Sumo Deadlift

Endo

o hai!
Reaction score
I'm looking for any good form articles on learning how to pull with a sumo stance. Articles and videos. If you've got something, I'd appreciate it.

I'm looking for any good form articles on learning how to pull with a sumo stance. Articles and videos. If you've got something, I'd appreciate it.

Look up "mark rippetoe". He's got some GREAT videos on technique online. The thing that you have to remember about sumo deadlifts is that you have to finish the movement with your glutes. Lock it out! Great MMA movement

Look up "mark rippetoe". He's got some GREAT videos on technique online. The thing that you have to remember about sumo deadlifts is that you have to finish the movement with your glutes. Lock it out! Great MMA movement

Rippetoe teaches Sumo deadlift? I thought he was a big proponent of the conventional.

MR: Yes, you could. There are compromises on both sides that have to be appreciated before you can make an informed decision about it. I did it both ways, and I like a little bit of heel better. I understand that many people are doing sumo deadlifts right now and that might change the equation a little bit. I never did sumo. Sumo is used because it produces a more vertical back angle, and the wide stance reduces the effective length of the femur. There are mechanical differences between conventional and sumo that might favor a flat shoe. I don

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/sumo.htm, although I think you can ignore 2, 7, 9, 10.
Marunde Muscle :: Sumo Deadlifting
Sumo Deadlift
Improving the Deadlift

And some of the same basics as with conventional apply. I.e arched or nuetral lower back, tension on the bar first, don't jerk the bar but instead squeeze it off the ground. Hips shouldn't rise first, if they are trying starting with your hips higher/bring your feet in. One thing I find doesn't get mentioned nearly enough with sumo is push your knees out, lots.

Also, a quote by Rippetoe, with regards to Sumo deads:

I don't coach the lift, have never done it myself, and am therefore the wrong guy to ask.

Seems like Jimmy should actually read posts before replying to them.

I've read the first and third link in my own research, and I didn't find those overly helpful. I skimmed the second and it looked like it had some good tips, but I'll have to check it out tomorrow.

The 4th link looks extremely informative, so I'm gonna check that out first thing in the morning. Thanks for that Tosa.

I actually know a professional powerlifter/gym owner/ coach that pulls sumo. Maybe I'll hit up their gym and see if she can't give me the low-down on the lift. And/or see if there is something that may be causing the pain, or at least know what it might be.

I actually know a professional powerlifter/gym owner/ coach that pulls sumo. Maybe I'll hit up their gym and see if she can't give me the low-down on the lift. And/or see if there is something that may be causing the pain, or at least know what it might be.

Defintely do that. Getting first hand help from an experienced powerlifer with technique is the best option if at all possible.

Hmm, I like sumo, maybe it because of my bodytype. I don't even stagger my feet that wide, but sumo allowed me to lift 20 more lbs. (333 vs. 353 @ 140) I think my hips and butt are way stronger than my legs. I could barely squat 205x3. Locking out is definitely the easiest part of the lift. If I can lift the weight 4 inches, then I can dead-lift it.
Time to make some progress, I haven't lifted in a year.

If I can lift the weight 4 inches, then I can dead-lift it.

My sumo experience was quite similar. If I could get the weight moving, I would complete the lift. I deadlifted sumo exclusively until this year. It's taken a while, but I'm now lifting more with a conventional stance than I did with sumo, and I feel like my back is much stronger now that I've switched to conventional.

Always wanted to try out the sumo dead lift, the only thing is I think its funny looking the way you have to be positioned to do the variation. One day...one day.

Hmm, I like sumo, maybe it because of my bodytype. I don't even stagger my feet that wide, but sumo allowed me to lift 20 more lbs. (333 vs. 353 @ 140) I think my hips and butt are way stronger than my legs. I could barely squat 205x3. Locking out is definitely the easiest part of the lift. If I can lift the weight 4 inches, then I can dead-lift it.

My sumo experience was quite similar. If I could get the weight moving, I would complete the lift. I deadlifted sumo exclusively until this year. It's taken a while, but I'm now lifting more with a conventional stance than I did with sumo, and I feel like my back is much stronger now that I've switched to conventional.

From my understanding, sumo is harder to get off the ground than conventional, but easier to lockout. And conventional is the exact opposite; easier to get going but harder to lockout.

This link was a good read. Nothing really new, but good reminders to check my shit when I pull.

Although I will try to go with a wider stance to try to get my hips closer to the bar. And I guess next time I pull I'll try to get some footage of my lifts for review.

Same. I max out on squat only 275, but I've deadlifted(belt) 360 before.

Back