Suggestion for an Open Source Project

fallable

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So I have bought quite a few books lately. Something I've been looking for but haven't been able to find is something like a "book of concepts." (Any suggestions?) A compilation of major concepts all in one place! Something you could buy and read and sort of get the basics of the major ideas, systems, strategies, worldviews etc that shape and influence the world, the different ways to approach life, and a source that can introduce one to influential concepts they are unaware of. Everything from religion and philosophy to technology and strategy and everything in between.

If nothing like this happens to exist, I think it would be a worthwhile project. Its something I personally would like to have. Being open source I think would be a bonus as it would enable for many different people to contribute to the project and different perspectives to come across. It could even have a polemic aspect to it as people with different views could submit counter entries that give multiple perspectives on a given concept.

I've heard hints of this being developed, like the Netflix of education, probably be a popular product for it in the next 5 years

Very cool idea though to make it and do it open source, I think open source and the unwinding of restrictive IP law would be a good step for humanity

That's pretty broad man.

There are accessible introductory resources out there for all of the subjects you mentioned. I'm just not sure how you'd group them all under one heading, why you'd want to.

(Assuming you're not some reincarnation of Diderot or D'Alembert.)

When you get done with it, be sure to name it The Internet

So I have bought quite a few books lately. Something I've been looking for but haven't been able to find is something like a "book of concepts." (Any suggestions?) A compilation of major concepts all in one place! Something you could buy and read and sort of get the basics of the major ideas, systems, strategies, worldviews etc that shape and influence the world, the different ways to approach life, and a source that can introduce one to influential concepts they are unaware of. Everything from religion and philosophy to technology and strategy and everything in between.

If nothing like this happens to exist, I think it would be a worthwhile project. Its something I personally would like to have. Being open source I think would be a bonus as it would enable for many different people to contribute to the project and different perspectives to come across. It could even have a polemic aspect to it as people with different views could submit counter entries that give multiple perspectives on a given concept.
You mean like Wikipedia? Because that's the concept of an enciclopedia

You mean like Wikipedia? Because that's the concept of an enciclopedia

I have a set of encyclopedias. It's 25 volumes that are all over 1000 pages. Wikipedia has something like 20 million pages/entries. The first topic in my encyclopedia is an entry on aardvark's. And while I enjoy aardvark's, am interested in learning about them, and support their conservation, I wouldn't include them in a book that compiled major concepts.

I've heard hints of this being developed, like the Netflix of education, probably be a popular product for it in the next 5 years

Very cool idea though to make it and do it open source, I think open source and the unwinding of restrictive IP law would be a good step for humanity

I haven't heard of that project. I'll keep my eyes open for it. I have seen a channel you can get on Amazon firestick called Great Courses which looks pretty cool.

The closest book I can find regarding what I'm talking about is a book by Will Durant called The Greatest Minds and Ideas of All Time. It has chapters on the the greatest thinkers, greatest poets, greatest books, most important moments in history etc. But doesn't really touch on a lot of the concepts that I personally would like to have compiled in one place.

It's only peripherally related, but this reminds me of a book I own called 'A Short History of Nearly Everything', by Bill Bryson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Short_History_of_Nearly_Everything

A Short History deviates from Bryson's popular travel book genre, instead describing general sciences such as chemistry, paleontology, astronomy, and particle physics. In it, he explores time from the Big Bang to the discovery of quantum mechanics, via evolution and geology.

I received it as a gift, and haven't finished it. This thread makes me want to finish it though, so I just pulled it off the shelf and I think I'll start on it in a day or two.

Back