"Super Friends" versus White

That comment is just as crazy as anything Dana's been saying.

Ken Shamrock created the first MMA team, the Lion's Den, and he used to literally house fighters and train them. Supposedly, the only pay that Shamrock took from them was a percentage to keep the gym open, not to make a huge personal profit.

At one point, the UFC & Pancrase were filled with Lion's Den fighters.

As for the UFC, of course Dana & the Fertittas get major props.

But don't forget, they were doing SHIT PPV numbers when they first bought the thing. Horrible numbers.

Shamrock v Tito 1 is the first time Zuffa did big numbers. Shamrock gave the UFC a ton of promotion because he was a very popular figure.

This, good post.

Tito, Ken and all those guys are has beens trying to refuse to give up the spotlight. UFC made millions with them but they made millions with the UFC too. they have nothing to bitch about. should have safed the money instead of surrounding themselves with unnecesary luxury thinking that would last forever.

Well I don't think any of us know the truth but I will say this: I believe Dana built this sport as much out of a love for the sport as about building his own business. I believe he's truly a fan and wants the UFC to be the best it can possibly be. I've seen him turn down big money matchups that would've helped the UFC's bottom line but he didn't make those matches to preserve the integrity and safety of the sport. Imagine how bad Chuck would be slurring his words if a scumbag promoter all about the $$$ was willing to make matches with him (that would've still sold) until he was a vegetable.

Ken was never about building the sport. He's a prize fighter, and I think he's a little bitter about how much he made when he was big and how much the biggest draws make now. I think he was (and I'm not saying this is wrong) all about getting himself paid and I think some of those decisions (like how he conducted himself with the UFC, suing them) bit him in the ass. You can't sue your employer and expect them to kowtow to you a decade + later.

Without Ken, the sport would be about where it is today. Without Dana? Not the same, not even close. The respect between these two should be flowing mainly from Ken to Dana, not vice-versa, regardless of who was in the game first.

Can't argue with that. People can hate on Dana, Ken, Randy, Tito etc would not have had a career without him. If they didn't exist Dana would have built up a different set of fighters and just kept moving.
Dana>>

Back