Sugar Ray Robinson as welterweight footage found!

MEGAhorse

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.
Next up ... Find some Harry Greb fight footage! I am convinced there must be some somewhere.

Damn those training sessions of Greb look fugly. No wonder his footage has gone missing.

ya, that's exactly what I thought, it's a problem to rate him as high as some people do for me. I mean all due respect to bert sugar but you have to be objective. and people always accuse me of favoring the old guys.

The second video is the best one, dude was ferocious:

ya, that's exactly what I thought, it's a problem to rate him as high as some people do for me. I mean all due respect to bert sugar but you have to be objective. and people always accuse me of favoring the old guys.

The fact that he beat Tunney (who looks damn good on tape) suggests to me that he deserves to be rated very high. Also, his resume is rather incredible.

There have been several of his WW fights available for quite some time now.

And right on cue Seano pisses all over the thread, can't we have nice things ? Huh ?

I'm just saying, its always been a myth that there was NO footage of WW Robinson. I know because I thought so too at one point but was corrected by another poster.

i was always aware of some footage, i've been watching ray docus and so forth for 30 years, a couple of these I never saw, it's always nice to find. I never recall seeing people say we have no welterweight footage of ray but rather that we have little and also his big fights, his historic fights are not on film. His title win vs. bell, none of the lamotta fights when he was young, the ill-fated fight with Doyle when Ray was literally deadly, we don't have much or any of that footage. There has always been footage of the young ray fighting in the golden gloves and showing alot of the same skills and qualities he would later. It's still nice to see a peak fighter, you can see the leanness in his body, and a fighter of that calibre loses a lot just with a few pounds and a little loss in skill.

Damn those training sessions of Greb look fugly. No wonder his footage has gone missing.

Greb was a product of his time. He fought and beat a lot if greats, so hemust of been a great athlete. He would be great today if he had a modern style.

if, that's the key word, fighting like that I don't think he'd even be able to handle a good amateur. We have to give credit and respect to all the old timers, they laid foundations but I honestly can't beleive that a Jack Johnson could hang with any champion past 1935, I don't think dempey could either, nor tunney. If we saw a guy moving like greb did today we'd think he never had a lesson.

if, that's the key word, fighting like that I don't think he'd even be able to handle a good amateur. We have to give credit and respect to all the old timers, they laid foundations but I honestly can't beleive that a Jack Johnson could hang with any champion past 1935, I don't think dempey could either, nor tunney. If we saw a guy moving like greb did today we'd think he never had a lesson.

exactly. If someone posted a vid of themselves like that on youtube he'd be ripped to shreds.

Back