SUMO - 2020 Kyushu Basho (Nov. 8th - Nov. 22nd)

really great match between Enho and Tobizaru. good to see Enho end with a win, but this was a really rough tournament from him.

another guy i never really mentioned throughout the tournament but who had a great 15 days is Hokutofuji. really streaky performance from him, but 11 wins is really nice and he had some really strong performances.

so close for Terunofuji, that was a hell of a slam in the regulation match. great bounce back from Takakeisho in the playoff though.

so close for Terunofuji, that was a hell of a slam in the regulation match. great bounce back from Takakeisho in the playoff though.

I have a question about the rankings, Terunofuji is currently at Komusubi. In his last 3 appearances he's got 34 wins 13-2, 8-5-2, 13-2, now I assume he just moves to Sekiwake and then the criteria for 33 wins for Ozeki begin or do they include his previous wins?

Few can recognize her because it's been quite a while since her last major appearances on TV.

I have a question about the rankings, Terunofuji is currently at Komusubi. In his last 3 appearances he's got 34 wins 13-2, 8-5-2, 13-2, now I assume he just moves to Sekiwake and then the criteria for 33 wins for Ozeki begin or do they include his previous wins?

He needs to earn 33 wins at sanyaku ranks so wouldn't qualify.

Finally got caught up. Was really rooting for Terunofuji and that was a great abisetaoshi win on the final day. Can't be mad though, Takakeisho looked great this basho.

January will be interesting with Terunofuji fighting for re-promotion to Ozeki, Takakeisho possible Yokozuna bid, and the 2 current Yokozuna running low on time

Finally got caught up. Was really rooting for Terunofuji and that was a great abisetaoshi win on the final day. Can't be mad though, Takakeisho looked great this basho.

January will be interesting with Terunofuji fighting for re-promotion to Ozeki, Takakeisho possible Yokozuna bid, and the 2 current Yokozuna running low on time

I'm really impressed by Takakeisho's style. He doesn't seem to be doing anything special and he looks as athletic as a baked potato but he consistently comes out on top.

Thoughts, friends?

Hakuho did great in 2019 and in 2020 he won the March basho and got 10 wins in the next one, it's not like he's slacking.

From what I've seen in MMA and Sumo, the Japanese don't seem to be very knowledgeable about sports science. Not performing? Train more. Hurting? Train more. Don't understand something? Train more. They have a crazy work ethic and loads of mental toughness, but they burn out quick. It reminds me of Dan Gable.

Kyoji Horiguchi talking about it:

I'm really impressed by Takakeisho's style. He doesn't seem to be doing anything special and he looks as athletic as a baked potato but he consistently comes out on top.

Since tamanoumi (5' 10") died as a sitting yokozuna in 1971, there hasn't been any yokozuna billed under 180 cm.

Takakeisho will be the first yokozuna in half century to stand shorter than 5'11" and one of the shortest 2 yokozunas in televised history of Grand sumo.

Born into a rich family from ashiya city (Japanese Beverly Hills), he had everything he needs growing up, never been under socioeconomic pressures that should help develop kill switch. He doesn't look any more harmful than Bill haley.

He was, however, born with extraordinary talents to exceed in combat sports. He first took up kyokushin karate with a dream to become k-1 world champion one day. He won 2nd place at national juvenile championship in preteen division. He was very upset with BS decision in the finals and left kyokushin karate to train sumo. He quickly moved up the ladder and placed himself among the top junior wrestlers. While in high school, he maxed 450 lb in bench press, displaying level of strength most UFC fighters cannot match.

Thoughts, friends?

yeah, i think he's right that the YDC needs to change a lot of the ways they think, especially with regards to sports science and training habits like @winterbike mentioned. i think that's a need for the sumo world as a whole, and particularly something that as younger stablemasters come along will start to change but the sooner the better, frankly.

Back