SUMO - 2015 Hatsu Basho (Jan. 11th - Jan. 25th)

hakuho does seem nervous. but i think hes being methodical with his sumo. looks like hes running away with this basho but i wont lie, im rooting kisenosato

-love seeing the kick attempt again

even though he beat goeido who is having his own problems, kakuryu didn't look great again on day 12.

and yeah, ichinojo hasn't looked on at all this tournament. it's no surprise that after shooting up the ranks so quickly he would have a tournament like this, so hopefully he is able to get everything sorted out and use this experience to improve off of. i think it also has a lot to do with poor preparation before the last two tournaments. he's been saying he feels weak in his practice sessions, and has had health issues, as well as obviously being under a lot of pressure at such a young age.

tokitenku kachikoshi makes me very happy.

and it wasn't a particularly fancy match, but i was impressed with sokokurai. he did a great job of blocking arawashi's inside grip attempt, and it was nice to see him win with a tsuridashi. he's a really strong guy, especially for one of the smaller guys in the top division, and i love seeing him use those power moves.

Osunaarashi doesn't seem to be able to mix up his slapping and grappling attacks. He doesn't combine them in an intelligent way, just one or the other and slapping only takes you so far while his grappling just isn't technical enough. He's all instincts whereas he needs to develop a smarter game. He could learn from watching Kakuryu.

Ichinojo needs to make sure he doesn't become too much of a fatty. He's looking slow and weak. Maybe hit the weights more. He was born with the perfect body and athleticism for sumo, like Musashimaru. Musashimaru took time to develop into his eventually huge body, and was still too big by the end of it. Ichi might need to slow down.

Tokitenkuu's foot sweep on day 11 was awesome! Beautiful technique! And Endou got BLASTED on day 11. Holy crap.

Tokitenkuu with foot blocks and sweeps all day errryday son! Is this something relatively recent for him? I don't remember this many foot sweep/kick wins for him in previous bashos.

Harumafuji vs. Kakuryu had me on the edge of my computer chair, fist pumping like a little kid at a WWE show. Great bout!

Kisenosato vs. Hakuho was a great finale! Kisenosato soooooo close to upsetting the King, but in the rematch Hakuho shows why he's number one.

Go Fork Yourself - where do you think Hakuho stands in terms of the GOAT list alongside all the other Yokozuna's in history? Is it too early to say?

Hakuho just made history. Well deserved champion.

Tokitenkuu with foot blocks and sweeps all day errryday son! Is this something relatively recent for him? I don't remember this many foot sweep/kick wins for him in previous bashos.

yeah, foot sweeps and kicks are sort of his signature techniques. he does go for them quite often but like i said i think he's really firing on all cylinders this tournament and he's having more success with them. the sweep on kaisei was awesome and hilarious. tokitenku ftmfw.

really exciting match between harumafuji and kakuryu. once again, harumafuji's speed at the tachi-ai is really amazing. i was surprised he was even able to push back kakuryu when he had a double outside grip, but the double inside grips for kakuryu just gave him too much control.

and man, i actually thought that kisenosato did touch the ground first in their first match, but it was close and i'm not surprised they had a rematch. it's too bad kisenosato couldn't beat hakuho to make the final days that much more exciting, but oh well. pretty cool to see history made, and hakuho certainly deserves it.

Go Fork Yourself - where do you think Hakuho stands in terms of the GOAT list alongside all the other Yokozuna's in history? Is it too early to say?

i would find it really hard not to say he's one of the greatest of all time, or even that he's the greatest. the argument would basically be that he doesn't have good enough competition, but i think that's quite hard to judge and i think hakuho's dominance makes everyone competing in his shadow look worse than they really are.

i don't know, it's hard to say and in a sport with as much history as sumo's you can analyze this stuff to death, but i would say he's the best ever.

yeah, foot sweeps and kicks are sort of his signature techniques. he does go for them quite often but like i said i think he's really firing on all cylinders this tournament and he's having more success with them. the sweep on kaisei was awesome and hilarious. tokitenku ftmfw.

really exciting match between harumafuji and kakuryu. once again, harumafuji's speed at the tachi-ai is really amazing. i was surprised he was even able to push back kakuryu when he had a double outside grip, but the double inside grips for kakuryu just gave him too much control.

and man, i actually thought that kisenosato did touch the ground first in their first match, but it was close and i'm not surprised they had a rematch. it's too bad kisenosato couldn't beat hakuho to make the final days that much more exciting, but oh well. pretty cool to see history made, and hakuho certainly deserves it.

i would find it really hard not to say he's one of the greatest of all time, or even that he's the greatest. the argument would basically be that he doesn't have good enough competition, but i think that's quite hard to judge and i think hakuho's dominance makes everyone competing in his shadow look worse than they really are.

i don't know, it's hard to say and in a sport with as much history as sumo's you can analyze this stuff to death, but i would say he's the best ever.

Yeah Sumo has literally hundreds and hundreds of years of history so there's a lot of depth there, but looking at the records he's shattered and broken, it could be a long time before someone comes and surpasses him. I feel like I'm lucky to have gotten into Sumo at a time where he is king of the mountain as he truly is rewriting the history books it seems.

Hakuho is just incredible. He's not even past his prime yet.

Didn't even know a break/restart after 3 minutes existed (Ichinojo/Terunofuji).

Goeido vs. Kotoshogiku is going to be very interesting, or not, depends on Kotoshogiku.

i think hakuho will gi undefeated. fitting for his accomplishment

another great day. good for endo too

Terunofuji and Tochiozan need to win tomorrow, otherwise they are going to have to promote some jobbers into sanyaku.

fun to see a mizu-iri again. just because it's a noteworthy event, here's full video of the terunofuji/ichinojo match with the english broadcast commentary (and jason's commentary):

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw-mujLf8eI[/YT]

man, that was an epic match between hakuho and kakuryu. great way to end the tournament too, and it's fitting for hakuho to win this historic tournament with another unbeaten record.

here's video of his parade:

also a great job by harumafuji against kisenosato on the final day. i wish he was more consistent, but when he's on he has some amazing sumo.

Glad my man Terunofuji pulled through in classic style! Big things await this guy.

And I have to say I was really impressed by each Yokozuna vs Yokozun matchup this tourney.

Glad my man Terunofuji pulled through in classic style! Big things await this guy.

And I have to say I was really impressed by each Yokozuna vs Yokozun matchup this tourney.

yeah, it was really good to see terunofuji pick up his winning record. it also got him the kanto-sho fighting spirit prize which i believe was the only special prize awarded this tournament.

Great record by Hakuho, records are made to be broken and most of us did not see this one tumbling especially after Asashoryu became derailed. For a while it seemed both men would prevent each other from achieving the record and yet here we are.

Even if Asashoryu had not been "pushed out" I suspect he was no longer a massive hurdle on Hakuho's ambitions with that elbow injury that pretty much moved him from great to good Yokozuna

Back