SUMO - 2020 Kyushu Basho (Nov. 8th - Nov. 22nd)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Fork, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Fork 1cm

[​IMG]
    That time has rolled around again, and it's time for another sumo tournament! The sport is still affected by COVID-19 restrictions of course, with the November tournament shifting from its usual home in Fukuoka to sumo HQ in the Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo. There are still restrictions for attendance numbers this tournament, but they have been raised from 2,500 spectators per day to 5,000. As the top dogs struggle we've gotten a lot of wild tournaments where nearly anyone has a shot at the championship, and that won't be changing this time.

Let's take a look at the rankings:
    [​IMG]

Debuting Wrestler: The only wrestler making his debut in the top division this tournament will be Akua. He has been around for a while and at 30 he's no spring chicken, finally making the step up to Juryo recently and now getting the promotion to the top division. Frankly, I don't expect too much from him but these days anything can happen.

Kokonoe Stable: The lower ranks are packed with Kokonoe Stable wrestlers, with Chiyoshoma, Chiyotairyu, and Chiyonokuni. He's been struggling recently but I still believe in Chiyotairyu's power and he can do well at this rank, but it's great to see Chiyonokuni back in the top division. He's another very exciting wrestler and a bold prediction is him getting double-digit wins.

Slow and Steady: I was quite happy to see Hoshoryu end his September tournament with 8 wins, ensuring he rises up the ranks but not too high. He's very talented and if he gets the time to develop physically and technically I think he'll go very far. I think he gets a winning record with probably around 8-9 wins again.

Flying Monkey: After immediately solidifying himself as a fan-favorite and very exciting wrestler in his debut tournament in September, Tobizaru will be bringing a lot of momentum into this tournament. He's jumped way up the ranks and although that means tougher competition for the entire tournament, he's very unpredictable and competing against wrestlers who haven't matched up against him before should benefit him.

Maegashira 1: There is a very strong pair of wrestlers ranked at M1 this tournament, with both Wakatakakage and Kiribayama both coming off of impressive tournaments. A couple of strong and technical but smaller wrestlers, it's great to see them knocking on the door of the sanyaku.

Former Ozeki: I think for the first time in sumo history there are two former Ozeki ranked at Komosubi. Takayasu has struggled since losing his Ozeki rank but is coming off of two 10-5 tournaments in a row. I wouldn't expect him to regain his rank, but I think at some point he might have one last shot at a championship. For Terunofuji it's all about injuries. If he's in good shape I'd even say he's one of the front-runners for this tournament, but that's always a big "if."

Current Ozeki: It feels good to be back to three Ozeki, with Shodai making his debut at the second-highest rank. He's coming off his first yusho and has been showing a lot of improvement, particularly in his offense over the last couple years. Asanoyama will be hoping to avoid the early losses he picked up last time and Takakeisho won his first tournament two years ago in November and hasn't been able to pick up another one.

No-Kozuna: Bad news at the very top, as for the second tournament in a row both Yokozuna will be sitting out from day one. This opens the tournament up a lot which can be exciting, but it's too bad to see nobody at the sport's top rank.

----------------------------------------------

So that's about it!

Viewing Options: For highlights and matches on Youtube, I'm not sure if Kintamayama will be uploading but he's always a good place to check. NattoSumo may be uploading as well, and ndeso japan may upload NHK World highlights with English commentary.

There are a couple places to check on Twitch for live sumo and VOD's, with Karla_Sumoist and mbovosumo.

It's always great to see new people starting to follow sumo, and if you're new to the sport feel free to ask any questions you might have and check my Introduction to SUMO thread for a brief overview of the sport.

Hakke-yoi!

[​IMG]

(as usual I'll just @ everyone that has posted in recent sumo threads)
    @babycart @EL CORINTHIAN @shincheckin @rmongler @JkMMA @PurpleStorm @Asurah @Sano @josh from md @Okajima @RJ Green @winterbike @LC Shepard @Bluesbreaker @hyu244 @s_o_c_a_r @Slick_36 @Senshi @Muppettoker @argy-bargy @ChainFlow @Oshime2 @DatCutman @catchwrestle @rodgerdodger @Sapp @Apollo33 @MoreKane @BoxingMMA @dkjt @-guerilla- @ChickenBrother @INTERL0PER @what-wut @Adjaar @TheRuthlessOne @elreece @Tone C @loyalyolayal @Nameless King @GSP_37 @Kaybee @Fluffernutter @Stormtrooper85 @Jin Akutsu @AZ103 @Sumomike @listrahtes @BananaManPoo

2. Fork 1cm

1pedestrian, Asurah and MitsuyoMaeda like this.
  3. listrahtes Black Belt

Its a huge bummer that both Yokozuna have to pass this tournament but its understandable. But if I am honest that reduces my interest a lot.

The one aspect the Sumo Association will have to adress somewere in the future is a reform of how they handle injured rikishi. This cant go on like this anymore. Rikishi are way heavier nowadays and risk of serious injury is a lot higher. They need to be protected better without loosing so much rank. They dont have that many young people anymore to fill the ranks with equal quality.

Asurah, winterbike and Fork like this.
  4. Fork 1cm

plenty of videos uploaded by the NSK...

Tokitsukaze-beya (Shodai, Yutakayama):

Kise-beya (Tokushoryu, Ura):

Joint training session with a lot of top guys:

Dohyo preparation ceremony:

1pedestrian, Asurah and MitsuyoMaeda like this.
  5. Fork 1cm

definitely true. i don't know what they can do to fix the issue of injuries, but something needs to be done. maybe changes to training, maybe to the schedule between tournaments, maybe to how rikishi are demoted after sitting out... who knows, probably some combination of a lot of things.

anyway, it sucks to not have the yokozuna and that technical skill might be missing a bit in this tournament, but it should make for an entertaining, wide-open tournament.

Asurah and listrahtes like this.
  6. listrahtes Black Belt

Its really very easy to solve. Rikishi must be allowed to heal up their injuries like in other sports with less loss of rank. If you rupture a muscle or achilles tendon you NEED to heal that up or the whole career goes down the drains. They will have rikishi sitting out longer but they will have much more quality.

Asurah, Stormtrooper85 and Fork like this.
  7. Tone C Gold Belt

Thank you very much for the detailed information. Much appreciated.
    Hugs n kisses x

AZ103 and Fork like this.
  8. RJ Green Black Belt

Thanks Fork!

WAR ENHO

jefferz and Fork like this.
  9. rmongler Black Belt

In my mind the easiest fix would be for each wrestler to have a prefigured length of 'injury time' they could if they so choose borrow from each year.

Fork likes this.
  10. Stormtrooper85 Black Belt

SUMO TIME!!!! LET'S GO

Fork likes this.
  11. Stormtrooper85 Black Belt

The burying of Abi continues as usual. Thoughts and Prayers party boy

The hot topic again this Basho seems to be injuries and the pressure to compete while still healing.

I really think tradition as far as this goes needs to give way to modern sensibilities in several key areas.

1) If someone is seriously injured and cannot compete, don't punish them for it. That's absolutely ridiculous. It would greatly prolong careers if adequate recuperation time is given.

2) Do something with that damn Dohyo. Does it actually need to be that high? So many people get needlessly injured after falling off

3) Seriously, get a proper medical team. I don't need to see anyone take an injury and some inept people are trying to get these guys to walk out on their own. I can't believe any sport doesn't have a proper team on hand with a Doctor to properly assist.

AZ103 and Fork like this.
  12. Fork 1cm

another good storyline down in Juryo will be Ura's return to the paid ranks. his knee looks really, really heavily bandaged in the training video posted above, but it might have been extra protection during training. regardless, he'll always have those injuries hanging over his head unfortunately. it's great to see him work his way back up though, and he's someone to keep an eye on.

13. JacJeanFinger Brown Belt

Lower body attacks of enho and terutsuyoshi seemed no longer effective last basho. Curious to see what kind of new strategies they have come up with after scoring devastating losing streaks, arguably the first time in their careers.

tinobar likes this.
  14. listrahtes Black Belt

Also a very good idea. Or that they can set out at least one basho without loosing rank. Will be difficult for their whole up/down ranking but they could do that you only 2x / year can move up/down...etc Imo lots of good ideas.

One thing I also should not forget as many are ranting about sumo elders (myself included). Near every sport without something like elders protecting the sport have gone to shit in capitalistic supermax. Baseball, Basketball, right now soccer goes down the drains by a corrupt mafiesq leaders who only look for more and more money. American Football is f.e. just despicable. They protect rapists etc for the sake of winning games even in College.

So in a sense I respect them for protecting the integrity of the sport because if you start with making it only about more money all people will change. No respectful behaviour anymore...etc. Change can also be very bad.

So I am for reforms but small ones. F.e. the dohyo. Sorry no thats tradition. Keep it like that.

tinobar likes this.
  15. Fork 1cm

Kintamayama Day 1 highlights:

Natto:

Juryo:

16. s_o_c_a_r Orange Belt

Looks like Kotoshogiku wants to end his career as the Juryo gatekeeper, or something.
    Should have spared his body the 2 years of additional damage and retired in 2018.

Fork likes this.
  17. Stormtrooper85 Black Belt

I can't believe we're getting Terunofuji vs Asanoyama on day 2

I'm hyped for this

Fork likes this.
  18. Fork 1cm

yeah, he looked quite bad in his first Juryo match as well unfortunately.

great throws from Hoshoryu and Kotoeko in the top division.

Enho started off his match well, but Yutakayama just has his number and defended well. Terutsuyoshi also should stop going for the leg pick at the tachiai. it worked amazingly that one time, but he keeps going for it and keeps getting punished. for Tobizaru it was pretty much the same as Enho, he looked good and it's not too bad to see him lose to Okinoumi who also defended him well.

real dominant sumo from Terunofuji, Asanoyama, and Takakeisho. tougher day for Shodai but he looked like he won clearly to me as i think the top of Wakatakakage's feet touched the dohyo long before Shodai.

19. listrahtes Black Belt

I am really worried about Enho. The way he always gets punched out bending back and sometimes with a rikishi on top his knee will completely blow out at some point. I see him very close to a career ending injury.

With Mitakeumi I am interested how you all see it. Imo it continues that he is way too front heavy. Even when he won he was just not robust on the feet as soon as he had to lean forward slightly. That makes him also clumsy. Like this he will never make Ozeki.

And maybe someone can explain: Why does the audience always claps when Terutsuyoshi throws his bucket of salt? I dont get it. Ok one time fine but its an imo really played out gimmick.

But I have to confess that I just dont like something about him. Very rare with Sumo but enjoy him loosing. He joined Aoyama in that regard.

Asurah and Fork like this.
  20. Fork 1cm

yeah, day 2 was a good example of Mitakeumi's size being a problem for him.

i think gimmicks are very popular in japan (not that they aren't elsewhere as well) and in a sport where individuality and "characer" is in short supply and not really encouraged, fans love to see it. Takamisakari's pre-match antics are another example, although he was a character all around.

Hoshoryu with the beautiful uchigake. it was great to see him pull in Yutakayama in order to get his leg to hook inside, really great technique. and Kotoeko holding it down for the little guys too. unfortunately Enho continues to struggle. think his leap at the tachiai was too vertical and he came up short with the mawashi grip and Kaisei just swatted him away with one hand.

Takakeisho and Shodai looked very solid on day 2, but Terunofuji dominating Asanoyama like that was more impressive. Asanoyama is a strong guy but he can't go power vs. power against Terunofuji, especially early on in the tournament.

listrahtes likes this.