Suggestion for Headgear - good for stand up and grappling

KaosX

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm new to martial arts (about 2 months of training 3 days a week in Muay Thai, Hapkido, BJJ and Kali) and don't have all the gear I need for a complete sparring session yet.

I've gotten by on borrowed gear but IMO - it was for the most part crappy gear.

Since my dojo moved and the class times changed to where I can't make many of my previous classes I'm moving out of a traditional martial arts structure to an MMA gym that's on the way home from work.

There's going to be a lot more sparring from what I've asked of them and seen in a class I observed so I need to get my sparring gear figured out soon.

This brings me to headgear. Since It's an MMA program I need equipment that's good on the ground and on my feet. I've already got gloves and shins figured out, now I'm focusing on headgear.

Most of the gear I'm finding seems like it would be better suited for one or the other - and there isn't much in the middle.

I'm sure others have run across this problem.

I've seen top ten, however I have a pretty big head and they seem to for the most part come only in medium.

Price really isnt a concern - buy once, cry once but I'd like to try to keep it under 100.

Summary:

Headgear that's good for stand up and grappling
I have a big head
Around or under $100

Thanks!

I just purchased a pair of TopTen Avant Guarde headsets.

Totiro-USA is having a sale with there's for 15% off, which brings the price down to $95. Is it pricey? Hell yes. But are they some of the best available MMA headguards? Hell yes.

July-15 is the coupon code. Good until August I think. Email Tim from their website and he may extend it or you until mid-August.

When I asked Totiro which headguard of the TopTen line was the best for MMA, this was there answer:

I'm going to answer your questions about the headguard as I'm the guy here who does Kickboxing & MMA vs Karate Pointfighting.

First, we can't match that advertised Ebay price. We can match prices to a certain degree but not those on Ebay that may or may not be brand new 1st rate merchandise which is what we sell. That being said I will throw in one of our Silence T-Shirts with your order. Take a look at them, tell me which 2 styles (so I can be sure we have one of them) you like best and what size you need.

Now as for the differences. The Avantguard is the newer version. I've used them both and like the Avantguard better because:
It has additional padding in the forehead area and the padding is configured differently (I don't know exactly how) so that it does not dig into your forehead as much (as the Olympia) when you get hit hard.
When they reconfigured the forehead area they improved the shape so that sweat is funneled away from your eyes so it flows down your temples instead of right into your eyes.
There are more air holes so that you stay a bit cooler.
There is some additional ear protection which is nice when your kicked or nailed by a hook.
Again, I could use either version and I use the Avantgaurd.

On that note, I'll get them in this week or next and I'll put a review up once I've really put them to the test. I'm looking for something similar to you. I need it to take a good punch while staying on my head when I go to the ground.

Back