SUMO - 2020 Aki Basho (Sept. 13th - Sept. 27th)

One thing thats on my mind since I restarted watching Sumo again this year:

Mitakeumi is too heavy now regarding his fighting style. He has lost too much of his mobility. And most of it is in his enormous belly. He is 1.79m with exactly the same weight as 1.85m Shodai and 1.91m Terunofuji and its showing. He lacks speed he had when starting his career.

To get in track for Ozeki (which I think he is capable of) He should loose close to 5-10kg and donate them to Enhou :D But I am serious its very obvious and I do wonder why his coaches dont advise like that.

And wow with Hokutofujis fly through the air. 160kg. I thought for a moment he would land directly on the judge and flat rolling him. Think about that propelled mass coming down on you. :eek:

That's a serious fall no matter your size, goddamn. He's going to have a bruised butt for sure.

wow, this tournament is all over the place. Terunofuji looking fantastic against Shodai, and Asanoyama staying nice and patient against Hokutofuji but finishing him off with authority.

fantastic start to the tournament for Tobizaru though, and good to see Onosho doing well too. i always thought of him and Takakeisho as pretty similar but that Onosho had a brighter future. wrong.

and Enho.... i think he's a top division wrestler and even an upper maegashira wrestler, but he's struggling big time this tournament and looking like an injury is inevitable.

Every time Enho falls the way he does, the Ura falls that led to his injuries flash in my mind. Has not been fun at all watching him these past 2 basho

Natto Juryo day 5.

And Ura seems to again be out with injury. Very sad. I do hope that is not the end of his career.

Natto Makuuchi day 5

Regarding Juryo.
I do think Ikioi should retire. He never had much skill to fall back on but now his body is just giving up. Moves like a very old man.

Maybe keep some of the health for his following years.

Makuuchi I catch myself fast forwarding Anoyama bouts. He is such a bore. Nowadays even more. Its either slap down or beat down for him.

Endo again wins the tough match up. Its imo really funny how he changes that extreme from under to overperforming. :D

And Enhou wins but its with his opponent giving him the opening at the Tachiai. I do still think if they all refuse to engage he is shut down. But he is such a great addition to Makuuchi with his technical skill. Masterful.

amazing match between Endo and Okinoumi. crazy balance and power on one foot from Endo to avoid the throw from Okinoumi.

great to see Enho able to use his speed and do a good job getting to the side again Ryuden.

fun match between Tobizaru and Kotoeko. Tobizaru is looking like another really entertaining wrestler and i know he's looking to model himself after Yoshikaze, which bodes well for his entertainment value.

great trip from Hoshoryu as well.

amazing match between Endo and Okinoumi. crazy balance and power on one foot from Endo to avoid the throw from Okinoumi.

great to see Enho able to use his speed and do a good job getting to the side again Ryuden.

fun match between Tobizaru and Kotoeko. Tobizaru is looking like another really entertaining wrestler and i know he's looking to model himself after Yoshikaze, which bodes well for his entertainment value.

great trip from Hoshoryu as well.
Yeah they talked with Tobizaru a lot on day 2 or 3 and he mentioned Yoshikaze is his ideal rikishi. Kinda surprised with Tobizaru so far, seen him a decent amount in Juryo but he never really stood out that much to me outside of a few bouts here and there

Yeah they talked with Tobizaru a lot on day 2 or 3 and he mentioned Yoshikaze is his ideal rikishi. Kinda surprised with Tobizaru so far, seen him a decent amount in Juryo but he never really stood out that much to me outside of a few bouts here and there

he seems to have a personality too which is nice to see and was actually smiling and seemed engaged in the interview instead of just giving the same old "i just need to do my kind of sumo" rote responses.

Kintamayama day 6:

Natto:

Juryo:

Takakeisho did not like all that salt being thrown around
Terunofuji looks really good out there after a bad first 2 days, really looks like he could've been a Yokozuna by now if he avoided injuries. He's my pick to win again

Also, Enho needs to change a lot around. I mean being that small doesn't help but my dude needs some new strategies

Ura's Day 6 match:

good day for the top guys, they all looked pretty good.

Enho did well at the beginning of his match, getting to the side and going for the leg, but then resorted to just going straight at Kagayaki trying to get on his belt. always going to be a tough match for him though, i think.

Takayasu even in his win vs Aoyiama shows again why I always thought of him unworthy of Ozeki. He has really bad balance for such a highly praised rikishi. Its his achilles heel. Just too clumsy despite all his power

Endo at day 7 again with such an atrocious performance. Its really like he either doesnt give two craps about a fight or brings 110% to the death mentality.

Other than that I may have to stop my fantasy about Mita being a Yokozuna talent. Always thought that from the moment he started in Makuuchi. Very sceptical at this point if he makes Ozeki.

I do think we will have to accept that after the era of Mongolian Yokozunas general skill level will fall quite a lot at the top. And thats not because the following rikishi are so bad not at all. Thats because the mongolian horde of Ashashoryu, Harumafujo and Hakuho were the strongest Sumo has ever been at the top. Was an honor to see that. A little bit like Heavyweight boxing in the 70s and 90s that will also quite possible not come back.

really hard won match for Tochinoshin, and all that mobility on his bad knee seemed like it really took it out of him.

Tobizaru is a nut. fun, wild match from him.

think Terutsuyoshi tried to get a bit too cute going for the leg pick against Asanoyama again.

weird to see Kotoshogiku come back, and to see Ishiura back tomorrow.

Last edited:
I do think we will have to accept that after the era of Mongolian Yokozunas general skill level will fall quite a lot at the top. And thats not because the following rikishi are so bad not at all. Thats because the mongolian horde of Ashashoryu, Harumafujo and Hakuho were the strongest Sumo has ever been at the top. Was an honor to see that. A little bit like Heavyweight boxing in the 70s and 90s that will also quite possible not come back.
yeah, i think the Yokozuna quality will definitely drop with the next generation once Hakuho retires. i think Asanoyama can do really well as a Yokozuna and maybe get to around Harumafuji's level of success but i don't really see anyone else with a chance of getting too close. Hoshoryu might have a shot and i'd predict that he'll develop physically quite a bit as he moves up the ranks and ends up being pretty solid.

Terunofuji going to go back to back, believe.

Always love when the broadcast shows old basho footage, wish sumo had a better way to see that stuff

i think Asanoyama can do really well as a Yokozuna and maybe get to around Harumafuji's level of success

Maybe the level of success as Haru had to fight the best there ever were in Sumo but he will not even remotely touch on Harumafujis skill level and thats what was so important to me. We sure will see very successfull Yokozunas again but not at that skill level of Hakuho and Harumafuji.

Ura really was one who also had this special talent in technical creativity but he has too many injuries and not the body imo.

Day 8 Kintamayama:

Natto:

Juryo:

Back