Super Sprint Triatlon

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Toqui, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Toqui

Toqui Green Belt

So long story short. I had asthma when I was a kid and I couldn't do shit because I was living in a contaminated city (Stgo, Chile).
    After I moved to Miami I stopped being a fatass, began lifting, training MMA and got in shape. Still, my cardio is shit for athletic standards. I can run 5K, with maybe a crappy 26 min time if I run at night when is not that hot and wet out there. I have very flat feet so I think that affects my cardio while running so I feel I get tired a little sooner for the effort on my feet, but I feel I'm an ok swimmer and I can ride the bike pretty well (I have strong legs).
    I feel like improving and doing a super sprint triatlon. The numbers vary, but super sprint triatlons can be about 200-yard swim, 6-mile bike and a 2-mile run. Some are heavier with 250 yard Swim, 9 mile Bike, and a 5k Run with winners ending it after about 55 minutes. Personally I'd prefer those with numbers like 12 mil bike and 2 mil run, but whatever.

Any tips on preparations? Obviously it's a lot about power this time, since the swimming and biking is done at a lot of speed. But to run a 6 min mile I tried to run 2 slow ones first, and so on. Cardiovascular activity for more than 1 hour is something else, and I don't wanna lose my muscles and my figure. How should I prepare?

2. rEdShawks

rEdShawks Brown Belt

hey i live in maimi and im doing a tri similar to that 1/4th mile swim 10 mile bike and 3 mile run, they have plenty of them going on here

3. SocraticMethod

SocraticMethod Kingmaker

I completed my first sprint tri last month. It was a 400-meter swim, 12.5-mile bike and 5K. I had never done anything like that before. There is a ton of literature on completing your first triathlon on the web and in book stores. I picked up a book by Joe Friel that had several different 12-week training plans, and altered it a bit to fit my schedule. You can find plans that for absolute beginners (which is what I used), or for sport-specific athletes who are trying triathlon for the first time (i.e, someone with just running experience, or just cycling experience).

End of story: I decided to participate in a triathlon 16 weeks out. At 12 weeks I started a very structured plan. I let the plan fall off about 7 weeks in (finals and whatnot), but I still completed the race (as did a friend who was in the same boat as me). I would have performed much better had I not had the hiccup halfway through, but my only goal was completion.

My advice: pick a specific race so you have a set date as your goal, and either find a plan you like, or use a pre-made plan to design your own. Then just do it. Let me know if you want any specifics on what I did. I'm sure there is an infinite number of ways to arrange a program, though.

Good luck.

4. rEdShawks

rEdShawks Brown Belt

you did much more preparation then me, my first i decided to do 2 weeks before, then trained my ass off those 2 weeks (dumbest thing possible:redface:) barely finished the race (finished in botom 10% and cam home with a slight injury, which would probally be much worse if i (thank god) wernt young health and fairly athletic, anyhow i never heard of someone who had hiccups during a race (or was taht ****phorical) damn im using these alot ()

5. SocraticMethod

SocraticMethod Kingmaker

I meant m.etaphorical hiccup in training, where I got off the plan. Had I tried to do this with only 2 weeks training I'd have dropped dead.

I finished at the bottom too, but I was just glad to finish. The bike actually kicked my ass, which I expected to be my strongest part. Live and learn.