SUMO - 2015 Hatsu Basho (Jan. 11th - Jan. 25th)

i think two losses in the first week is underperforming for a yokozuna, but i just briefly checked records for some recent yokozuna and it's actually quite common.

Ahhhh thanks. That's cool. As far as the Yokozuna's are concerned I just might have rose colored glasses because all I can remember from the past few Bashos was Hakuho completing tearing through everyone and making it look easy.

Tochinowaka retired too, that's a little bit more surprising.

Day 8

[YT]iznjldjX_ak[/YT]

Harumafuji straight up choked kaisei.

man, that really sucks that homasho retired, but as mentioned it's not really a surprise. one of my favorites of all time, and i loved his defensive style. sorry to see him go, but with all the injuries i'm sure it's the right time.

ff5tz4.jpg

and regarding day 8, man i love seeing that kind of stuff from harumafuji. such a powerful nodo-wa.

Goeido's ozeki adventure probably coming to a close after only 3 tournaments with Hakuho, Kakuryu and Kotoshogiku still ahead.

yeah, man goeido is in trouble.

and terunofuji looked awesome against aoiyama on day 9.

Koto looking good. His injuries are adding up and he doesn't seem as strong as a couple years ago, but the guy can still step up when he needs to.

Day 10

[YT]81lr7CmsGNI[/YT]

Good to see Kisenosato isn't injured. Harumafuji is looking really strong and his sumo is on point. I have a feeling that Hakuho will side step harumafuji in their bout. He looks very nervous and isn't displaying his usual sumo style. Really enjoying this basho.

I'm really excited to see Harumafuji square off with Hakuho. He has shredded everyone he's beaten this tournament while Hakuho has looked less than perfect despite the record. I can't imagine the energy if they meet on the final day after winning every match until then.

hakuho been making huge stacks this tourney

harumafuji blasted koto out of the friggin water

takayasus bout was great

man i wish harumafuji was able to fight with this kind of aggression more consistently. when he does it, it's just amazing. hopefully he can keep it up and avoid any more losses before his match with hakuho.

and ichinojo looks really weak this tournament. i forget why, but i believe he wasn't able to practice too much before this tournament, and it certainly looks like it.

i really love the second week.

kisenosato has been looking good this tourney imo

as for ichinojo, hes getting pushed back relativity easily

Day 11

[YT]3ZCvyoxRXLQ[/YT]

After laughing at gagamarus's flop, I recomposed myself. This is now Hakuho's basho but he still looks off. He is hesitating quite a bit but is keeping himself together to get the wins. Aoiyama has been jumping off the line rather quickly and that really helped with his win over Harumafuji. Harumafuji's aggressiveness got the best of him and he ended up attacking at chest level and not going for the throat( which, in my opinion, helped aoiyama get the win). Kakuryu.... he just hasn't looked all that good this basho. I hope the rest of the bashos this year are as exciting as this one.

great technique in tokitenku and tochinoshin's wins. i feel like tokitenku's leg attacks are paying off a lot more this tournament than they have in recent times.

and i had to make a gif of tokushoryu:

1zqg2he.gif

it's disappointing to see harumafuji lose after he's been doing so well, but this is the danger of his aggressive style. and i'm glad to see kotoshogiku get his winning record, but it's a shame to see kakuryu struggling a bit more this tournament.

Just found out that my jiu jitsu gym will be offering Sumo! Super excited!

Day 12

[YT]jCryv5tenGI[/YT]

Hakuho seems super nervous. Ichinojo looks sloooooooowww. Doubt Hak takes two losses to end up with a tie break on the last day.

Back