Suggestion for people who have trouble in Kickboxing/MT sparring

Matt Thornton

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
So lately when I spar, I notice a huge difference than before. I'm so much more relaxed when I spar. I'm not nearly as tense when punches start flying as I used to be. Of course, my Kickboxing/MT coach tells me all the time when I spar, to relax, so I'm still not totally relaxed, but definitely improved.

One quick thing I'll give you guys, that helped me a LOT, is spend a few rounds asking your partner to just throw kicks (especially low kicks), and just defend them, without hitting back. Taking care of punches is one thing. But I used to find myself getting really tense and confused when I had to worry about the arms AND legs. These days I find myself blocking leg kicks as a reflex; I barely even think about it anymore, and my leg just moves. I'm much more relaxed about defending both.

Sometimes what confuses people, at least what confused me, is having to defend upper and lower body. Spend some extra time correcting your kick defenses.

Also, I've posted this before, RELAX! Chill out. Some people are naturally cool with getting hit. Others, especially former TMAists like myself (where perfection is drilled into your head; can be bad in some situations), get confused when they get hit, and it goes all downhill from there. Learn to relax when you're under fire. Just because a punch hit you doesn't mean you're losing. You can't block and dodge every punch. Worry about if you're still standing, and worry about the outcome as a whole. You can't win every skirmish, but you can win the war.

Hope this helps some people who are getting pissed at themselves after sparring matches. And feel free to throw in some of your advice.

I don't have a big problem defending either but i do find some nights i really don't want to get hit and other nights getting hit doesn't really bother me at all

umm..keep sparring..youll get better

i can take the leg kicks like no other so i dont need to defend them lol

KillaKix said:

You mean in a fight, or in a sparring match? Because there's a big difference. I've yet to meet someone who can take full-on shin-to-sciatic nerve without bruising or slowing them down. I train so that I can fight when I'm 18. I can take sparring leg kicks, but the idea of sparring isn't to tough it out. You're supposed to be simulating a full-contact match where the strikes are actually dangerous.

KillaKix said:
Love to see you fight Aerts and still have that opinion.

SmashiusClay said:
Love to see you fight Aerts and still have that opinion.
You should know by now everyone on srdog is world class

Vilo Magee said:
Arent you like 15 years old or something?

Haha. 17. Close though. But, that doesn't mean I can't know a thing or two about MMA. It is pretty much my life outside of school and Japanese study.

Iceman5592 said:
Haha. 17. Close though. But, that doesn't mean I can't know a thing or two about MMA. It is pretty much my life outside of school and Japanese study.
Thats cool. When I was 17 I listened more than I talked and didnt give advice to anyone but that was just me.

Vilo-

that listen more than you talk policy is a good one but you are giving him a hard time and the kid's original post wasn't in the "I've been training a whole month now so I know everything " mode...
he was excited he was improving and trying to help others by passing on what helped him...no harm in that if he is 15 or 59..

good luck in your training Iceman 5592

And Vilo good luck in your fighting career

What was that thing in the grappling forum: "Even a blackbelt can learn from a whitebelt."

Vilo Magee said:
Thats cool. When I was 17 I listened more than I talked and didnt give advice to anyone but that was just me.

Sorry. Guess you are kind of right. I didn't mean to come off sounding like I knew a lot or anything. Like some of the guys after you said. I'm just trying to help other people along. I've seen other people on here who have asked for advice when they start sparring. I had some problems when I started, and I'm really progressing in getting rid of those problems, so I'd thought I'd just tell people what I did. Maybe it'll work for some other guys.

Didn't mean to come off as arrogant or a know it all. Sorry about that.

But that's too bad that you didn't give other people advice. I like helping people, you know? And even if it doesn't end up helping people, I at least like to try.

toasty said:
Vilo-

that listen more than you talk policy is a good one but you are giving him a hard time and the kid's original post wasn't in the "I've been training a whole month now so I know everything " mode...
he was excited he was improving and trying to help others by passing on what helped him...no harm in that if he is 15 or 59..

good luck in your training Iceman 5592

And Vilo good luck in your fighting career
I am just stating my opinion nothing less nothing more.

Iceman5592 said:
Sorry. Guess you are kind of right. I didn't mean to come off sounding like I knew a lot or anything. Like some of the guys after you said. I'm just trying to help other people along. I've seen other people on here who have asked for advice when they start sparring. I had some problems when I started, and I'm really progressing in getting rid of those problems, so I'd thought I'd just tell people what I did. Maybe it'll work for some other guys.

Didn't mean to come off as arrogant or a know it all. Sorry about that.

But that's too bad that you didn't give other people advice. I like helping people, you know? And even if it doesn't end up helping people, I at least like to try.

You have nothing to appoligize for. I think you made a worthwhile thread with good info for beginners....nothing wrong with that. Relaxing is one of the hardest things to learn initially and once learned makes a person apear levels better.

Vilo Magee said:
I am just stating my opinion nothing less nothing more.

Well, I mean, do you have something to contribute to this thread? Or did you just want to flame me because I'm 17 and I'm trying to tell people who are willing to listen what I've learned?

You're a pro fighter. You know more than me. So why don't you share it with us?

If you came on here just to make fun of me, maybe you should take a look at who's the one acting like a 17 year old...

Iceman5592 said:
Well, I mean, do you have something to contribute to this thread? Or did you just want to flame me because I'm 17 and I'm trying to tell people who are willing to listen what I've learned?

You're a pro fighter. You know more than me. So why don't you share it with us?

If you came on here just to make fun of me, maybe you should take a look at who's the one acting like a 17 year old...
Relax, it was a joke.. and it was funny. Your advice is very much appreciated.

Back