Suggestion

Origins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would like to pose a suggestion to the forum.

In the short time I have been a lurker/member of teh 'Dog, I have noticed that the Dieting/Supplement sub-forum gets a lot of garbage threads about things like "how do i lose 50 pounds", "what supplement should i take", and so on. These threads invariably get locked after a bit of half-hearted flaming by the regulars.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the flaming. The occasional trash thread in the S&C about toning your abs or whatever adds some fun to the forum and creates a sense of solidarity and community among the posters. However, the D&S gets way too many of these threads and honestly, I think it just gets old. The occasional shit thread can be hilarious, but too many of them just pollutes the quality of the forum and makes people lose interest in reading or posting in threads.

Just scrolling through the first page right now you see 4 locked threads, one of which is just a random question that is probably unavoidable. The other three are two guys asking which supplement they should use to gain muscle and one guy asking what diet to use to make weight. There is also "Has anyone tried Nox Edge?" which will probably be locked soon. There are so many of these threads started that only a select few posters (thank you for your continued services, immovablestone) even bother to make fun of them anymore.

To help fix this, I think this sub-forum should be renamed "Nutrition Discussion".

I think the name "Dieting/Supplement Discussion" invites people to come in and talk about gimmicky bullshit. Of course, weight/fat loss and solid supplements could still be discussed and all. I just think that the current name makes the average poster in the Heavies think that this forum is dedicated to shortcuts/fad diets/magic pills when in fact most here are more interested basic nutritional principles that actually work.

Just to clarify, I am not trying to make this a "mods suck" thread or anything like that. I think the mods in this sub-forum do a fine job.

What do you think? Do you agree or disagree?

I don't see what the big deal is if someone wants to discuss Nox Edge or whatever. I think some of them are legit questions. A lot of people may think its overpriced gimicky shit, but other people may be interested in it and would like to discuss it. I was ready to reply to one of the locked threads mentioned, then saw it was locked. I thought that was kind of lame. This forum gets kind of cliquey sometimes.

I don't see what the big deal is if someone wants to discuss Nox Edge or whatever. I think some of them are legit questions. A lot of people may think its overpriced gimicky shit, but other people may be interested in it and would like to discuss it. I was ready to reply to one of the locked threads mentioned, then saw it was locked. I thought that was kind of lame. This forum gets kind of cliquey sometimes.

I am of the opinion that anyone looking to an internet message board for serious nutritional advice is nowhere near the level where they need to worry about buying shit like "Nox Edge" or "Dark Matter".

Back