News Super Prospect BO NICKAL has first MMA fight next Friday

You're trying to mock my intelligence but obviously everyone here has found yours rather lacking so...chill...

The average age of ranked UFC fighters is itself around 33-34 so the fact that most ranked fighters have been around as long as Usman and Colby who are 33 and 34 is not surprising.

Which is really just part of your stupidity. You'll take like a 28 year old guy with a handful of losses and be like "oh he's a bust" well, he's about 5 years from the time where fighters normally enter the rankings. The generation that should be in the rankings is the generation that I just listed.
you’re literally just making shit up. generations aren’t static. it’s not like every fighter debuts at 26 years old and we wait until they turn 34 for a new group of contenders to emerge. ed ruth is literally retired and pico/jenkins/fortune likely will be retired within the next 5 or 6 years as well. fighters are constantly coming into MMA and emerging. either answer the incredibly simple question or stop quoting me lmao

you’re literally just making shit up. generations aren’t static. it’s not like every fighter debuts at 26 years old and we wait until they turn 34 for a new group of contenders to emerge. ed ruth is literally retired and pico/jenkins/fortune likely will be retired within the next 5 or 6 years as well. fighters are constantly coming into MMA and emerging. either answer the incredibly simple question or stop quoting me lmao
I did answer your question. I answered your question with a long list of names. Now generations aren't static but you're an idiot to suggest that "oh so and so is a bust" because they lost one fight. And then you have your pet examples like "oh ed ruth!" You named one person. I named a long list of people in the rankings. They each answer your question, which is in itself a stupid question because comparable fighters are in their prime. The question is both answered and misguided. You have no actual argument. All you have a "this one anecdote of this fighter losing." It's incredibly stupid. I don't know how you write something like that and take yourself seriously. "Tyrell Fortune is a bust." Ok. Then how is not every fighter who has a single loss a bust? Because do you know how many undefeated fighters there are in the UFC rankings? Askar Askarov, Movsar Evloev, and Ciryl Gane, those are the only ones that I can think of. It's an absurd premise. You hold absolutely no other fighters to the same standard.

And that's what makes your argument so inherently hypocritical. Fighters lose, good fighters lose, that's a part of the game. There are fighters in their prime at the top of the UFC like the guys I named. Then there are younger guys who are working their way up either in the rankings or on the regional scene or otherwise. And some of them have losses. But that is fine. That is normal. Because fighters from all disciplines take losses. How stupid would you be if you wrote out Andre Muniz or Giga Chikadze or Rafael Fiziev or Brad Riddell back in time just because they had some loss or some losses early on in their career. Like do you not realize what a double standard you're trying to hold?

There are plenty of fighters with the NCAA background in the UFC. As I proved by listing. It's hilarious because your little anecdote mind wanted one example because that's all your can process. When I answered with a list your mind was overwhelmed. You tried zoning in on one or two anecdotes. Sorry, there are too many data points. Just because I answered your question too well doesn't mean it wasn't answered. The fact that some of them are younger or older than you think they should be does not matter. It absolutely does not matter. And as a matter of fact, many of the people I noted who I named did debut after your arbitrary cutoff of Colby and Usman. But the list was too long so you couldn't process them. Which also are two different cutoffs by the why so that doesn't lend itself to continuity either. Each of your premises are flawed. Each of your questions are flawed. And you keep barking "answer me this one question!" that has already been answered. What a joke. Hilarious.

who is the last american wrestling prospect in MMA to even get ranked? colby or usman 7 years ago?
I think you're right. I can't think of one that debuted after 2012 that's been a top fighter.

Besides the ones already mentioned in this thread I can think of a few more that were highly touted but haven't gone far:

Jarod Trice (three-time All-American) - 4-0 record but two split decisions and a majority decision against absolute cans. Seems to have given up and hasn't fought since 2018.

Chris Honeycutt (two-time All-American) - Decent fighter but that's about it. Was cut from Bellator.

Kyle Crutchmer (two-time All-American): Doing alright in Bellator but has a big loss to an average fighter.

I think a couple that Bellator has been trying to build up lost the other night too.

I think you're right. I can't think of one that debuted after 2012 that's been a top fighter.

Besides the ones already mentioned in this thread I can think of a few more that were highly touted but haven't gone far:

Jarod Trice (three-time All-American) - 4-0 record but two split decisions and a majority decision against absolute cans. Seems to have given up and hasn't fought since 2018.

Chris Honeycutt (two-time All-American) - Decent fighter but that's about it. Was cut from Bellator.

Kyle Crutchmer (two-time All-American): Doing alright in Bellator but has a big loss to an average fighter.

I think a couple that Bellator has been trying to build up lost the other night too.
nope-no.gif

they can call me a dumbass or get mad all they want, but i know what i’m talking about. russian wrestlers/sambo guys are the new hypetrain prospects, not americans. it’s just not as viable of a base to build on anymore.

I was just talking about UFC fighters. If you want to include Bellator fighters...do your due diligence before you speak right?

In Bellator (same criteria) the ranked former college wrestling fighters are: Raufeon Stots. Darrion Caldwell. AJ McKee. (HM: Aaron Pico). Justin Gonzales. Logan Storley. Joey Davis. Austin Vanderford. Johnny Eblen. Romero Cotton. Dalton Rosta. Ryan Bader. Corey Anderson. Phil Davis. Rumble Johnson. Julius Anglickas. (HM: Alex Polizzi). Ryan Bader. Tyrell Fortune. Davion Franklin. And "Jake Hager."

And because Bellator develops their prospects organically, rather than the UFC which picks prospects up, most of these guys are pretty young.

Last edited:
I was just talking about UFC fighters. If you want to include Bellator fighters...do your due diligence before you speak right?

In Bellator (same criteria) the ranked former college wrestling fighters are: Raufeon Stots. Darrion Caldwell. AJ McKee. (HM: Aaron Pico). Justin Gonzales. Logan Storley. Joey Davis. Austin Vanderford. Johnny Eblen. Romero Cotton. Dalton Rosta. Ryan Bader. Corey Anderson. Phil Davis. Rumble Johnson. Julius Anglickas. (HM: Alex Polizzi). Ryan Bader. Tyrell Fortune. Davion Franklin. And "Jake Hager."

And because Bellator develops their prospects organically, rather than the UFC which picks prospects up, most of these guys are pretty young.
read his post again. ryan bader has been fighting since like 2005.

It's kinda weird that you fixated on Pico as your prime example of a wrestler failing in MMA since it's clear that you haven't ever watched Pico fight. He is more a striker besides his last bout
Was kinda thinking the same thing. Kinda a bad example. Pico was obviously most talented as a wrestler prior to MMA, at least as far as accolades go, but also had won boxing tourneys as well as Pankration tourneys, so wasn't exactly solely a wrestler when he came into MMA. He was already very well rounded, which I recall being the main reason Bellator was hyping him so much.

how many newer NCAA wrestlers need to get embarrassed in MMA before we stop pretending it’s good enough anymore?

you need way more than a wrestling base to be successful now. ncaa background was great in 1997, not so much in 2021.
Lol. That's dumb. Of course most fighters don't turn out champions, that's the nature of competition. Still being a great wrestler is a great base.

Look at you fixating on individual names again haha. The list is again overwhelming so try to key in on one or two examples you can comprehend...<Lmaoo>
what percentage of those fighters debuted after 2012 like he stated? raufeon stots is a great example of a recent collegiate wrestler who turned into a solid MMA fighter, he looks promising and i forgot him. hasn't beaten anyone great yet but he doesn't have any embarrassing losses either. of course, you fuck yourself out of being taken seriously when you name a bunch of older guys that i already acknowledged were promising prospects back when being a high-level collegiate wrestler was impressive.

also, i'm not going on bellator rankings or UFC rankings. I'm talking world rankings, based on media consensus. the rest of the guys you named outside of older MMA fighters or raufeon stots are nobodies.

Lol. That's dumb. Of course most fighters don't turn out champions, that's the nature of competition. Still being a great wrestlers is a great base.
wrestling is a great skill to have and a great base to build on. do you get enough of that skill from a collegiate career in american wrestling? not really.

wrestling is a great skill to have and a great base to build on. do you get enough of that skill from a collegiate career in american wrestling? not really.
Lol. So you are saying someone training wrestling from 8, 9to 24 didn't get enough of that skill?

Lol. So you are saying someone training wrestling from 8, 9to 24 didn't get enough of that skill?
not as much as the other prospects like AJ McKee who were training that, as well as all other aspects of MMA.

what percentage of those fighters debuted after 2012 like he stated? raufeon stots is a great example of a recent collegiate wrestler who turned into a solid MMA fighter, he looks promising and i forgot him. hasn't beaten anyone great yet but he doesn't have any embarrassing losses either. of course, you fuck yourself out of being taken seriously when you name a bunch of older guys that i already acknowledged were promising prospects back when being a high-level collegiate wrestler was impressive.

also, i'm not going on bellator rankings or UFC rankings. I'm talking world rankings, based on media consensus. the rest of the guys you named outside of older MMA fighters or raufeon stots are nobodies.
At this point you're just exposing your ignorance on Bellator. And if you don't like Bellator that's fine, it's tehMoose and GueseGuy's job to judge you for that, not mine. But to pretend that "Raufeon Stots hasn't fought anyone great yet", when he beat the guy who beat Petr Yan, and others on that list haven't either is ridiculous. Also I find it hilarious that again you fixate on individual names. Very cute.

There's no such thing as "world consensus" or "media consensus", we are either talking Bellator or we are talking the UFC. UFC fighters do not fight Bellator fighters and vise versa. No matter how great a Bellator fighter can be, they can never be UFC champion. So when the person you were talking to was naming fighters like Trice and Crutchmer, they cannot win the UFC title as Bellator fighters so it is and would be pointless to discuss them unless you took into account Bellator's rankings. A few different MMA magazines have MMA rankings. First of all, no one cares about those. I think one of them even showed AJ McKee, who is on my above list, as the top FW in the world. Who cares? What is that based on? He has no common opponents with the top fighters in the UFC, has not fought and is not scheduled to fight any top fighters in the UFC. Who knows or cares what John Johnson from MMA online thinks? And secondly, all the rankings are vastly different. Some magazines will place top bellator fighters in the top 10. Other journalists won't list any Bellator fighter in the top 30. And that's fine, no one cares about these rankings. Even organization internal rankings have their flaws, but at the very least they're based on common opponents and are used to reference future fights scheduled. Random blogger's opinions, who in the world would care. I don't think even the bloggers themselves who write the magazines care.

See, previously you were using the metric "date entered rankings". No one keeps that, so you were kinda secure. But now that you accept debut date as a proxy...now I can actually give you data. 16/21 of the listed fighters made their professional debut in 2013 or later. Which is 76%. Which is what I'm talking about both with your complete ignorance of Bellator, if you knew Bellator fighters or cared to know you'd see the list and realize they were mostly pretty young fighters. And I can list those again below. Raufeon Stots. AJ McKee. Aaron Pico. Justin Gonzales. Logan Storley. Joey Davis. Austin Vanderford. Johnny Eblen. Romero Cotton. Dalton Rosta. Corey Anderson. Julius Anglickas. Alex Polizzi. Tyrell Fortune. Davion Franklin. Jake Hager.

Also, now that you introduced debut date as an acceptable reference statistic, here's a counterargument to show why your argument is flawed. Israel Adesanya made his MMA debut in 2012. The same year Kamaru Usman made his debut, in fact Adesanya debuted 8 months before Usman. No top MMA fighter from Glory/K1 has debuted since either. So by some twisted logic like you have, we could say "well kickboxing USED TO be a viable base in the days of Cro Cop, Mark Hunt, Overeem, but no one has been able to come from kickboxing since Adesanya so kickboxing clearly isn't a viable base anymore.

Now this argument is facially ridiculous. Why? Well firstly is the ridiculous standard that you apply. If a fighter has a single loss they can be written off. Really, what you said was "embarrassing loss" so it's entirely subjective, it's a feeling more than logic. But if you were to have a consistent standard, or pretend to, and not just a subjective feeling, you'd be able to write any fighter off for a single loss. And that's facially ridiculous. What about Giga Chikadze? He has lost 2 fights. They were not good losses. Is he not a prospect? To the contrary, many people actually feel that he could be a prospect and could win some big fights in the UFC. Alex Pereira is making his UFC debut in November, he lost his MMA debut fight to a nobody. Can we write him off already?

Now legitimately, big name kickboxers have not done well in MMA recently, recently being since 2012. Joe Schilling (Glory Tournament champ) was recently 3-3 in Bellator. Gabriel Varga (Glory Champ) lost his 2nd MMA fight and quit MMA. Alex Pereira (Glory Champ) lost his MMA debut. Gokhan Saki was brutally knocked out by Khalil Rountree and quit MMA after that. Ben Edwards (K1 Champ) lost his PFL fight in 2019. Hisaki Kato (K1 Contender) was released from Bellator with an 8-3 record after losing to Chidi Njokuani. Robin Van Roosmalen missed weight in his final fight and then got into a car accident so he probably will never fight again as well. Even Giga Chikadze had 2 losses at the outset of his career. And other examples like Makhmud Muradov was a highly touted kickboxer, he was choked out by Gerald Meershaert in his last fight as a -600 favorite. Qiu JianLiang, Glory of Heroes Kickboxing champ, lost his MMA debut and quit in the GOH MMA scene. Melsik Baghdasaryan (K1 title contender), is in the UFC now but was choked out in his MMA debut. Yuta Kubo, former K1 Champ, was beaten by a Japanese freestyle wrestler nonetheless, in his MMA debut. etc. So could we make the argument that "well all of these famous kicboxers already faced setbacks and many straight up quit MMA. Kickboxing must not be a good base for MMA anymore?"

Obviously it's false, but why? Because all the names I listed above, about a dozen. That's an incredibly small sample size, almost anecdotal. Kickboxing is a great base for MMA striking, but the best MMA strikers are not necessarily the best kickboxers. Hundreds of fighters with a kickboxing base transition to MMA every year. Maybe one or two kickboxing champions or elite professionals transitions to MMA every year. I wrote this in the Gable Steveson thread "I am supportive of Gable and Bo, and I believe in them, but if I had to pick between Gable and the field, or Bo and the field, for the UFC MW/HW champion in X years from a wrestling background, I always pick the field." Between picking "champions" with high pedigree, and picking the field, always pick the field.

With a tiny sample size basically anything can happen. A fighter can have injuries, lose interest, be poorly coached, have bad matchups, etc. Over the large sample size, dozens if not hundreds, of fighters that transition from any given background in a given year, there will be a few who have good health, sustained interest, solid coaching, good matchups, etc. Max Holloway, for example, never had a significant pro kickboxing background. Undisputably one of the best strikers in MMA.

So the argument that "well this small handful of highly touted fighters didn't make it so no one is making it" is a very bad argument. AJ McKee, former D2 and community college wrestler. He doesn't have the most touted wrestling background. But he's arguably Bellator's top P4P fighter right now, for whatever that is worth. Raufeon Stots was a D2 champ, but came into MMA with significantly less fanfare, now he is next in line for the title shot at BW. Austin Vanderford wrestled D2 as well, he is the next fighter who will contend for the belt against Gegard Mousasi, after being then top 5 fighter Fabian Edwards. The list goes on. Sometimes a belt winner is a highly touted guy, but more often than not the field wins.

I don't know who the next big name is, who the next AJ McKee will be. It could be Tom Pagliarulo. It could be Ryan Kuse. It could be Daniel Argueta. It could be Christian Natividad. It could be Nick Maximov. Or it could be some more credentialed wrestler like Bo or Gable. I'm happy with any of the above outcomes. I both don't know and don't care to know who it will be, until the time comes. But it will be somebody. As to Russian wrestling prospects, you talk about them but I guarantee you that I know both more Russian wrestling prospects and more about them. I don't see us as being in competition. I'm glad if a wrestler holds the belt no matter what nationality he is from.

Moreover, I follow Russian wrestlers on the Russian regional MMA scene very closely as well. Now in the world of freestyle wrestling, Russia is clearly the #1 country, and the US is #2. So it stands to reason that the proportion of Russian wrestling champions should be larger than that of Americans. But the reality is that they're all transitioning from wrestling. MMA wrestling is different from freestyle or folkstyle. Some Americans transition well, some Russians transition well, but I've seen my fair share of both go poorly as well. A classic example is actually just this past contender series. A russian wrestler, Nasrudin Nasrudinov was favored against a brazilian Jailton Almeida, basically only because he was Russian. And Jailton won against him by outwrestling him. Before that fight, me and Hellowhosthat both sounded the alarm about Nasrudinov's wrestling, because he has good open mat freestyle mechanics but really seemed to struggle to incorporate the cage into his wrestling. And he is still a good case, because he went 9-0 in the Russian scene in the first place, which is how he got on contender series. So there are and will be good CIS area wrestlers, and there should be. But they're fundamentally no different from American wrestlers, they have to make the same transition, and some succeed and many more fall through the cracks in the regional scene. Many sambo world champions or former russian freestyle wrestlers haven't even made it out of the Russian regional scene, much less to the big stage. Which is fine, it is expected. But one isn't viable and the other not viable, both are amazing backgrounds to have.

okay there’s no fucking way on earth i’m reading all that. you can have this one bro <Lmaoo>

not as much as the other prospects like AJ McKee who were training that, as well as all other aspects of MMA.
A lot of fighters do what I call dabbling in their childhood years. They wrestle but they also hit pads, or they wrestle but they also go to jiu jitsu classes. To be frank, by the time a kid is 18 they are good at nothing. They have no specialty.

It's no different from normal academic college. High schoolers learn a bit of everything, maybe they take AP Biology, or AP Computer Science, AP Chemistry. But the reality is that they suck at coding, and they suck at biology, and they suck at AP Chem, because you can really only cover the intro college classes in high school, and these are for smart kids in AP classes, not normal kids in regular bio, chem. Every so often you have like a Terrence Tao who is a prodigy and is professional level by a young age. But even then they usually only have skill in one subject. Basically my entire friends circle is engineers and computer scientists and the consensus is that no high schooler could go from AP CS to immediately working as a Computer Scientist/Electric Engineer at a big tech company.

Some kids grow up hitting pads and doing jiu jitsu in addition to wrestling. But realistically, they both suck at striking and suck at jiu jitsu, and prior to college, suck at wrestling as well. AJ McKee has learned far more in the past 8 years of training MMA than he did in 18 years of dabbling around with different skillsets. McKee actually lost his second every Amateur fight to a nobody, a Christian Espinosa. He actually got knoccked out in 8 seconds. So coming out of college, McKee was not even a good, much less an elite MMA fighter. The vast majority of his skills he learned after finishing college wrestling. Not before.

Which is why Bellator took his career so slowly. People criticize Bellator for organizing too many "can crushing" fights. But fighters, like McKee, needed these fights to grow and develop his skills. They need ring time and experience. And with enough of it they can develop the skills that they were missing and become good fighters.

Wrestling is a pretty good base to start with. I remember when I first started BJJ. It wasn't very long until I could hang with much higher level belts just because I was hard as heck to sweep. They used to call me bull because I was strong and hard to move. I wasn't great off my back but was a monster on top. I only wrestled in JUCO too.

A lot of fighters do what I call dabbling in their childhood years. They wrestle but they also hit pads, or they wrestle but they also go to jiu jitsu classes. To be frank, by the time a kid is 18 they are good at nothing. They have no specialty.
Both are the wrong approach. MMA is becoming its own thing. It's not about being a specialist OR a jack of all trades anymore, it's about synergy. Chaining everything together. Combat sambo is the closest thing to that and that's why we're seeing so many dominant fighters from Russia right now.

Both are the wrong approach. MMA is becoming its own thing. It's not about being a specialist OR a jack of all trades anymore, it's about synergy. Chaining everything together. Combat sambo is the closest thing to that and that's why we're seeing so many dominant fighters from Russia right now.
Personally, this is just my opinion but I tend to disagree, respectfully. I think firstly, the design of sambo itself is heavily wrestling centric. You're only awarded points for wrestling, really, also some for knockdowns. You can win via knockout or submission, but the point system discourages it as it's not a reliable method of scoring.

An unsung reality is that many sambo champions have done very poorly in the Russian regional scene. Particularly, early on in their careers, fighters transitioning from sambo get submitted a lot. While sambo can be a sort of catch all discipline, striking based sambists also have notably more difficult transitions to MMA than wrestling based ones. Not to read too much into one example, but an illustration would be Makhmud Muradov, who went 4-4 in his first 8 fights, getting submitted 3 times. And recently was submitted by Meerschaert. And still, in the UFC I think we've only had 2 Russian champs, and Yan came from boxing? I say this as someone who cheers rabidly for Russian sambists, that's not quite the takeaway I have. But I am also biased I'm sure.

I agree that those who synergize MMA together, or chain it together so to speak, are the best. But as far as, having a base or starting in MMA. I've been hearing for years now about how the next generation of fighters won't have come from kickboxing, wrestling, jiu jitsu (or even like football, army, etc), but from "MMA." I'll believe it when I see it. There are valid arguments for and against so it really just comes down to the practical reality. I think Brandon Moreno may be the first ever UFC champion who had the "ideal background" where he started in an MMA gym from a young age. This is just an impression, but my hunch is that it's been much more common that a fighter came in with a base and then became good at the other aspects of MMA, rather than a fighter came in with about the same amount of skill in every discipline and was able to be successful.

Personally, this is just my opinion but I tend to disagree, respectfully. I think firstly, the design of sambo itself is heavily wrestling centric. You're only awarded points for wrestling, really, also some for knockdowns. You can win via knockout or submission, but the point system discourages it as it's not a reliable method of scoring.

An unsung reality is that many sambo champions have done very poorly in the Russian regional scene. Particularly, early on in their careers, fighters transitioning from sambo get submitted a lot. While sambo can be a sort of catch all discipline, striking based sambists also have notably more difficult transitions to MMA than wrestling based ones. Not to read too much into one example, but an illustration would be Makhmud Muradov, who went 4-4 in his first 8 fights, getting submitted 3 times. And recently was submitted by Meerschaert. And still, in the UFC I think we've only had 2 Russian champs, and Yan came from boxing? I say this as someone who cheers rabidly for Russian sambists, that's not quite the takeaway I have. But I am also biased I'm sure.

I agree that those who synergize MMA together, or chain it together so to speak, are the best. But as far as, having a base or starting in MMA. I've been hearing for years now about how the next generation of fighters won't have come from kickboxing, wrestling, jiu jitsu (or even like football, army, etc), but from "MMA." I'll believe it when I see it. There are valid arguments for and against so it really just comes down to the practical reality. I think Brandon Moreno may be the first ever UFC champion who had the "ideal background" where he started in an MMA gym from a young age. This is just an impression, but my hunch is that it's been much more common that a fighter came in with a base and then became good at the other aspects of MMA, rather than a fighter came in with about the same amount of skill in every discipline and was able to be successful.
It will take a long time for that to become common simply because most trainers in the sport are specialists themselves and will train fighters the way they know best. If Duke Roufus starts training a 12 year old kid, the kid will grow up to be more of a striker than an all-around MMA fighter. More trainers will come along and things will gradually change, but it will still take a long time.

Back