Superfights: How many in MMA?

whimsical1

White Belt
Reaction score
Is DC v. JBJ a superfight?

What other super fights have we witnessed in MMA?

GSP v. Penn II?
Lidell v. Wanderlei? (maybe)
Fedor v. CroCop?

I can't think of many that fit the bill. Also, how do you define "super fight?" I've seen some define it as any fight between champions of different weight classes. I define it as any fight between legends in their prime.

Is Silva v. Diaz a super fight?

I still like to think that super fights are current champion vs champion fights.

Silva vs Diaz is definitely not a super fight. I wish we would stop pretending that it will even be competititve. The guy that KO'ed Vitor Belfort in the first round without even getting touched.....against Diaz?? Shin injury or not, Anderson's about three levels above Diaz.

Silva vs Diaz is definitely not a super fight. I wish we would stop pretending that it will even be competititve. The guy that KO'ed Vitor Belfort in the first round without even getting touched.....against Diaz?? Shin injury or not, Anderson's about three levels above Diaz.

Incidentally, I completely agree with your take on Silva v. Diaz. So, besides GSP v. Penn II, have there been any other real super fights in MMA?

I'd say DC vs Jones is a super fight.

Honestly, it has always been hype that determines a super fight. This fight has drawn huge attention.

If you want to add in the skill argument, both fighters are highly skilled. They have 2 of the most dominant skill sets in the sport.

And to add to all of that, the fans are very split on who they think is going to win. The fighter's records are both perfection.

This fight is a bit like Frazier/ Ali 1. Two undefeated badasses. No, Cormier isn't as established as Jones, but what he has done so far has been extremely impressive.

Incidentally, I completely agree with your take on Silva v. Diaz. So, besides GSP v. Penn II, have there been any other real super fights in MMA?

Not sure how many agree, but I would have called Henderson vs Rampage a superfight.

Saku vs Royce. Also Saku vs Rickson would of been a super super fight.

Back