Super Tight Ankle Lock Against Reverse De La Riva - Jason Scully

jaysculls

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In this video my training partner Chris Ulbricht shows a very very tight ankle lock that is very affective against people who like to play the Reverse De La Riva guard.

The ways it’s set up is easy and will catch a lot of players off guard. And the pressure at the end is very strong.

[YT]-UQ3gVTcMtA[/YT]

Hope you enjoy,
Jason Scully

Cool, but I'm guessing the back take is something you need to be very aware of.

That can definitely work (and I have been caught with it), but even if you do get there without the bottom player bringing his knee inside, he will be kicking that elbow open with his free foot. If he manages to free the foot, he is on your back. Still a legit (and strong) footlock, though.

That can definitely work (and I have been caught with it), but even if you do get there without the bottom player bringing his knee inside, he will be kicking that elbow open with his free foot. If he manages to free the foot, he is on your back. Still a legit (and strong) footlock, though.

I honestly don't see how it's easy to lock the elbow....I know I've tested it against this. Also look in the video how the leg is torqued. It almost as a twisting affect on the leg. If someone steps over into this fast I'm most likely tapping faster than I'm kicking their foot.

Oh yeah, most will tap before they have the chance to pry the elbow and free the heel, but vs. someone flexible in a competition setting, you see it happen.

Oh yeah, most will tap before they have the chance to pry the elbow and free the heel, but vs. someone flexible in a competition setting, you see it happen.

Flexible people get away with everything lol. I had Caio in a tight toe hold when I was in his z half during a comp once and he looked at me like I was wasting my time.

Most people would have tapped to the calf lock that Eddie got Royler in but Royler seems to have more flexible knees than most.

Pretty much the same as the tripod ankle lock Reilly Bodycomb shows on his Top Rock video. Cool stuff seeing it from RDLR instead of DLR.

Yeah, I had a feeling this was going to be Riley's tripod straight ankle lock before opening the thread.

Riley's new instructional has a ton of material on this sub and is a "pay what you want" download.

Just as someone else above, my original concern with this move was the apparent back exposure. But, in January at Gracie Nationals, I started to go for this move at the exact same time that my opponent tried to start a KOTD/spiral spin about 12 minutes into our match (when we were both beyond exhausted). The resulting scramble just led to a 50/50 leg lock battle. Not as disastrous as I feared.

More often than not, especially at a higher level when this doesn't work you'll end up in a scramble more than getting your back taken.

Also I've seen a little of Reilly stuff...all great content for sure. Many different people in the world doing similar things out there.

Thanks, Jason. I've been looking to footlock people in class lately.

Back