Super or regular WBA champion

Pro**

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the difference between super and regular WBA world titles? Do WBC or IBF have super and regular champions?

Well do you mean like "Super Middleweight"
it just a weight class, for example, middleweight has a 160 pound restriction, super middleweight is a 168 pound restriction.

I know what super middleweight means! I mean, for example, WBA super world welterweight champion not WBA super welterweight champion. There is a difference.

Pro's talking about that bs with the WBA making Felix Sturm the "Super" Middle Weight champion.
It's not "super middle".... he's the WBA's Super..... Middle Weight Champion.
So now there's the distinction between the Super M/W champ and the Regular M/W champ. It's fucking crazy.

The WBA made Sturm the "Super" version of the WBA belt.... vacating the "regular" version of the WBA belt. So now Gennady Golovkin can hopefully meet up with Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam (if N'J beats Khurtsidze).

Good question, Pro.....

I know what super middleweight means! I mean, for example, WBA super world welterweight champion not WBA super welterweight champion. There is a difference.

Jeez
don't get touchy
I'm pretty sure the prefix "super" is tagged on so that "a unified fighter has an additional 6 months to make a mandatory title defense", it's purpose is to basically allow these alphabet organizations to collect some more sanctioning fees, all in all, it's a load of boxing politics and bullshit.

Just to clarify things.

WBA middleweight - 160 pounds
WBA 'super world' middleweight - 160 pounds

WBA super middle weight - 168 pounds

the difference is the WBA can get more $$ in sanctioning fees by having two champs. You fight for the title you pay the sanctioning fees. You have two champs you have double the sanctioning fees. It is a money grab, nothing more.

And the WBC doesn't have 'super' champions for unionified champs, but they do have their 'diamond' championships which go to winners of major fights at catchweights. I think Cotto/Pacquiao was the only one they had so far.

Cotto and Pac were fighting for the wba or wbo title and the wbc wasn't involved...but they wanted to be, so they made up some bullshit title and somehow convinced the fighters to give a % of their purse for the sanctioning fee (in addition to the one they were already paying for the actual title they were fighting for).

They also have 'silver' titles which is what they've done for #1 contender fights or just whenever they want to give a guy a belt even though he isn't fighting for a title. I think Morales and Canelo have wbc silver titles.

For the Marquez/Vazquez 4 fight, Vazquez refused to pay the sanctioning fee for the wbc silver title cause it was worthless and he wanted to keep as much $ as possible from his last big fight. The head of the wbc Jose Suliamon got all pissed off at him since he was the wbc champ for a long time previously and claimed it was a slap in the face to the organization that had 'supported' him for all those years they were charging him to be their champ.

Again, check out the articles I linked on badlefthook.com they're real good an explain some of the bullshit that goes on with sanctioning bodies.

Business of Boxing - Bad Left Hook - For Boxing Fans

In this case, and maybe I'm wrong with this..... I think this whole 'Super' Middleweight for the WBA was simply to allow Felix from having to fight the relatively unknown and dangerous Gennady Golovkin.

And the WBC doesn't have 'super' champions for unionified champs, but they do have their 'diamond' championships which go to winners of major fights at catchweights. I think Cotto/Pacquiao was the only one they had so far.

Cotto and Pac were fighting for the wba or wbo title and the wbc wasn't involved...but they wanted to be, so they made up some bullshit title and somehow convinced the fighters to give a % of their purse for the sanctioning fee (in addition to the one they were already paying for the actual title they were fighting for).

They also have 'silver' titles which is what they've done for #1 contender fights or just whenever they want to give a guy a belt even though he isn't fighting for a title. I think Morales and Canelo have wbc silver titles.

For the Marquez/Vazquez 4 fight, Vazquez refused to pay the sanctioning fee for the wbc silver title cause it was worthless and he wanted to keep as much $ as possible from his last big fight. The head of the wbc Jose Suliamon got all pissed off at him since he was the wbc champ for a long time previously and claimed it was a slap in the face to the organization that had 'supported' him for all those years they were charging him to be their champ.

Again, check out the articles I linked on badlefthook.com they're real good an explain some of the bullshit that goes on with sanctioning bodies.

Business of Boxing - Bad Left Hook - For Boxing Fans

WBC have the same sort of thing as super champ but they call it "Champion Emeritus". Vitali Klitchsko and Kostya Tszyu were both bestowed that title.

That's different. That's when the champion didn't lose but he's gonna be out for a significant period.

They gave the same thing to Izrael Vazquez after the third Marquez fight when he was out for a while with the eye injury.

No it is not. Vitali Klitchsko retired and was named champion emeritus, when he came back he got an immediate title shot.

Tszyu was not injured and was an active fighter when he was name champion emeritus.

Erik Morales is another example, active fighter who was name champion emeritus.

They made Kessler champion emeritus even though he never defended the belt, that way they can put the title on the line and get more sanctioning fees whilst he is out.

It is not made specifically for people who are going to be out of action for a long period.

A Super Champion is better then a regular champion but not as good as a Super-Duper champion. A Mega Champion beats a Super-Duper champion. But the pinnacle is an Ultimate Champion (though its a different sport altogether).

I think a Straight Flush takes all though.

more bs from the sanctioning bodies its why the ring belt gets more respect

Just ignore all of it, you can't make sense of it even if you tried.

I'm not sure who even cares about these titles, boxing fans don't so then it must be for the casuals but you can sell them anything so these titles only serve to make the sport look stupid.

Just ignore all of it, you can't make sense of it even if you tried.

I'm not sure who even cares about these titles, boxing fans don't so then it must be for the casuals but you can sell them anything so these titles only serve to make the sport look stupid.

unfortunately casuals and the media do

Back