SUMO - 2015 Hatsu Basho (Jan. 11th - Jan. 25th)

great job by terunofuji, keeping kisenosato off balance pretty much the whole time.

and man, i love seeing harumafuji be able to do that kind of sumo. so many times he slips or gets too aggressive, but when it works it's so fast and devastating.

it's always a good day when tokitenku gets a slick trip victory, but it sucks to see kotoshogiku getting injured again.

Harumafuji looking like a boss and treating Endo like a child

takayasu.... man, how in the world did he win that match, aoiyama was pressuring him really well the whole match and takayasu was on the defensive and scrambling the entire time. but the slick throw at the end... man, that was great.

and yeah, harumafuji is looking really good. the trip he tried on endo as he spun him around was really cool, although it didn't finish the match directly.

lots of great matches in the first half of the day too.

Harumafuji is at his best at the moment, Terunofuji still putting up good matches. He will be ozeki by end of the year imo.

Harumafuji like lightning. Great to see him at 5-0.

Ichinoji not looking too good at the moment. I hope he and Aoiyama can step it up, i'd like to see them keep rank since no one below them is currently better imo.

wow, another great match from terunofuji. even though he isn't getting the wins he's having a very good tournament.

ichinojo, on the other hand, is looking pretty weak out there this time.

wow, another great match from terunofuji. even though he isn't getting the wins he's having a very good tournament.

ichinojo, on the other hand, is looking pretty weak out there this time.

My prediction:

By 2016, Terunofuji, Ichinojo, and possibly Aoiyama will be Ozeki. Koto will be out for sure, Kise will still be in, Goeido I'm not sure.

My prediction:

By 2016, Terunofuji, Ichinojo, and possibly Aoiyama will be Ozeki. Koto will be out for sure, Kise will still be in, Goeido I'm not sure.

Aoiyama is hit or miss, I'm not convinced he will be solid enough for Ozeki. Terunofuji looks like he can do it and was oh so close today. I agree with Koto and Kise and like you, Goeido is iffy.

My prediction:

yeah, i think that's a pretty good prediction. terunofuji is so close to being able to pick up wins against the yokozuna, and if he keeps improving he should be in the sanyaku pretty soon.

Hakuho vs Endo... wow! That was a bit crazy. Ichinojo is looking slow but nice to see him get the win. Kakuryu should have won that but didn't seem in to it. Harumafuji came out like a freight train and then almost gave me a coronary. Osunaarashi with that slap fest.

Hakuho vs Endo... wow! That was a bit crazy. Ichinojo is looking slow but nice to see him get the win. Kakuryu should have won that but didn't seem in to it. Harumafuji came out like a freight train and then almost gave me a coronary. Osunaarashi with that slap fest.

you pointed all the highlights i wanted to on the button. yoshikaze got a good pugilistic handling. endo /kakuho was great. i think endo made a grave mistake in using that maneuver right before he was thrown out. you wont sweep hakuho aside easily. great win by harumafuji. hope he contends for the cup

goeido in trouble

yeah, i think the harite slap from hakuho at the tachiai took endo's balance away and he wasn't able to find his balance at all in the match. he still scrambled fairly well though.

it's disappointing to see kakuryu drop another match too.

I haven't watched day 7 yet, but up to day 6 Kakuryu already has two losses? That's not good for a Yokozuna right?

And Osunaarashi is the one sumo that I would not want to meet in a back alley. He will slap the s*** out of you.

I haven't watched day 7 yet, but up to day 6 Kakuryu already has two losses? That's not good for a Yokozuna right?

i think two losses in the first week is underperforming for a yokozuna, but i just briefly checked records for some recent yokozuna and it's actually quite common.

Back