Suggestion: Accessing thread via multiple sub-forums.

Halge

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I have a suggestion for a function that would improve the forum.
I'm sure someone has suggested it before, but here goes:

I'd like it if a thread could be visible and accessible from multiple subforums.
Say for example that I want to make a thread about weightlifting, and I think it would be suitable for both S&C and Sports Bar, and maybe even Mayberry. I would like it to reach as many posters as possible, in order to maximize member participation. Starting two or more separate, identical threads isn't as fun, as the replies would still be divided between the threads instead of collected in the same place.

I'm sure there are all kinds of technical limitations and moderating considerations that makes this problematic, but if you could find a way of implementing it that would be great.

(If this is already something you can do, please tell me how...)

I have a suggestion for a function that would improve the forum.
I'm sure someone has suggested it before, but here goes:

I'd like it if a thread could be visible and accessible from multiple subforums.
Say for example that I want to make a thread about weightlifting, and I think it would be suitable for both S&C and Sports Bar, and maybe even Mayberry. I would like it to reach as many posters as possible, in order to maximize member participation. Starting two or more separate, identical threads isn't as fun, as the replies would still be divided between the threads instead of collected in the same place.

I'm sure there are all kinds of technical limitations and moderating considerations that makes this problematic, but if you could find a way of implementing it that would be great.

(If this is already something you can do, please tell me how...)
I wouldn’t be the person to approve/consider or make this happen. But I will say from a moderation perspective it brings a concern because all forums have sub cultures, and respectively, they have unique rule sets.

For example, if someone posts a thread about trump and Colby, it goes to the WR because the culture and the rules suit it best....I don’t necessarily want the ufc discussion to also see a thread where flaming is now allowed because it’s a part of the war room. Because in ufc discussion there’s no flaming.

Id be afraid sub forums would become more like hashtags then sub forums

I wouldn’t be the person to approve/consider or make this happen. But I will say from a moderation perspective it brings a concern because all forums have sub cultures, and respectively, they have unique rule sets.

For example, if someone posts a thread about trump and Colby, it goes to the WR because the culture and the rules suit it best....I don’t necessarily want the ufc discussion to also see a thread where flaming is now allowed because it’s a part of the war room. Because in ufc discussion there’s no flaming.

Id be afraid sub forums would become more like hashtags then sub forums

I can see how the differing forum rules would be a problem. I dunno, maybe you could solve it by, like, having a popup window informing you of what rules are in effect that appears whenever you enter the thread. That way you'd only see the thread title while in a particular forum, not the (potentially rulebreaking) content. The second you click the thread you are made aware that you are entering an area where different rules are in effect.
Again, probably a lot of obstacles technical and otherwise with this.

It might spare you mods a significant amount of work moving misplaced threads back and forth between forums. Whenever in doubt (and assuming the thread isn't outright unsuitable for its current subforum), just post a second thread-link/mirror thread in another forum instead of moving the thread altogether. And it would spare us posters a lot of the work searching for already existing threads before starting a thread.

Back