SUMO - 2010 Aki Basho (Sept. 15th - Sept. 26th)

finally found a torrent of the full video of the first day uploaded by "bumfluff42" on demonoid.

Cheers!! :icon_chee!!

& congrats to Hak for tying the wolf - he looks unstoppable at the moment! 3/4 ozekis looks strong as well, especially kotooshu. Other wrestlers who have done well this week are sekiwake Tochiozan & maegashira Yoshikaze. We'll see what transpires in the second week.

Damn I love Sumo...but I cannot explain why

congratz to hakuho. man he looked pumped today before his bout. there was no way he was going to lose today. he met chiyanofuji later and was warmly congratulated.
japanese tv nhk showed how hakuho has changed his ring entrance for this basho to emulate futabayama's entrance. hakuho has been studying the former yokozuna's style and technique recently and no doubt he has his eyes set on that magic 69 (paste your 69 joke here anyway you want). this was the record that most sumo experts said would never be broken.

the guy who uploads the full days on sumotalk.com finally got everything worked out, and day 7 is also here: http://neptune.hep.kbfi.ee/mario/sumo/Aki-2010-day7.asf

my SPOILER filled thoughts on the day are as follows:

first off, i'm really liking sokokurai. he's had some great matches so far, but he had a great slam of kakizoe on day 7. really hoping he gets a kachi-koshi and sticks around next tournament.

also a great job by tokitenku against aran. they have some nice back and forth matches, and tokitenku won this one in classic style after weathering aran's powerful lifting offense. a slick trip is pretty much the best you can hope for from tokitenku, i just wish the tournament was going better for him.

sucks for harumafuji. kakuryu is turning it up lately, so it's not so bad to lose to him, but it looked to me like harumafuji's knee buckled, so i hope he's not injured (though he seemed to walk away like it was nothing serious).

and finally, man hakuho has some wild-ass sumo lately. very uncharacteristic. i think it's partly because some of his opponents are stepping up to the plate, but i think like superGNP said earlier, the pressure is getting to him. anyway, he got the win and that's really the most important thing, so grats to him.

Found this on a different forum.

Sokokurai (4-3) over Kakizoe by tsuki-otoshi, 4.7 sec
--------------------------------------------------------------
(130 kg light weight displaying a wild tsuri-otoshi reminiscent of Asashoryu to down Kakizoe but regretting later about getting carried away to execute the risky move.)
"I should have been taken him out simply but I ended up going for the throw. I want to come back keeping myself in check and remain little bit calmer."

http://www.dichne.com/kakizokokurai.asf

At first I was getting really bored seeing Hakuho dominate but with his recent wild matches and everyone stepping up there game its going to be a real interested race to see if he can make it. Maybe its the best thing for sumo right now.

Looking forward to his bout with Tochiozan. Glad he is showing a great tournament, been a fan of his.

i was glad to see that tokusegawa wasn't blown away by hakuho on day 9.

also, sokokurai got screwed against hokutoriki.

Speaking of Hokutoriki, he got ktfo by Takamisakari last night via shoulder blast. He was reported vomiting afterwards. The look of concern on Robocop right after the shoulder blast was priceless.

The look of concern on Robocop right after the shoulder blast was priceless.

everything that guy does is gold. and yeah, hokutoriki got wrecked by that shoulder.

lots of my favorites are getting losing records since they're all up so high, but none of them is really doing terribly except tokitenku.

Another clean sweep. He pretty much has the consecutive win record in the bag. Breaks the 69 by the eighth day of the November Basho and if he zensho's breaks his record for most wins in a year.

finally saw day 15, didn't want to post anything until i saw it, so even though it's late here are my thoughts anyway. here's who i felt are the winners and losers of the basho:

winners -

Hakuho: obviously. not only did he continue his winning streak, but he's pretty much single-handedly giving people in the sumo world something to talk about aside from scandals. i don't see any way that he doesn't get 69, especially since the first week will be pretty easy for him (not that the ozeki are putting up much of a fight).

Kaio: got a winning record when it counted, and will live to fight in the kyushu basho in fukuoka which is huge for him.

Tochiozan: showed good sumo, and lived up to the potential that people have been talking about for years. and an 11-4 record at sekiwake is great, and if he can keep this up for the next couple basho (i don't think it will happen) people will be talking about another japanese ozeki which would be huge.

Oguruma Beya Boys: Yoshikaze and Takekaze both had great tournaments. although it does point to a sad state of affairs when the only two people staying in the yusho race (numerically) into the final days are two maegashira rank-and-filers.

Tokusegawa: at his highest ever rank, going up against all of the top guys in the sport Tokusegawa didn't buckle under the pressure and finished the basho with a 6-9 record which isn't bad as far as make-koshi go. the experience he got during this basho will definitely help him when he makes his return to the top of the maegashira ranks which is inevitable.

Sokokurai: got his kachi-koshi in his first tournament in the top division, which is a great milestone, and is the first ever chinese sumotori to even make it to the top division, so i'm sure he's proud of that. but even more than that, he showed some great sumo, and specifically some surprisingly powerful sumo given how much smaller than everyone else he is.

losers -

The Ozeki: two 8-7's, a 9-6, and a 10-5? the double-digit win is alright, but those aren't ozeki records. Kaio gets a semi-pass but the fact remains that these are not the kind of records that ozeki should be putting up. truly dismal basho for Harumafuji, and Baruto, and Kotooshu needs to keep it together in the second half of the tournament.

Aran: did some awful henka and couldn't even get a winning record.

Tokitenku: the less said about this tournament the better, he'll have to start over again way at the bottom of the maegashira ranks.

I've always wanted to try Sumo, it looks like so much fun.

I've always wanted to try Sumo, it looks like so much fun.

you can ask the sherdog user NHB7 about it. he's done a lot of training in different disciplines and recently took up sumo and loved it.

Back