Super Fight: Marvelous Hagler vs Felix Trinidad

It's been a long time, but lets revisit it

watched it and here's my take

Round 1:
DLH lands a half hook at 2:05 that sets Tito on his back foot. This is the first significant punch landed of the fight. AT :33. DLH lands a nice combo which is opened with an exceptional right hand. Other than those two moments, this was a feeling out round. I only saw Tito land one clean punch the whole round which was a jab to the body. He got some glancing blows in but Oscar takes the first
10-9

Round 2:
DLH jabbed the hell out of Tito, but Tito evened things out with two nice hooks late.. DLH closed the last 10 seconds and landed a right that set tito on his back foot again just before the bell to take the round. If you are doing E for effort rounds, this is one that could go to tito.
20-18

Round 3:
Oscar jabbing the hell out of Tito again. Big uppercut for Oscar at the 40 second mark nullifies an earlier hook from tito. Another uppercut seconds later and a nice right just before the bell to seal the deal.
30-27

Round 4:
Tito landed some good rights in the 4th.. I’ll give him that round
39-37
Round 5:
DLH owned this round with the jab and shook tito with a hook at the :50 mark, and then landed some nice power shots in a flury right before the bell.
49-46

Round 6:
Oscar taking over
59-55

Round 7:
Another round for DLH based on the jab and the counter right. He ate a few shots, but landed 2 to one at least.
69-64

Round 8:
Big round for DLH. Tito landed his best punch of the fight late in the round, but not even close to enough to steal the round.
79-73

Round 9:
DLH opened big, remained the aggressor but got caught a few times, and then returned the favor in the last 20 seconds or so. He threw quite a few more punches than tito as well in this round.
89-82
Round 10: tito
98-92
Round 11: tito
107-102
Round 12: tito
116-112

I don't how you can give that fight to Dela, I havent watched that fight in a couple years so seeing your scorecard I decided too. The last time I watched it I had Tito winning by one. This time watching even more closely I have Tito winning 115-113. There were some rounds I scored for De la but I can see them giving it to Tito. One thing to look for in fights period is ring generalship which De la did good but there were alot of times where he was moving but not throwing and getting landed on. De La in some rounds would land more but some were pitter patter compared to the bombs Tito was throwing. Also one thing Ive always been taught when scoring a fight is break down the round in 3 parts by minutes. Give the round to who won 2 of the minutes unless someone has a superb minute that encompasses the other 2. Dela tried to steal some rounds but I think when someone is constantly throwing bombs and when your only jabbing then throw a flurry at the end that doesnt win you the round. Tito was justified winning the fight. It was unanimous even though one judge had it a draw.

Last edited:
I don't how you can give that fight to Dela, I havent watched that fight in a couple years so seeing your scorecard I decided too. The last time I watched it I had Tito winning by one. This time watching even more closely I have Tito winning 115-113. There were some rounds I scored for De la but I can see them giving it to Tito. One thing to look for in fights period is ring generalship which De la did good but there were alot of times where he was moving but not throwing and getting landed on. De La in some rounds would land more but some were pitter patter compared to the bombs Tito was throwing. Also one thing Ive always been taught when scoring a fight is break down the round in 3 parts by minutes. Give the round to who won 2 of the minutes unless someone has a superb minute that encompasses the other 2. Dela tried to steal some rounds but I think when someone is constantly throwing bombs and when your only jabbing then throw a flurry at the end that doesnt win you the round. Tito was justified winning the fight. It was unanimous even though one judge had it a draw.

The bar I was in when this fight went down booed so loud at the decision that you couldn't hear anything else. EVERYONE in the bar had Delahoya. I had it 8 / 4 if i recall, for dela Hoya, and in all the years since, I don't believe i have ever run into a person who had it for Trinidad. It wasn't the worst robbery I ever saw because Oscar decided to run the last 4 rounds, but it was deffinately suspicious.

1. 115-113 is a one round difference fyi. Your card remains the same.

2. DLH landed more punches, he threw more, and he showed better ring generalship. He made tito throw < 40 punches per round. That isn't normal for tito. He was slowing up because everytime he threw he had to eat a counter.

I can't find anyway to give tito anything more than a draw, and I really have to judge with a bias to do that.

The bar I was in when this fight went down booed so loud at the decision that you couldn't hear anything else. EVERYONE in the bar had Delahoya. I had it 8 / 4 if i recall, for dela Hoya, and in all the years since, I don't believe i have ever run into a person who had it for Trinidad. It wasn't the worst robbery I ever saw because Oscar decided to run the last 4 rounds, but it was deffinately suspicious.

Ok I can see that but how many people that were there knew what the hell they were watching. I mean theres alot of retards that will watch big fights and not know how to score it. Its like i met a guy after the Machida vs Shogun fight; All shogun did was kick, they dont do anything lol That was ridiculous i didnt know what to say. plusThe commentary was all for Oscar.

1. 115-113 is a one round difference fyi. Your card remains the same.

2. DLH landed more punches, he threw more, and he showed better ring generalship. He made tito throw < 40 punches per round. That isn't normal for tito. He was slowing up because everytime he threw he had to eat a counter.

I can't find anyway to give tito anything more than a draw, and I really have to judge with a bias to do that.

My mistake on the 115-113 remark. Now that I think about I had Tito by one point. So one of the rounds I must of given even. Almost wanted to do that with the first round, this time around.

I had Oscar 8-7. Lol everyone booed when Tito was awarded winner

Lol, this fight still stirring up controversy

But ask yourselves this, was either fighter worthy of a victory?

This fight really turned out to be the biggest disappointment, so much hype, so much money, and very rarely do we see two undefeated fighters in their prime duke it out

All it was, was two fighters who brought out the worst of each other due to their styles not blending well to showcase a classic

De La Hoya proved to the world he was a heartless running coward, and Tito proved to be a one dimensional mindless zombie

If anything, at least Tito did what he always did, and that was coming forward with no design trying to land his left hook, while De La Hoya tried his Ali impression that could have gotten him KTFO against any fighter with a decent gameplan

Coming from someone who loves both fighters, id hesitate to say truth when asked by a youngster on how the "fight of the millenium" turned out, it was one fighter fighting to survive and the other endlessly chasing a carrot stick.

2urbo, I agree..

I have always said that DLH was flat out robbed, but that I didn't care because he robbed the fans by running for the last 3 rounds.

Hagler hands down. I think it would have been similar to the Hopkins-Trinidad fight. I actually think Hagler-Hopkins would be a better match up since both of them ruled the Middleweight division for so long.

Hagler hands down. I think it would have been similar to the Hopkins-Trinidad fight. I actually think Hagler-Hopkins would be a better match up since both of them ruled the Middleweight division for so long.

That's a fair assessment.

I'd have my money on Hagler over Tito.

Obviously no one really knows but has anybody stood toe to toe and banged with Tito not been ko'd by Tito. The answer is no. To think Hagler would run through a guy that was 34-0 with 30 ko's assuming a little to much to me. His losses were to b-hop( used the hit and run tactic with great defense) Winky( a hard fight for anyone and bad for Titos style) Roy jones(to big and too fast).

Its not assuming a little too much at all. Mugabi and Hearns unloaded fucking bombs on him to no avail. Natural SIZE is hugely influential in boxing. Divisions are seperated by relatively small increments of poundage yet the consequences are often dire. Tito has no chance on the backfoot, no chance without his momentum, and hagler will produce this very situation. He'll walk in and bang him out... too strong, too durable, too physically imposing.

It's been a long time, but lets revisit it

watched it and here's my take

Round 1:
DLH lands a half hook at 2:05 that sets Tito on his back foot. This is the first significant punch landed of the fight. AT :33. DLH lands a nice combo which is opened with an exceptional right hand. Other than those two moments, this was a feeling out round. I only saw Tito land one clean punch the whole round which was a jab to the body. He got some glancing blows in but Oscar takes the first
10-9

Round 2:
DLH jabbed the hell out of Tito, but Tito evened things out with two nice hooks late.. DLH closed the last 10 seconds and landed a right that set tito on his back foot again just before the bell to take the round. If you are doing E for effort rounds, this is one that could go to tito.
20-18

Round 3:
Oscar jabbing the hell out of Tito again. Big uppercut for Oscar at the 40 second mark nullifies an earlier hook from tito. Another uppercut seconds later and a nice right just before the bell to seal the deal.
30-27

Round 4:
Tito landed some good rights in the 4th.. I&#8217;ll give him that round
39-37
Round 5:
DLH owned this round with the jab and shook tito with a hook at the :50 mark, and then landed some nice power shots in a flury right before the bell.
49-46

Round 6:
Oscar taking over
59-55

Round 7:
Another round for DLH based on the jab and the counter right. He ate a few shots, but landed 2 to one at least.
69-64

Round 8:
Big round for DLH. Tito landed his best punch of the fight late in the round, but not even close to enough to steal the round.
79-73

Round 9:
DLH opened big, remained the aggressor but got caught a few times, and then returned the favor in the last 20 seconds or so. He threw quite a few more punches than tito as well in this round.
89-82
Round 10: tito
98-92
Round 11: tito
107-102
Round 12: tito
116-112

you didn't have to do that but i apperciate that you did. i gave the 2nd round to tito as well as the fourth.

a 7-5 fight, isn't a blowout like many say it was. a lot of the rounds in this fight were a quantity vs quality thing. i can see where people gave tito some rounds that i didn't but it doesn't mean i agree with it.

i scored it for DLH and was in shock in how he just faded late...but looking at the fights before this one it makes sense. DLH was the king of the frontrunners.

Back