Sugar Ray Robinson as welterweight footage found!

Everybody go to youtube and search "charley burley analyzing genius.". Very rare footage of one of the black murderer's row.

When SRR was asked by his manager if he wanted to fight Burnley, Ray simply responded "I'm to pretty to fight Charley Burley."

if, that's the key word, fighting like that I don't think he'd even be able to handle a good amateur. We have to give credit and respect to all the old timers, they laid foundations but I honestly can't beleive that a Jack Johnson could hang with any champion past 1935, I don't think dempey could either, nor tunney. If we saw a guy moving like greb did today we'd think he never had a lesson.

It's tough to base Harry Greb's quality off of him goofing around with 48 year old Jack O'Brien. We have to go off of the newspaper reports to really know how he fought. What we can base off of the reports about Greb are a few common things.

1. He was relentless and could fight inside. He was able to work his way inside of big, good fighters like Gunboat Smith, Gene Tunney, and Bill Miske despite their size advantages. Tunney was tremendously complimentary to Greb's ability to fire punches from unique angles setting up his ability to get into the pocket.

2. He was brutal. Greb didn't give a fuck and he intended on busting up the guy in front of him whether it was legal or not. He had 300 sanctioned fights and was knocked out twice.

3. The only way people beat him was by taking the fight to him. The two decisive losses in Greb's prime were to Tommy Gibbons and Gene Tunney, who were able to get off first and force Greb to step back and counter punch.

What does that mean about Greb's talent relative to fighters of today? I don't know, but I'd bet that Greb would get DQ'd if he went up against a good amateur.

I love shit like this, big fan of what I have seen of Sugar Ray Robinson. Bumping to watch later. Thanks for sharing.

It's tough to base Harry Greb's quality off of him goofing around with 48 year old Jack O'Brien. We have to go off of the newspaper reports to really know how he fought. What we can base off of the reports about Greb are a few common things.

1. He was relentless and could fight inside. He was able to work his way inside of big, good fighters like Gunboat Smith, Gene Tunney, and Bill Miske despite their size advantages. Tunney was tremendously complimentary to Greb's ability to fire punches from unique angles setting up his ability to get into the pocket.

2. He was brutal. Greb didn't give a fuck and he intended on busting up the guy in front of him whether it was legal or not. He had 300 sanctioned fights and was knocked out twice.

3. The only way people beat him was by taking the fight to him. The two decisive losses in Greb's prime were to Tommy Gibbons and Gene Tunney, who were able to get off first and force Greb to step back and counter punch.

What does that mean about Greb's talent relative to fighters of today? I don't know, but I'd bet that Greb would get DQ'd if he went up against a good amateur.

All of that is based on writing though. I've read up on Greb and the descriptions of his style were inconsistent. He almost sounds like the classic cliche of the old time boxer who ran to the middle of the ring and windmilled at his opponent until the fight ended.

When you mention Tunney and Gibbons having sucess in bringing the fight to Greb you must consider they were heavyweights while Greb was natural middleweight who just fought heavyweights despite size disadvantage. Here is Greb-Tunney footage:
harrygrebgenetunney-476x600.jpg

Yeah, the deck was hugely stacked against Greb against Tunney.

I agree with the fan man. You have to base Greb's career off newspaper decisions. Not much is known about him or his style. But you can build an assumption that he was a heavy handed bruiser that wore his opponents down, punched from an array of different angles, and literally faught all comers.

The style evolved since then, but he's earned and deserves the respect he gets. Also unlike sports journalists of today, boxing commentators were known as extremely fair. In a time with rampant racism you can find many newspaper decisions going to black athletes. There was a lot of integrity, and I'd be more inclined to believe them than not.

When you mention Tunney and Gibbons having sucess in bringing the fight to Greb you must consider they were heavyweights while Greb was natural middleweight who just fought heavyweights despite size disadvantage. Here is Greb-Tunney footage:
harrygrebgenetunney-476x600.jpg

Great find! What a size disparity!

However, let's assume the two athletes are on an even playing field skill wise, just for example. Look at Greb's legs. They are as wide if not wider than Tunney's. This is a great base to wing powerful punches from. As long as Greb could manage distance, which he couldn't against Tunney, he could have definitely knocked out most heavyweights back then, imo.

Thanks for the share. Greb sounds like a nightmare to fight.

if, that's the key word, fighting like that I don't think he'd even be able to handle a good amateur. We have to give credit and respect to all the old timers, they laid foundations but I honestly can't beleive that a Jack Johnson could hang with any champion past 1935, I don't think dempey could either, nor tunney. If we saw a guy moving like greb did today we'd think he never had a lesson.

I don't agree with this at all. We don't have to say modern fighters are "better" merely because they're modern. It's what they were good at that counts. Johnson's style was a lot of holding and mauling. Like John Ruiz...only WITH mauling, better physical strength, more aggression, harder punching, etc. Ruiz's style gave plenty of people problems.

The problem lies in people picking sides, either old school fighters are better, or THEIR generation was better. The real answer lies somewhere in between. A lot of guys who look silly to us in their training footage, when it came to actually fighting they were difficult to land punches on, and hit like mack trucks. Hence, their records. It's what they were good at that counts.

no way of knowing, I just have to trust my own eyes and alot of things look terrible with the oldtimers. It amazes me that some experts like Ali and Eddie Futch place Johnson in the top 3 heavyweights and I know they've seen the footage. WC Heinz thinks johnson would beat Ali, I can't see that at all and I do think Black folks favor other black fighters just like other groups favor fighters of their race (in terms of ali and futch's opinion)

Johnson fought unlimited rounds in 100 degree sunshine and under different rules. You think maybe he'd be able to adapt his style/tempo for a 12 rounder in an air conditioned arena?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back