1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Suggested gym equipment

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Robocok, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Robocok Black Belt

What do you consider essential to a home gym? What would you add or change for your gym?

Here's what I think:
    Range of dumbbells
    41cSUPu6WqL._AC_.jpg
    Squat/deaflift bar + rack + plates
    s-1-squat-stand-lg.jpg

Bench- flat or adjustable

prime-bench.jpg

Pullup bar

pullupbars-lowres-1134.jpg

Heavy bag

products-Lifetime-muay-thai-bag-552.jpg

Plyo boxes

BSTPB-Set3.jpg

Bonus equipment that would be nice to have if there was space:
    Treadmill
    L7_M_DRAMATIC-1_2019_296685af-1418-4915-8172-f902c9778d3e.png

Hamstring curl machine

legend-fitness-1107-selectedge-hamstring-curl-xlg.jpg

Cable machine

dual_hero.jpg

Back extension

unnamed.jpg

2. Robocok Black Belt

Hanging ab, dip, pull up station

61kiQ+8L+aL._SY450_.jpg

3. wufabufa Silver Belt

This is what I have:

Mats
    Squat stands
    Flat bench
    Olympic barbell
    Adjustable olympic DB handles
    Plates
    weight tree
    Gymnastic rings
    a few bands
    CoC grippers #1, 2, 2.5, and 3.
    Some chalk socks
    Ab wheel
    Bluetooth speaker

It's a minimal set up in my opinion and it fits nicely in the corner of my basement. +1 on the leg curl machine. Leg curls are great. That's the only thing I miss about going to a commercial gym. I think the only thing I would consider adding to my set up is a landmine attachment.

4. closequarters Brown Belt

If we’re talking essentials only, then you could get the SML2 squat rack instead of the S1. It’s less than $100 more, it’s sturdier and comes with a pull up bar. If you can do without dips, you can skip the pull up station altogether.

5. blaseblah Titanium Belt

I would add bands

6. boingyman If can, can. If no can, no can.

Not getting into specifics, the essentials to me are:
    -Flooring (platform)
    -Rack
    -Barbell
    -Plates
    -Flat Bench

Beyond that and the quality really boils down to budget and space. I got all the above first and eventually got adjustable dumbbells and a SSB. Rack has a pullup bar. I also have a pulley attachment for the rack that I use sometimes. I also have a bunch of random misc items. I have a small space so I won't be getting any bigger items from here out. Maybe a set of smaller dumbbells since I hate breaking down my ironmasters. Ideally I want to only use at 80# and above. Eventually I want to get a Rogue stainless steel OPB and maybe calibrated plates. If I had a lot of space and super high budget I would have tons of calibrated plates and Ivanko rubber revolver plates that are within +/-0.5# of it's actual weight.

7. No Skill Gap Brown Belt Platinum Member

I would definitely say dumbbells aren't very viable for a home gym. What I mean by this is that they are stupid expensive and you're not going to be able to get a range of dumbbells without blowing tons of cash on them. Having a few sets for different stuff is fine. Home gym stuff is pretty obvious:

What you easily should have: Squat/Power rack, barbell, 300-500 lbs of plates, pull-up bar/dip-bar attachments on to rack or something, some dumbbells and bands and shit.

What I have: 2 barbells, 1 trap-bar, 500+ lbs of plates, 10s-20s-35s dumbbells, two 2.5 inch dumbbell bars (just put plates on them mini barbells essentially, adjustable). I have a shitty but low-key solid Gold's gym bench/squat stand/preacher curl-leg extension-hamstring curl combo. A pull up-bar / dip-bar tower thing, multiple bands, e-z curl bar, neck harness, CoC #1, forearm rollers with plate load, grip gear (pinch block, and other bullshit), shitty heavy bag thing, 25lb kettlebell, foam roller + lacrosse balls, dip belt to add weight, 20lb vest never use it, used to have a prowler sled too - barely used it,

I listed a ton of shit and my takeaway would be this: You don't need it. You don't need all the dumbshit, TS you listed a bunch of retarded stuff at the end and overall. You don't need a fucking treadmill for a homegym, you don't need a cable fly machine lol, or hamstring curl, and the adjustable dumbbells suck...what I have is way better the 2.5 inch plate loaded ones, and cheaper. Just get them on amazon, CAP - not the best quality but they work, they are just hunks of metal.

To be more succinct basically my opinion of the home-gym tiers would be this:

Tier 1: Power-rack (or squat if $ is an issue), barbell, trap-bar (imo), decent plates up to 400 lbs minimum (to start), Pull-up bar attachment to rack, bands for prehab/rehab/rotator cuff work. At least one functional set of dumbbells / kettlebell. Foam roller + lacrosse ball shit.

Tier 2: Adjustable DBs - the loadable plate one, dip-bar if possible, Safety Squat bar (if needed/preferred at all).

Tier 3: Neck harness, forearm/grip equipment, dip-belt to add load pull-ups / dips once you progress, more specialized band shit probably, ez curl bar and specialty bars.

Tier 4: Only you have space and money then you go for the heavy bag / specialized equipment such as a glute-ham raise or an inversion table or the more exotic shit.

TLDR: Power/Squat rack, barbell, plates. Bingo. That's the core. Then I would say it's essential to get the dirt cheap shit like bands, foam roller, lacrosse ball for prehab/rehab stuff too, would be dumb not to get it for 20-50 dollars max.

8. TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

I mean it all depends on what you're training for. A home boxing gym is going to look much different than a home Oly gym.

9. deadshot138 Silver Belt

Fuck the door pullup bar just buy a rack that has one attached to it

10. JimRussel Brown Belt

11. ImmigrantMentality Banned Banned

You don't need a hamstring machine, they're supposed to be bad for your back and there's better exercises you can do anyways. Don't need a treadmill just go out and run. Also maybe just get a resistance band set you can anchor on your door instead of the cable machine.