware Morgan Edge will be doing some kind of experiments on the "leadership" candidates and she wanted to spare him. But the story arc seems to be building toward him in a villain/antagonist role.

Most interesting character so far is John Henry Irons. There's not much mystery left about Clark, Lois, et al, but he's a stranger from another dimension, driving around in a "murder van" with futuristic tech and weapons and a deluxe version of Alexa LOL. I'd assume they're setting him up to save the day in a triumphant return a la Han Solo leaving and then coming back to blast Darth Vader out of the sky in Star Wars.

Last edited:
I just watched the last two episodes of this show. Never knew about it until recently. And I'm really loving it. Just love the dynamics of his family knowing he's Superman.

It's interesting to see his kids trying to adapt to the world there in, knowing they have super powers as well. Especially the one kid who has super strength.

But yeah I'm really into this show. Definitely worth watching if you haven't seen it yet.

I thought the latest episode was fantastic. A lot happened, questions were answered, and there was an interesting turn.

Don't click the spoiler tag if you haven't seen the episode yet. Things are about to get epic.
1*irQaG5Y_F-hMcUDg1kNIbQ.jpeg

Really enjoyed this week's episode and IMO it got the series back on track.

Hate to say it but I thought the previous two episodes were pointless filler and pretty bad. They spent all that effort building up the Kryptonian invaders hosted in Morgan Edge's subjects and then Superman blasts them away like nothing. Was like the final episode of Smallville after 2 or 3 seasons building to Darkseid's arrival, only for Clark/Superman to touch him with teh flying jab and waste him in 0.1 second.

The first 8 episodes were very good - Superman & family living the small town life and then Kyle Reese aka Steele shows up from the future to save the present day from itself. Looks like they're getting back to that story arc and that's a good thing.

Last edited:
Haven't seen this week's episode, but these breaks are stupid. You get going and they take another break. I guess they're not finished the season yet.

GF and I watch the show. I think she likes it because of the family stuff and I of course want to see Superman do Superman things. It's not bad. Just not a fan of the youngest said. It's so "try hard" and he'll be happy one moment and then agro the next. Makes it really corny. Not to mention, he's a terrible actor.

Haven't seen this week's episode, but these breaks are stupid. You get going and they take another break. I guess they're not finished the season yet.

This week's episode is good - it's a return to the style of the first 8 episodes and sets up what should be a great story arc for the remaining 4 episodes in the season.

GF and I watch the show. I think she likes it because of the family stuff and I of course want to see Superman do Superman things. It's not bad. Just not a fan of the youngest said. It's so "try hard" and he'll be happy one moment and then agro the next. Makes it really corny. Not to mention, he's a terrible actor.

Agreed. The Jordan kid is pretty bad. The other actor (his real name is Jordan Elsass) does a good job playing what you'd expect Superman's kid to be like. Guess the writers wanted to subvert your expectations by throwing in a bitchy Frodo look-alike and he's the one with superpowers. That's fine if the writing and acting were good but as it is his "social anxiety disorder" just comes off contrived and stupid.

Last edited:
Back