PBP SUPER RIZIN: Mayweather vs. Asakura + RIZIN 38, Sat. 9/24, 11 PM EST/8 PM PT PBP Discussion Thread

Who wins in the main events of SUPER RIZIN and RIZIN 38?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What embarrassing moment is he apologizing for during Floyd fight??

Gucci!!!!! I don't know why it took the ref so long to stop it. He was telling him he was sleep like 3 times. Time for sleep for me. Good night who made it to the end.

Even if you're not a Floyd Hater, as I said it does not make much sense for them to bring Floyd in just to KO their top guys in their own back yard. Floyd could still bring notoriety and cash to Rizin by going the full distance with these guys without knocking them out.
Unless Floyd is the A-side, which he has obviously is. Weird that you discuss how the B-side would script the event in a perfect world for them but ignore that the multi-million dollar A-side is even involved in the event. That is like saying all MMA fighters are likely paid 2 million per fight because they like to have a lot of money, ignoring that WME is the A-side with more negotiating power.

Not taking a stand on whether the main event was a work, but why would RIZIN pay serious cash in order to undermine one of their own stars? It's puzzling.

Not taking a stand on whether the main event was a work, but why would RIZIN pay serious cash in order to undermine one of their own stars? It's puzzling.
getting people to talk about your events bigger than specific stars perhaps in their strategy?

getting people to talk about your events bigger than specific stars perhaps in their strategy?
Maybe. But will more people watch RIZIN just because of a one-off fight that is over and done with?

But what do I know? I was terrible at sales.

‘SuperRizin’ was a bad event. And Rizin 38 was below average (a bunch of inconsequential squash matches).

Ougikubo had nothing for his opponent. If he wasn’t on an extended win streak, I would say retirement is around the corner.

The Mayweather fight tarnished one of Rizin’s domestic stars. I know people were calling the fight a work, but I saw Mikuri’s eyes and he was out of it. ESPN called it a “drubbing,” which is an accurate description.

japanese fans don’t really care if one of their guys loses and it allows mayweather to do this every year (generating a ton of cash) without jeopardizing how he’s viewed in america

Maybe. But will more people watch RIZIN just because of a one-off fight that is over and done with?

But what do I know? I was terrible at sales.
Yeah I'm not saying it's actually a wise idea, just floating the absurd possibility.

Of course he didn't make the 10 count, he wasn't sopposed to. He looked stable, but he just stood there holding the ropes staring away while the ref waved it and he didn't even argue or anything. (after the round had already ended I think) Theres an idea that these guys quit after facing any adversity? I call bs on that, even with the skill differential being as big as it was.

Obviously, Floyd is a better boxer and would have won anyways. But I believe there's a concerted effort to make a show out of him here and this bad acting job was the latest episode.
I don't think there was a fix, he was really trying to take Floyd's head off right before that. Floyd got tagged a few times and was semi rocked and that pissed Floyd off. Floyd connected solid shots before that knockdown, he was already hurt and rocked before getting dropped. Floyd knocked the smile off his face. He could've made the 10 count but he would have to fight a pissed off Floyd who turned it up and is being serious now. Mentally he decided to quit right there instead of getting completely flat lined. A lot of fighters mentally quit once they realize the skill gap difference between them. This was an easy choice for him because he got dropped. He saw a way out of the fight and took it.

Just look at Floyd's bodyguard fight too, the juice head turkey got knocked out. Floyd and his bodyguard underestimated them a bit. Floyd's bodyguard got knocked out because of it even with the weight/size advantage, and Floyd got hit with some shots and rocked a little bit because of it. It's easy to see when people are really trying to knock each other's head off compared to when fighters are pulling punches. No one was pulling punches in this fight and all their reactions were natural. Floyd got rocked and got pissed off. He had to smile it off him getting tagged but he was mad, you can see it in how his body language changed after he recovered. He turned it up and started fighting completely different.

Back