SUMO - 2020 Aki Basho (Sept. 13th - Sept. 27th)

Yo Natto was my go to channel and its dead. nothing else is coming close... suggestions?
he's back up HERE:

not sure if he'll have more success with this channel, but here's hoping.

Endo vs. Asanoyama was amazing. Endo had to get his hips so low to avoid getting pushed out by Asanoyama and then fought well for the double-inside grip, and got his leg between Asanoyama's to give him more leverage for the shitatenage. crazy, crazy stuff from him.

Yo Natto was my go to channel and its dead. nothing else is coming close... suggestions?
This channel live streams the top division English broadcast and usually Juryo and sometimes the latter half of Makushita. The VODs stay up after

Great bout between Endo and Asanoyama, early contender for bout of the basho.

Bummed to see Terunofuji lose right away but I kinda expected it. Just hoping for 8 or 9 wins for him at this position.

Strong day 1 from Mitakeumi, might finally be ready to make that jump to Ozeki

What happened with kotonowaka is he injured?

Imo its much more possible that someone out of Shodai, Mita and Takakeisho gets to be the next Yokozuna.

I felt like hoshoryu got a raw deal. Judges ruled dead body rule but I felt hoshoryu countered at the rope. I wonder if his uncles poor standing umong the sumo association had any influence.

Hope Giku is ok. Any bad injury at this point could be terminal for his career

Takakeisho is looking strong and confident, I'm betting on him to win this basho.

oh no Asanoyama.... Terunofuji off to a rough start as well, but obviously it's more understandable in his case. also sucks to see Kotoshogiku stop in the middle of the match with his leg obviously injured.

on the other hand, great stuff from Shodai and Takakeisho looking great too.

Nobody makes you go "wow this guy is pretty good" one day then "god this guy really sucks" the next quite like Endo

Nobody makes you go "wow this guy is pretty good" one day then "god this guy really sucks" the next quite like Endo
yeah that was a terrible pulling attempt. Miyogiryu read it well, but awful plan from Endo.

Goddamn this thing is all over the place. The top guys really struggle with consistency, there's no ''next Hakuho'' in sight. And poor Enho has been figured out it seems.

I do wonder how Asanoyama comes back from that. He really has a strange weakness to loose out of dominant positions. But better now and then come back stronger than later in his career.

I do hope Shodai makes it next to Ozeki. Very strong sumo and hasnt lost his speed and balance with the weight gaining. Will imo make a good Ozeki.

With Enhou I start to fear for his health. It seems his opponents want to punish him and it looks very painfull how he gets thrown and then being jumped by the opponent. Could easy crack ribs or do even more damage.

I do wonder how Asanoyama comes back from that. He really has a strange weakness to loose out of dominant positions. But better now and then come back stronger than later in his career.

I do hope Shodai makes it next to Ozeki. Very strong sumo and hasnt lost his speed and balance with the weight gaining. Will imo make a good Ozeki.

With Enhou I start to fear for his health. It seems his opponents want to punish him and it looks very painfull how he gets thrown and then being jumped by the opponent. Could easy crack ribs or do even more damage.

He's about 50lbs too light, at least.

He's about 50lbs too light, at least.

I agree but his frame cant be just made bigger. If he only ads dead weight he will loose the only advantages he has and be a slow 110kg guy who gets plastered.

Its imo obvious he has reached his physical limits. Hell look how small he is and built like a brick. He just has to accomodate himself with the fact that in a sport without weight divisions he will not be able to stay at Makuuchi. Juryo and Makushita is still very elite but I dont think thats his plan all along. Imo he would make a fantastic Judoka at elite level. Could really get a career out of that if he wanted.

This is a weird ass Basho. Somebody tell Asanoyama he's about 3 days late. I'm bout to attack people's knees for tossing Enho. Takakeisho looked good the first two days but once his frontal push is stopped, he seems to lose. Endo came in beat Asanoyama and he's like my work here is done

It's weird having no Yokozuna to just toss people around

One thing thats on my mind since I restarted watching Sumo again this year:

Mitakeumi is too heavy now regarding his fighting style. He has lost too much of his mobility. And most of it is in his enormous belly. He is 1.79m with exactly the same weight as 1.85m Shodai and 1.91m Terunofuji and its showing. He lacks speed he had when starting his career.

To get in track for Ozeki (which I think he is capable of) He should loose close to 5-10kg and donate them to Enhou :D But I am serious its very obvious and I do wonder why his coaches dont advise like that.

And wow with Hokutofujis fly through the air. 160kg. I thought for a moment he would land directly on the judge and flat rolling him. Think about that propelled mass coming down on you. :eek:

Last edited:
Back